Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 4 of 16
On 05/30/2016 10:06 PM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

I know one of those (drinks too much beer too).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I know plenty people who stopped it or cut down severely (as in to about a quarter) to save money. It wasn't that difficult from what they said, no different to giving up chocolate for example.
--
"TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees."
"Centre, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"
On 31/05/2016 19:26, Mr Macaw wrote:

--
Bod

I don't believe you. You'd manage just fine without the tobacco :-)
--
Tip of the day: Do not fart in the bath while you have the runs.

On 31/05/2016 19:44, Mr Macaw wrote:

--
Bod

Tobacco does fuck all compared to other substances.
--
The average lifespan of electronic devices is between zero and infinity, or 2 days after the warranty runs out, whichever comes first.

On 31/05/2016 19:53, Mr Macaw wrote:

--
Bod

You know tobacco is shit, that's why you enhance it.
--
Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

Per Bod:

I once heard somebody say "I'm not addicted to cigarettes because I can quit any time I want to..... and I know that because I have quit dozens of times."
--
Pete Cresswell

Exactly. It's what keeps us round. I am in shape, round is a shape.
--
An optimist thinks this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears this is true.

Better review your information sources vis-a-vis tobacco.
It's an open-and-shut slam-dunk.
If you can cite any credible source anywhere that says tobacco is not addictive, I might be interested to look at it.
--
Pete Cresswell

Personal experience.
--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

And that of a colleague who smoked 30 a day, then stopped suddenly because he had a boy, and his wife said they needed to save money. I noticed no change in his character.
--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

Addiction and the susceptibility to it is really different from person to person. Some of us are fairly immune, others are very susceptible and those folks can find themselves addicted to any number of things. It might just be the lack of the "will power" gene.

Odd, as I have bugger all will power. If I want something, I can't do without.
--
Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.

Getting a bit grumpy because you're missing something you enjoy is not the same as almost dying due to a chemical imbalance. I suggest you look up addictions to some of the more powerful drugs people inject, then get things into perspective.
--
If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.

On 05/30/2016 10:00 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[said]

People SAY they're addicted to tobacco (physical addiction). Maybe it IS an excuse, and "hasty habit" is actually what it is.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

If they can't have a cigarette, they get grumpy, but you'd do that if money was taken away from you too. Or days off. Or a holiday.
--
What's a Scotsman's cure for seasickness?
He hangs his head over the side of the boat with a pound coin between his teeth!

From accounts of people I know who have successfully kicked nicotine, I take away the notion that it goes way, way, way, waaaaaay beyond that - although I have never heard of physical illness - as in vomiting or convulsions.
--
Pete Cresswell

Nobody I know that has quit cigarettes was anywhere near as annoyed/upset/etc as someone who had lost a large sum of money.
--
A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says, "You've been brought here for drinking."
The drunk says, "Okay, let's get started."