Who Is Responsible For My Neighbors Tree Hanging In My Yard?

Page 2 of 3

Good lord! How many days is this imbecile, Ron, going to continue wallowing in his own feces? Maybe his full name is MO-Ron!
Mys Terry AKA Dragqueen spit forth:

BTW, lets show everyone here your TRUE colors.
Lets start with, I dunno, maybe post number #8?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sailing.asa/browse_frm/thread/68560a11a92c7229?q=sailing+mys+terry&hl=en &

I can't be bothered. Give me the date and time of the first post by someone else who used a vulgarism towards you. The following are not vulgar: Stop whining, cry-eye, incessant wailing, a helpless mess, anal retentive, shut your stupid pie-hole. The one that is left followed your vulgar insult. Most people think it shows some level of ciivilization to be able to insult someone without using vulgar words. They disrespect those who resort to vulgarities (except maybe in a few places, and this would not be one of them).
And very few people know that there is more to sheesh than there is to wow. You can't reasonably call that anything special anymore. In fact it was coined precisely to be unspecial.

What do they say about sticks and stones. Oh yeah, the first guy to use a vulgarity is often the one who gets beaten down.

I read it once. Give me the date and time. I have all the posts in the thread on my computer.

There's no reason you shoudln't have a pruning saw too. They're much cheaper and most people start with that and buy a bigger saw later.
But regardless, you're just concluding he meant the chain saw. He didn't say that.

Well, it would.

Yes, I missed it when you changed to a tree that just lies there. But you did something similar, or the reverse, when you assumed he meant a chain saw when he didnt' say that. Maybe you can win one of these, but you have to yield on the other one.

Are you in Florida? You never said that, afaicr, and I still don't know if you are in Florida, and it doesn't matter. I was just making a casual remark after your strange remark, Don't forget to oil that chain saw. You can have a bonfire for all I care.

I just answer when YOU post. If you stop, I'll surely stop.

You can safely use a stepladder on that surface, or even on plain sand if you know how to operate a sheet of plywood, DUMBASS.
Buy a "Little Giant" and people with average or above intelligence can even set a stepladder completely safely on a slope. You, however, might need some help.

They also make a chain saw, without the motor, that attaches to two ropes. You throw one rope over the limb, pull up the chain, then pull it back and forth until you cut the limb off. I have no idea how long this takes.
If you can't throw the rope up, you can use a slingshot, with a bolt in it. Ham radio shows even sell slingshots with fishing reels attached to make it easier to get the line where you want it, but they are almost 100 dollars. iirc.

You could rent or buy one of those pruners with an extendable handle,no need to use a ladder.They even make small chain saws on long handles for pruning,electric rechargable battery or AC line powered,or gas.
Then just trim the down-hanging branches,not the main limbs. (nor heavy branches) Don't you have to periodically trim other foliage on your own property?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

approach your neighbor diplomatically, suggesting that if he pays to have the tree trimmed, you'll accomodate the tree trimmers working in your yard. If hes not agreeable, I'd cut the tree off right at the property line and throw the branches over the fence into his yard.

You cannot legally throw the branches into his yard, but a little Roundup goes a long way.
Bob

little Roundup

You should see how nutz the neighbors will go from a few well-tossed round-up icecubes. Especially on one of those lawns that looks like a golf course.

Ahhh... The shameless vandal speaks. Obviously, you must drive by regularly to revel in witnessing the damage you caused. This no doubt provides days of personal satisfaction. NOT!
You would probably squirt a packet of ketchup on a traveling masterpiece at an art museum.
...soooooo not cool. Get a life.
:( JR

lawns
drive by regularly

provides days of

I have a life and it was a nice peaceful life before the city folks came and started clearing trees and pouring concrete. Then they came out here every weekend for 20 months at 7am to play with power tools. Then the dug a hole infront of my house so they could connect to city water. Never reseeded because "thats the right of way, not my responsibility". Next was a delivery truck running over my mailbox. Twice. Again not thier problem. The last straw was the huge cement driveway. Now most weekend mornings he's out there mowing and weed-wacking. Has really upset my little nirvana here in the woods. So ye, I get a kick out of watching him dig up the brown spots in the spring and putting new topsoil down. LOL and shoveling his driveway in winter. No need to drive by. Just look out an upstairs window. HAND
On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:55:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Your first half is good. No one else so far iiac suggested talking to the neighbor first, and nicely.
Your second part is bad. If the neighbor honestly thinks it's not his responsibility, you want to start a war that could last for decades if they both live there that long.
First, I too think that only the parts of the tree that are above your property that actually bother you should be trimmed. You don't want to end up with a tree that looks beautiful on your neighbor's property, but ugly when viewed from yours.
Maybe some of the limbs are too low for him too, so approach him nicely about his hiring a trimmer. AIUI, and the People's Court recently said this also, in some states the bill goes to the owner of the tree. So first, before you talk to him, check on what the law is in your state. www.findlaw.com might have it, but it might be easier to ask someone. Who, I don't know.
If he's too busy, lazy, etc. suggest to him that you'll find somoone who will do it at a reasonable price, and you'll give him the bill. Or if you want to do it yourself with the chainsaw on a pole, he might pay for that (although he'll think that If he says, please get an estimate and give me that first, do so. If he wants two, do that. It's one more phone call, I think.
After it's trimmed, if he's ready to pay the bill immediately, give it to him, but if he doesn't pay it or you don't think he will, you pay it and ask him to reimburse you, if that is the law.
Don't go right up to his property line (except maybe with the branches that are less than 6 feet high). It looks petty and it probably won't look attractive either. Pretend it is your tree and have it trimmed (only on your property) to be attractive.
mm wrote:

Been living with that for 30 years. Every other summer, I cut back just short of the prop line limbs within 10 feet of my roof. Ladder, bow saw, and pole trimmer cost $30 years ago. Some owners of that house helped, others didn't care. Last year, current owner looked puzzled but accepted that the limbs could brush my roof in a windstorm. About a month later, three large branches snapped in a storm and crashed into their roof and nice landscaping. A few days later they had a crew severely trim the tree. Here, if a diseased tree could cause damage, I can send a registered letter putting them on notice that they are liable for my damages from their bad tree. The other neighbor collected for damage to his wife's car from a rotten limb.
I did learn one lesson. When I moved in, I helped the original owner remove 4 trees from her backyard. Fixed slow sewer line problems at three homes. Many times she talked about getting rid of the tree in the front yard. I won't miss that opportunity again. ;-)
My early neighbors were nice, we always helped each other out. Those days are gone.
-larry / dallas

you need the chainsaw for your own trees, so why does he have to pay for it?

mm wrote:

I have one small oak tree in my yard that I keep trimmed with my regular chainsaw. I don't need a saw on a pole to trim my tree.
The neighbors oak tree is HUGE and I would have to buy one those saws on a pole to cut back the branches that are hanging in my yard. The poster is suggesting that the neighbor "might" buy one for me if I do the work, instead of paying a service that would charge 100's to prune the tree correctly.
snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Where I live, that would probably bring the police to the door. I can trim branches over my property but I can't mutilate or destroy the tree. Can't cut down a tree without a permit. And probably can't throw trash in my neighbor's yard.
Norminn wrote:

    I agree with you. Most places allow you to trim limbs coming from a neighbors tree that are interfering with your property. That does NOT however mean you have a right to trim the tree even with the property line. Besides, like someone else said, who would want to except to start an argument?? A healthy tree growing on your neighbors property can be as much an asset to your home as one growing on your property.
    A person who would trim a tree even with the lot line would probably object to the shade a neighbor's item cast upon his property. This could be only the beginning of a feud!
On 04/01/06 05:14 am Norminn wrote:

*If* the provisions of English Law have been inherited in the locality in question, the OP has the *right* to cut the offending limbs back to the property line (because they are intruding into his property) and the *duty* to return the cut-off branches to the neighbor, whose property they are.
Nevertheless, asking nicely and perhaps coming to an amicable cost-sharing arrangement probably would be far preferable.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

No way would *I* have the limbs cut off at the property line because, the tree is only 8 ft from the line and the limbs are about 40' long.
That is why I asked the question in the first place. It's not like the tree is in the middle of their yard and some limbs are "hanging" in my yard that need to be "trimmed". The tree might as well be in my yard it's so close and it hasn't been pruned in yrs. So simply trimming off the ends is a temporary fix.
The tree needs to be pruned. And I don't have the $400+ to have it done. Especially when it's not my tree.

Then quit worrying about it. Either prune what you want on your side of the line or quit whining. Your neighbor doesn't owe you anything here.