Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 10 of 16
On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:17:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Unsafe work place. There you have it.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.
On Sun, 29 May 2016 10:56:57 -0500, Vic Smith

So fix the HVAC problem if you want a smoking bar. OSHA has plenty of rules about fresh air makeup and air quality in environments a lot more dangerous than a little tobacco smoke. I worked in computer rooms when smoking was legal and the smoke was never a problem., The amount of air moving through there pretty much made it gone in seconds. I was a lot more worried about paper dust and other airborne chemicals from laser drums and such.
Planet Earth. Smoking on Venus, please.

Is that equal opportunity under the law? No.

Business owners are wising up to their legal obligations regarding the environment their workers have to live in every day.
"LEGAL RISKS
Workers who are not currently protected by state or local laws that create smoke-free workplaces nevertheless have legal options available. For example, an employee could file a workers’ compensation claim against an employer for illness or injury attributable to exposure to secondhand smoke on the job. Such claims may increase an employer’s workers’ compensation premiums, an employee could file a disability discrimination claim that an employer failed to provide a “reasonable accommodation”—in this instance protection from exposure to secondhand smoke—if the worker has a disability (such as asthma) that is exacerbated by exposure to secondhand smoke, or an employee could file a claim that the employer failed to provide a safe workplace, based on a common law duty."

Maggie

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:25:23 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Yes it is. If you don't like working in a bar or restaurant that allows smoking, then don't, there are plenty others, right now most of them, that don't allow smoking. You don't want to work in a slaughter house or coal mine, you don't. See how simple that is?

What you just cited is another example of how the zealots work. They are never satisfied and will never stop. Above they are using FUD and threats of legal action. Just what this country needs, more lawsuits. If you have a restaurant and want to allow smoking, the employees know about it, there is no such legitimate case. But with a few million bucks from lib whackos, they sure could drag you through hell and ruin you anyway.
And want to know why you can't get any more gun laws through Congress, why the NRA is opposed to all of them? Because they see how these libs operate. They are never satisfied, whatever is passed is never enough, it's just one more step to make us all conform to their rules, their was of life. That's not my America.
On 5/29/2016 10:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Some people don't have a choice but to work where ever they can find a job. It's the employers duty to provide a safe work place for all of their employees.

Zealots?? How do you figure?

It's a public health issue, and it's been proven that secondhand smoke hurts people. Why's that so hard to grasp?

--
Maggie

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 12:04:22 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Then ban offshore fishing, logging, etc. They are dangerous, have risks to your health too. Some people might not have a choice and could wind up there too. Of course, this whole issue about there not being a choice is pure BS. You don't want to work in the bar that allows smoking, work somewhere else, it really is that simple. This is just typical lib BS, that people are being "forced" to work in smoking bars. YOU are the one forcing people to conform to your ways. I say leave them free to choose.

I answered that below, read it:

Why is it so hard to grasp that if I want to host a cigar dinner in a private room at a restaurant and all those involved are OK with it, it should not be up to you to force us to not do it? Why is it so hard to grasp that if some people want to have their own bar, where smoking is allowed, that it's OK? No one is forcing you to go there. YOU are forcing us.
On 5/29/2016 11:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:

How many times do I have to tell you I'm a conservative?
Limiting secondhand smoke is a good decision and has nothing to do with being a liberal or being a conservative.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:57:09 -0500, Muggles

You are "conservative" in an ISIS sort of way. You want to impose your beliefs above the freedom of others, even in places you will never go.

Oh please ... It isn't my belief that smoke harms people, it's a FACT that I can provide multiple references and documentation to support that conclusion.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 14:54:55 -0500, Muggles

The trace chemicals in a whiff of smoke is NOT dangerous and you will have a hard time finding real facts to prove it. Anyone can write a "study" and cherry pick a few data points to "prove" their assertion. If you are not actually providing data about a particular dose, and establishing the threshold limit values you are not saying anything. That is straight from OSHA. This "second hand smoke" thing is a red herring unless you actually establish some values for how much smoke you are talking about.
It is still true that most of the people who call themselves "Liberal" and those who call themselves "Conservative" are usually neither. They both want an obtrusive government to back their particular crusades.
On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:04:17 -0500, Muggles

Are you saying there is a shortage of waiter jobs in non smoking places? I bet it is the other way around because smokers tip better.
Muggles wrote:

Good grief!
I'm glad I won't be around all that much longer, don't want to see what you people have wrought.
On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 10:18:20 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree. The classic example is that here and in many places, you can't even have a once a month cigar dinner in a private room at a restaurant. That's where the zealots have brought us. And I think you can probably add that to the list of reasons the angry mob is behind Trump. They are fed up with this crap.
On 5/29/2016 10:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

When you smoke in a room like that, the smoke and all the chemicals and carcinogens in that smoke is absorbed into the furniture, carpet, window curtains or shades, everything.
--
Maggie

On 29/05/2016 16:48, Muggles wrote:

--
Bod

On 5/29/2016 11:06 AM, Bod wrote:

Kind of a silly statement there ...
--
Maggie

On 29/05/2016 17:22, Muggles wrote:

does that harm you unless you sniff or lick the furniture?
--
Bod

On 5/29/2016 11:26 AM, Bod wrote:

How is a non-smoker supposed to know a previous event took place in a restaurant that allowed smoking?
Additionally, a non-smoker can enter a room where smoking had taken place and they can smell the stench - it emanates from the objects that have absorbed the chemicals. After a smoking event has been allowed to take place in a restaurant area, it's no longer conducive to being a healthy area for a non-smoker.
How many events can a restaurant owner book that allow for smoking these days, and how many non-smokers would never book the same area for events because of the stench left behind?
It's not financially smart to book events that allow smoking.
--
Maggie

On Sun, 29 May 2016 11:35:59 -0500, Muggles

Again you are confusing "offence" with "health"

Then I guess they property holder will lose money. Why should that be any of your business. Get even with him and just leave, refusing to ever come back. If this is really a thing, the market will decide it.