Who is the Speed Queen of Microwaves?

Page 1 of 2

I love my Speed Queen. Probably have it till the day I die.
I do not like Microwave Ovens that blow out in one to three years.
Margo's counter top Microwave just blew out. It is a 0.6 Cu-ft model running at 10 amps. She can not find anything on the web that people do not say are one to three year units. :'(
Anyone know who the Speed Queen of Microwaves is?
Many thanks, -T
On 01/17/2010 08:44 PM, Todd wrote:

The elcheapo Walmart brands last the longest. Goldstar is one. There are many.

I've got a Sanyo that I bought from Circuit City? back in '89 that still works fine.

I like the Panasonic Inverter 1300 watt model. I have two of them, one in my house, and one at a vacation rental I used to occupy. What I like is the % cooking levels.
Originally, microwave ovens on 50% cook power would simply turn on and off half the time. This puts out a wave that is 50% of maximum. It heats a lot more evenly without blowups of whatnots in the food, and makes reheating much less exciting.
Not expensive, either. Both units, only had to replace one small fuse once in one of them in three years now.
Steve
On 01/18/2010 07:29 AM, Steve B wrote:

The reviews I am getting on the Panasonic are not good. The pop out dial, instead of a keypad, is a pain in the ass. Also the display can not be read unless you stick your face right in it. The Inverter sounds really good. Everyone seems to like that.

My model Inverter has a keypad, and you don't have to put the manual right next to the microwave to use all the functions. No dials on this one. Do they still make them with dials?
Steve

I'm on my second Panasonic and find they are workhorses. My first one is still in use at my brother-in-law's and it is now 22 years old.

There are probably 15 brands with just 2 or 3 makers. I have a Maytag over-the-range microwave, no problems. Maybe not the "Cadillac" of microwave ovens, but it has a super 5-speed exhaust fan. The tray moves side-to-side, not around, great for rectangular-dish casseroles. Really, are folks requesting "countertop" models? Wouldn't it be easier to a an eye-level oven?

Samsung is one of the bigger players and LG (Gold Star).
bob

I will NEVER understand microwaves above counter level. I can't image trying to take very hot dishes out of an oven at chest height or higher. It's insane. The first thing I did for my 80 year old mother when she moved into her condo was move the microwave down to the counter from a 5ft shelf. She uses the shelf as a liquor cabinet since she rarely needs the booze and needs a step stool to reach that high. What are these people thinking when they design kitchens in retirement communities?
On 01/18/2010 07:59 AM, Phisherman wrote:

Maytag makes really, really crappy washers. Are their microwaves any better?

I personally think any microwave that is chest high or higher is unsafe because of a spill hazard. And one over a stove is an accident waiting to happen.
Steve

I have a 1973 Monkey Wards microwave that just won't die.
Most of the bad microwaves people brought into our shop just had a bad clock board. Once you jumpered out the clock it worked fine. We had one with a spring would timer, drilled into the control panel that we used for years. Just be sure you still have all the interlocks connected.
On Jan 18, 11:20am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Isn't that the one that can recharge your pacemaker if you're within 15'? ;)
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:23:43 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

I don't know I don't have a pacemaker but I haven't had to charge my cell phone since I got it

I would get a commercial unit or a 3 year full replacement warranty, im sure most consumer units are made by a few factories in china and all are about the same quality, but maybe you have electric service issues like surges.

Not finding any with a turntable. :'(

Get yourself a Sharp Microwave. I just replaced mine, which died after a mere 19 years. Look in the kitchens of many restaurants, and you'll find Sharp microwaves. I see them in fast food places, too. A lot of mom & Pop restaurants don't even have the commercial models. They just go to Target and buy the same one I have for about $160. That's for a full size unit with turntable and all the bells and whistles.
Todd wrote:

I'd suggest a Sharp if they still make them. I gave mine away after 24 years, and it's still in service. I've replaced twice in the past 5 years.
--- ---
On Sun 17 Jan 2010 06:44:30p, Todd told us...

We've had a coutertop Panasonic microwave with inverter technology for about 7 years and it works as well as the day we bought it. We use it numerous times a day for both short and long periods.
This model is almost identical to the one we have...
<http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Home- Appliances/Microwave-Ovens/Countertop-Microwaves/model.NN-H765BF_11002_ 7000000000000005702>