windshield spoiler?

Page 1 of 3
The other day at a traffic light, a convertible passed in front of me with some gizmo atop the windshield, attached to the frame. A spoiler is the closest name I can think of.
Googling doesn't show me anything close. Has anyone here seen such a thing? Maybe spoiler is the wrong word and that's why I can't find it??
Maybe I want one.
Feel free to skip historical narrative: With my '65 and '67 Catalinas, I could open the vent windows so far that they blew air into the passenger compartment, and I could turn the sun visors up and forward so that they did the same thing. And both had big fresh air vents to the left of driver ankles and to the right of passenger ankles, even the '67 that had factory air. IOW, I could get a lot more fresh air than I can now, even with the top down. So maybe I want this thing.
Sunday, I was 90 miles west of here near some little town and as usual, I bought the local newspaper. It had a front page story about a congressional primary not yet settled, maybe in nearyby Pa. I left the advertising section behind and put the rest in the back seat, left side. I was going only 20 or 30 for the next hour but the paper was gone. OTOH, the Wash. Post underneath it was still there. Usually if something tries to blow out of the car, especially a full size piece of newsprint, I see it in the rear view mirror. Today I found the whole section intact stuffed near the rear floor left side.
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 10:12:15 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

I visor? They were on cars in the '40s and '50 at least. I know you're old enough to remember if you're capable!
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 10:33:58 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/j4xe8tj
On Mon, 09 May 2016 23:12:09 -0400, Micky

Wind deflector - or "hair saver" Most that fit on the windshield are uselessm - the ones behind the headrest work a whole lot better.

On Mon, 09 May 2016 23:34:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks. I'll remember that. I still couldn't find one mounted above the windshield, but that's okay, at least I gave it a good shot and I've lost interest.
At speeds over 50 I often put up the windows, and I rarely go over 65, too much noise.

On 5/10/2016 3:09 AM, Micky wrote:

I had one convertible many years ago and it was fun to have back then. About 3 days a year I'd still like to have one. The other 362 days a year the windows are up and the climate control is set at 72. Quiet, nice sound from the XM radio, no wind noise.

Not interested.
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 7:13:30 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was watching a commercial for the 2016 Buick Cascada. The top can be raised or lowered at speeds up to 31 MPH. Having never owned a convertible, this leads me to ask:
Is 31 MPH an slight improvement over other convertibles or a major improvement? In other words, is there a speed at which other convertible tops can be raised/lowered or has it always been required that the vehicle be stopped?
On Tue, 10 May 2016 05:53:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That's pretty fast.

No convertible that I know of had any limit on speed until I got this 2000 Toyota Solara. Its limit was about 2 or 3 mph and it was an enormous nuisance. I bought the shop manual and the convertible supplement, but the relay was shown only vaguely. I asked dealers where it was and two of them asked their mechanic but no one knew. I was also looking behind the back seat and under the fuzzy walls of the trunk and I eventually found it, behind the seat but accessible from the trunk.
I could barely reach it and I couldn't fit in the trunk to get closer. I could barely see it while I reached for it, but I did my best to cut just the right wire, and I cut it, and now there is no speed limit on putting it up and down.
I get stuck in the rain less than every 10 years, but I don't like waiting when I'm going out to put the top down so I unlatch it, then drive off while lowering it. Then when I get home, I start putting the top up when I'm about 200 feet away from parking. Not driving more than 15 or 20 mph either time, I think. I'll check.
I was afraid to raise or lower the top while moving for the first 10 years, but that ended 40 years ago, and never had a problem.
** I mostly know the '65 and '67 Pontiac, the '73 Buick, and the '84, '88, and '95 Lebaron.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 17:33:00 -0400, Micky

Putting the top up (or down) with the car at any speed at all is NOT a good idea. A stiff crosswind will show you why in a hurry - and lighten your wallet getting it repaired.
My personal experience with retractible tops is limited to a 65 Pontiac Parisienne MG B, Jeep CJ and a Sunbeam Alpine - but I've had to work on quite a number of others - both power and otherwize
On Tue, 10 May 2016 17:50:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe I'm only going 10mph. I'll check in a few minutes if I remember, but it's not enough to fully bulge out the fabric let alone bend anything. I've been doing this for 40 years, iow 1000's of times, and 6 cars, so I'm sure.

But other than your own, you only see the broken cars.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 17:58:51 -0400, Micky

No, I serviced a lot of cars that were not broken - customer list of vehicles I saw 3 or more times a year for regular maintenance was well over 600 - plus all the ones I saw once or twice a year - or only once. - and that was at my last job in "the business" The two jobs before that were general repair shops - I was usually the only mechanic - sometimes with an apprentice and often 5 - 7 cars in one day - othertimes only one really twisted one for a day or two -----.
On 05/10/2016 03:58 PM, Micky wrote:

You can be like my father in law. He had a thing for Checkers and Batman. He'd come down the alley, hit the garage door opener, and drive into his bat cave while the door was still retracting. One evening his timing was off. Didn't bother the Checker but the lower panel of the door was never quite the same.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 17:58:51 -0400, Micky

I did remember (for a change). I was going 15 on my way out, and 15 or 16 on my way back.
As to getting stuck in the rain, two occasions were by far the worst (not counting when I was in jail). When I moved to Baltimore I forgot one special piece of metal, so I drove back to NYC and since the car was empty, I decided to take all the scrap wood (the only other thing I left behind). I made it all the way to Baltimore, 150 miles, and was 5 miles from home when the rain poured and I had to hide under an overpass until it stopped. The wood was in the way of putting the top back up.
Another time on the way to Texas I was on I-81 going south in western Va. and it started to rain, but this was when my top motor required hitting to get the motor to start, and this time, I banged it a lot with a wrench but it just wouldn't. And traffic was stalled on the interstate. I just say in the car in the rain for 5 minutes until the traffic started moving. I wonder what the guy 3 feet behind me thought. But everything dried out. The top went up and down for the rest of the vacation only having to be hit not at all or sometimes 3 or 4 times.
Per Micky:

Based on my windsurfing experience, I'd call it *REALLY* fast.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

And they're not even considering wind speed....The user could have a headwind, a tailwind, or a cross wind that could change the stresses by a huge amount.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:03:11 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

At 0:25 of this commercial, the text reads:
"Roof operates at speeds up to 31 MPH. Pretty cool, right!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uUhKO9rKRk

Aside from the fact that I think they should have used a question mark, not an exclamation point, they seem very proud of that feature.
When I first noticed the small print on the screen, I expected it to say something like "Dramatization only. Do not operate roof while vehicle is in motion."
I was quite surprised to see that the small print wasn't your typical disclaimer, but actually a brag.
On Wed, 11 May 2016 07:16:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Wow. I could n't read that. It was so small and went by in only a second I think. When I tried to stop the video, the progress bar wouldn't go away and it covered the subtitle.

Clare and you will be happy to know that I wouldn't raise or lower the top at that speed. 16 is about it.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

Does anybody else think that convertibles lost a lot of their attraction when steel-belted radial tires came into wide use?.... The noise...
--
Pete Cresswell

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 9:11:14 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'd blame more on the expense of the feature vs. the limited usage time, as well as the practicality. As the market appeal for SUV's continues to grow, the appeal of the convertible goes in the opposite direction.
Factor in the growing markets in India and China, where the concept of "open air" brings up images of gas masks as opposed to rolling country roads, and you can imagine the appeal dropping even further.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-10/convertible-car-sales-have-plunged-as-image-of-fun-freedom-dims