Which binary for repair picture?

Is there a certain binary that NG members use to post pictures of problems?

I posted a picture here once on a binary garden group, which was all I knew, and had my head handed to me.

I just looked at ALL the binaries in "all groups", but did not find what I wanted. They are mostly p*rn, with a few technical, computer, etc.

Would like to have a binary I can use to post repair problems.

TIA

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I don't think anyone would mind if you posted a LINK to a photo. An actual photo attachment would get me pissed off, too many spammers and kiddie script hackers use attachments to trojan horse computers.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Don't use a newsgroup to post your pics. Get a free account here:

to upload photos to. Then simply post the Link in your newsgroup message.

You can also use it to "send" photos to family/friends without the wasteful e-mail attachments.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That's what I DID!

I know better than to attach binaries to a NG message. Yet somebody did get starchy about going to a garden NG to retrieve the picture. Can't win...! Been terrified ever since to post a pic with link to a binary.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I DON'T! My message must have been unclear.

I posted a LINK to a binary picture account. It worked; I got responses.

I also got a snotty message not to send people to a garden picture NG. Big f***ing deal!

Thanks, Jim.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

One snotty message is just one idiot with nothing better to do than harass people. Forget about it. You did fine. If all the regulars in the group let you have it, you'd have something to think about.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Was the question you asked on alt.home.repair relevant to and one you also asked on the garden group?

If not, that's the big objection, that the garden group has to put up with your attachment when the question isn't addressed to them and might not even be relevant to them. For people who are regular readers of a group, and who dl all the headers AND bodies for that group, they have to dl your doggone binary.

Is the ng moderated? If not,they would probably prohibit binaries themselves and ask for web links if anyone was in charge. (AFAICT, no one is actually in charge of non-moderated groups. Rather amazing!)

Many ISPs give you your own webspace for no additional cost and there are various webpages that allow you to post pictures. tinypic is the only one I remember, and it doesn't work really well for me, iirc, in that sometimes the picture doesn't download to my browser, but maybe that is my problem and there are certainly others that work fine for me. Posters here often refer us to pictures they have posted on the web.

I've done it, and there is far more rummaging involved in looking for a picture on a newsgroup than on the web.

Almost all Usenet users read with an offline news reader, so they have to go through 3 or 4 steps to find the ng you have chosen. Then they have to download an unknown number of headers to find the thread, perhaps use the Search function which I never use and don't know how for News, then realize that the ng involved gets a lot of traffic and I'll have to dl more than 200 headers to find the thread I want, maybe more than 1000. Then I have to dl the body, then click on the body's attachment and hope it comes up in my browser.

Believe you me, a link to the web is far easier. It's one step instead of about 10.

Reply to
mm