Window Jamb Extensions?

Hi!

The other day, I purchased some new blinds to hang for all the windows. The windows I have came with the house. The previous owner installed them and all I really know is that they are the "home depot" brand. I also have to believe that they are standard sizes and nothing special.

The problem that I ran into is that I had to put some spacers between the jamb and the blind support. In the future, I would like to replace the window casings. But at the time, it just seems like the standard blind size is too small for the window. So, for example, I bought 30" wide blinds. On the box, it says that it's a half inch less than what it says, which would bring it to 29 1/2. But yet, around the windows, I have probably at least 1 inch on each side of the blind, which shows the white portion of the window (not the window part that moves, just the part that sits in the wall).

To draw it out very rudimentary, it would look like this....

| casing | white window | blind |

when, I think it would be..

|casing | |blind|

My question, in order to fix this, could I add a "jamb extension"? Is this what one is used for? Also, the reason why I think something isn't right is because on the window itself, there's about a quarter inch 'step' that would be exact blind measurements.

Just wondering if I could add a 1" strip of wood to around the vertical jambs so it would match up to the blinds.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
wiz561

It would be far cheaper to buy custom made blinds which are made to fit the opening you have.

Some of the better lines of ready-made blinds are "cut to fit" at the BORG stores. You simply buy the next larger size and they reduce the width before you leave the store.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

A "jamb extension" is the addition of wood to extend a door or window jamb out beyond the wall surface, such as when you use 2 x 6 studs.

This PDF from Marvin show a typical jamb extension:

It sounds like you want to add some type of trim to narrow the width of the finished opening so that instead of seeing the window sash, you'll see wood along the sides of the blinds. If that's the case, it certainly couldn't hurt to stop by a lumber yard or home center and grab some short pieces of trim of various designs and put them up against the window to see if you like the way it comes out.

If you can't find any trim that pleases your eye, it might makes sense to order custom sized blinds.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah, ok. This makes sense now.

Thank you for the idea. I thought that custom blinds would cost $$$. Unfortunately though, at the home store, the next size blind is way too large. So, I think that what I will do is try your suggestion out and see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Reply to
wiz561

Lowe's have all kinds of sizes, if you can return your blinds for another size. Adding wood spacers seems like a lot of trouble. From what you say, the window opening is 31 1/2"? If so, a 31" blind should be just about exactly right. From what I've read, you measure the exact distance end to end of the opening the blind is to fit. Here is a link for their custom blinds:

Norminn