Why Do Auto Repair Shops ...

Page 3 of 3

Jon Danniken wrote:

Have you ever tried just cleaning them? Makes all the difference.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 8, 11:35 am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

When they charge $19.99 per wiper for 2 minutes of work, and you can two replacements at walmart for <$10, yeah, there's a really good profit margin.

Wiper manufacturers recommend every 90 days. In my experience wipers last 6-9 months.

The rubber does lose flexibility over time. If left long enough, yeah it will dry rot.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

    Yes, they do age. Them may not totally fail but older blades don't clear the window properly.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, they make good profit. Yes, they do deteriorate over time from UV light and heat. OTOH it is good to replace them after a year or two depending on use. If the rubber breaks off it is possible to scratch the windshield. At four years, I'd definitely change them.
Add pictures here
✖
Some auto repair shops will replace the entire car if they can get away with it.
A local Saturn Dealer started advertising $19.95 oil changes a few years ago which was a pretty good deal. I figure a certain amount of "sale building" was excusable.
HOWEVER....after a year or so it started getting out of hand, sexist and discriminatory. I seldom had them mention any more than wiper blades or belts. But I saw them work on women, especially older women with tires, brakes, plugs, etc and get away with it.
They only tried it to my wife once! The tech came out to the crowded waiting room declaring the brakes were worn and dangerous. She informed him LOUDLY...."That's odd. Our Mechanic did a FULL BRAKE JOB ON THE CAR LAST WEEEEEEK!
Got quiet. We quit using them.
RonB
Add pictures here
✖
Priceless!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Way Back Jack wrote:

I'm sure profit enters into the equation. But a more compelling argument is a subsequent accident involving rainy weather.
"I had my car in the shop. They didn't tell me the wipers were bad. It's all their fault granny is dead. I want compensation for pain and suffering and loss of consortium. And throw in some punative damages too."
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Unlike most parts, one can tell by looking when wipers need replacing. It's right before your very eyes!

I'm sure they get brittle becasue of age alone. And 4 years is a long time, but if they are wiping the water off nicely, that's all that matters.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:35:28 GMT, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

off. They generally loose their effectiveness with either age OR use. Generally not good for much more than a year or two at the most.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If you clean them once in a while, they last several years. At least they do here in Seattle.
Add pictures here
✖

I bet that at 4 years they are shot, but it is easy enough to see for yourself. Look at a new wiper blade from the side. The corners are sharp and the profile is symmetrical.
Now look at your 4 year old blades. From sitting compressed for 4 years they will have taken a set and this prevents them from working properly.
Rain or not they are only good for about a year.
--

Roger Shoaf

✖
On Mar 8, 11:35 am, stayin@home. (Way Back Jack) wrote:

in my experience yes, they get hard and then won't flip over. The new silicone blades work great for low mileage cars as they don't do this. I still have ones (PIAA brand - usually wouldn't consider their products because they are best known for ricer lights, but their wipers are actually good) on my 944 that I put on over xmas break either 2 or 3 years ago. Now the ones on my company car, even the good silicone ones, seem to last a year and a half tops before the edges are literally worn out and they start to smear, but at least they are still supple unlike the parts store ones.
nate
Add pictures here
✖