Who Is Responsible For My Neighbors Tree Hanging In My Yard?

My neighbor has an oak tree that hasn't been pruned in years and there are 2 branches / limbs that are so low in my yard I can touch them.

Who's responsibility is it to have the tree pruned?

Reply to
Ron

In general, you can trim the branchs back to the property line as long as you don't destroy the tree in the process. Unless the tree is an obvious danger due to rot, damage, etc, in most places in the US the neighbor isn't legally obligated to trim it if its just branches extending over the property line.

Reply to
trader4

Well that sucks if I have to pay to have it pruned. Although I can touch the branches the limbs are about 30 ft up. I'm probably looking at about (guessing) $400 if not more.

Reply to
Ron

You don't need to cut off the whole limb, and that really wouldn't be reciommended anyway. Just trim what you can easily reach yourself, and it will be out of your way.

Reply to
Mys Terry

You must have made a great BB player. Able to reach 30 feet!

Reply to
SQLit

"Ron" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You could rent or buy one of those pruners with an extendable handle,no need to use a ladder.They even make small chain saws on long handles for pruning,electric rechargable battery or AC line powered,or gas.

Then just trim the down-hanging branches,not the main limbs. (nor heavy branches) Don't you have to periodically trim other foliage on your own property?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

approach your neighbor diplomatically, suggesting that if he pays to have the tree trimmed, you'll accomodate the tree trimmers working in your yard. If hes not agreeable, I'd cut the tree off right at the property line and throw the branches over the fence into his yard.

Reply to
gofish

You cannot legally throw the branches into his yard, but a little Roundup goes a long way.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Just get you a pole saw, and cut them up as high as you like.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Your first half is good. No one else so far iiac suggested talking to the neighbor first, and nicely.

Your second part is bad. If the neighbor honestly thinks it's not his responsibility, you want to start a war that could last for decades if they both live there that long.

First, I too think that only the parts of the tree that are above your property that actually bother you should be trimmed. You don't want to end up with a tree that looks beautiful on your neighbor's property, but ugly when viewed from yours.

Maybe some of the limbs are too low for him too, so approach him nicely about his hiring a trimmer. AIUI, and the People's Court recently said this also, in some states the bill goes to the owner of the tree. So first, before you talk to him, check on what the law is in your state.

might have it, but it might be easier to ask someone. Who, I don't know.

If he's too busy, lazy, etc. suggest to him that you'll find somoone who will do it at a reasonable price, and you'll give him the bill. Or if you want to do it yourself with the chainsaw on a pole, he might pay for that (although he'll think that If he says, please get an estimate and give me that first, do so. If he wants two, do that. It's one more phone call, I think.

After it's trimmed, if he's ready to pay the bill immediately, give it to him, but if he doesn't pay it or you don't think he will, you pay it and ask him to reimburse you, if that is the law.

Don't go right up to his property line (except maybe with the branches that are less than 6 feet high). It looks petty and it probably won't look attractive either. Pretend it is your tree and have it trimmed (only on your property) to be attractive.

Reply to
mm

Yours.

My neighbor's tree was a wonderful ash providing great shade to our rear deck in the afternoon. It was planted immediately inside his side of the property line between the two houses that are perhaps 35-40-feet apart.

Years ago, during a severe storm, it split in two with his side remaining upright but my side falling over the property line and (mildly) crunching my deck.

It was at MY expense to have the tree removed from my side of the property line.

Prior to the storm, my neighbor and I alternated trimming the tree away from over my kitchen using high-reach, tree-trimming equipment from my company truck. (I am a telco lineman.) We trimmed it perhaps 2-3-times a year during the non-wintertime.

Talk to your neighbor about the situation. You have nothing to lose to simply ASK your neighbor to help pay for any cost incurred having THEIR tree trimmed.

When I built an RV "port" next to the other side of my house, a large branch from my other neighbor's tree hung over the addition. When asked for his permission to trim his tree (at my expense) that neighbor VOLUNTEERED to pay HALF the cost!

If you are not on a speaking relationship with the tree owner, you should fix that. Good luck.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

little Roundup

You should see how nutz the neighbors will go from a few well-tossed round-up icecubes. Especially on one of those lawns that looks like a golf course.

Reply to
Kathy

Been living with that for 30 years. Every other summer, I cut back just short of the prop line limbs within 10 feet of my roof. Ladder, bow saw, and pole trimmer cost $30 years ago. Some owners of that house helped, others didn't care. Last year, current owner looked puzzled but accepted that the limbs could brush my roof in a windstorm. About a month later, three large branches snapped in a storm and crashed into their roof and nice landscaping. A few days later they had a crew severely trim the tree. Here, if a diseased tree could cause damage, I can send a registered letter putting them on notice that they are liable for my damages from their bad tree. The other neighbor collected for damage to his wife's car from a rotten limb.

I did learn one lesson. When I moved in, I helped the original owner remove 4 trees from her backyard. Fixed slow sewer line problems at three homes. Many times she talked about getting rid of the tree in the front yard. I won't miss that opportunity again. ;-)

My early neighbors were nice, we always helped each other out. Those days are gone.

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

you need the chainsaw for your own trees, so why does he have to pay for it?

Reply to
mm

I had nearly the same situation three years ago. Neighbor's huge backyard ash split in a storm and pretty severely crunched my back sunroom, broke many windows, destroyed a newly installed flat roof, gutters and most of the shingles on the house roof. It was not a happy July 4th. The year before, we had maples in our yard pruned, and also a number of large limbs from that ash that went over our property line. Before doing this I had spoken with the neighbor to let him know I was doing this, and also suggested he could get a deal from the tree service if, while they were here, to just take the ash down, something he had mentioned wanting to do, being worried about the tree. He chose to not do it; the next summer the tree fell on my house. As mentioned earlier, once it's in my yard, it's my tree, and my insurance had to take care of removal, damage etc. What remained of the tree in his yard was quite unstable and a danger, as it could easily fall or crack, taking down nearby power lines, my garage, etc., but neighbor had no plans to have it removed. Attitude was, "Well, I didn't PLANT the tree, and I don't care if it falls on your garage or on you." After citing ordinances about dangerous trees, hazards, nuisances and a willingness to pursue other action, he finally did get it taken down some four months later. We haven't spoken much since.

Reply to
Chuck Reti

Where I live, that would probably bring the police to the door. I can trim branches over my property but I can't mutilate or destroy the tree. Can't cut down a tree without a permit. And probably can't throw trash in my neighbor's yard.

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

Thirty years ago I lived in a rental dump that had a huge oak in the yard. "Y" shaped trunk that had been partially split and cabled together before I lived there. When it got windy, we could hear the two halves grind together. Still there last time I looked :o) If it comes down on the house, there will be no more house.

I've moved away from some great neighbors - I had one whom I had never met who strolled over to see what the strange man in my yard was doing - it was just the repair guy for the sprinkler system. Neighbor was just looking out for me. I have met some of the most miserable neighbors in the world, and some of the most delightful strangers :o) I can't pull off the road without the next car stopping to see if I need help. Mebbe they just feel sorry for people who drive '84 Buicks :o)

Reply to
Norminn

It's too bad THEY made it difficult. It was, after all, their tree - at least when it was upright. Fences make for good neighbors. Good luck.

JR

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

I watched a crew and a crane take down a huge tree between two, old houses. It was an all-day, $6k job. :(

Yeah, we are such a BAAAAAAD people.

My wife, with no phone, lost control of her little Corolla and got it stuck in the plowed ridge of snow at the right side of the shoulder. Three people stopped and offered their phone. :)

Ha! Honestly, they probably feel sorry for ANYONE, as do I, that must stop on the side of a busy highway. We have all, by now, seen those incredible police videos of high-speed side-swipes.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Ahhh... The shameless vandal speaks. Obviously, you must drive by regularly to revel in witnessing the damage you caused. This no doubt provides days of personal satisfaction. NOT!

You would probably squirt a packet of ketchup on a traveling masterpiece at an art museum.

...soooooo not cool. Get a life.

:( JR

Reply to
Jim Redelfs