Where should smoking be illegal?

Page 3 of 16
On 05/29/2016 04:52 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

And THAT is "supposed" to be comforting to those who are dying because of a speeding driver.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

What a stupid thing to say. The point is it's unlikely to happen. We as a society should not react to something that kills 1 in a million. We should concentrate our resources on things that kill 1 in a 1000.
--
Archimedes principle: When a body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.

In this case, using your example, if some of that 200 people killed by a speeding car were smokers, they would say it was the smoking that killed them. That is how they can pile up the huge statistics they use. When a smoker dies of a heart attack, it is always chalked up to smoking, even if the smoking was the most physical activity this guy had, he weighs 350 pounds and eats bacon at every meal.

I know it may just be anecdotal but my father, mother, sister and very soon my brother in law are dead from smoking related disease. I do have some personal experience here. My grandfather did live to be 100 and he didn't smoke, but he was around smokers all his life.
On 30/05/2016 04:12, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Indeed. Then we see anecdotal facts like the oldest woman who ever lived actually smoked all of her life and died naturally at the age of 122. Maybe the Scientists should study why some people seem immune from smoking related problems.
--
Bod

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Call me a cynic, but I think that what is behind at least 80 percent of the "Second-Hand Smoke" thing is that people just can't deal with the stink.... and it's not cool to complain about the smell, so they revert to more PC issues.
--
Pete Cresswell

But the smell is nice.
--
My wife sat down on the couch next to me as I was changing channels. She asked, what's on TV?
I said, Dust.

The people who are the most fervent are the ex-smokers and I suspect that is because they fear starting up again if they smell the smoke and see others smoking. Everyone I know who falls off the wagon, does it because they are around other smokers and decide to "just have one". It is like recovering alcoholics who want to shut down all the bars and ban drinking.

Except neither tobacco or alcohol are addictive.
--
The Official MBA Handbook on business cards: Avoid overly pretentious job titles such as "Lord of the Realm, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India" or "Director of Corporate Planning."

Maybe in UK but everything people do here seems to be some kind of "addiction". ;-)

People call things addictions when they enjoy them and want to do them again. That's not an addiction. Addictive things actually fuck about with your brain's chemistry so you need them and if you don't get them you get withdrawal symptoms.
--
If one of the questions in a GCSE exam was "express 4.8% as a fraction", most would write "low battery".

On 30/05/2016 17:43, Mr Macaw wrote:

You're talking bullshit about cigarettes and alcohol *not* being addictive.
I get withdrawal symptoms from a lack of a cigarette. I gave up once for 3 weeks and it changed my character from being laid back to an angry animal. So much so that my missus told me to start again.
--
Bod

Must be just me then. I've never felt any compulsion that I must have something I stopped having.
--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...

Per Mr Macaw:

When I smoked it was a full pack in the evening - along with about a gallon of wine coolers.
One morning, I was riding to class with this bad taste in my mouth and I said to myself "I don't want to do this anymore".... and quit cold turkey with no problems. No will power either... my self-denial will power is close to Nil as evidenced by my inability to cut back on eating.
But, coincidentally, I quit going to the college bar where I smoked the cigarettes and drank the wine coolers.
All I can think of is that my addiction was somehow state-dependent - like when they put alcohol in the water and teach goldfish to navigate a maze.... and the fish lose the ability to navigate the maze when there is no alcohol in the water.
There's a book called "Licit & Illicit Drugs" by Edward M. Brecher and the Editors of Consumer Reports (Little, Brown and Company - Boston - Toronto, 1972) in which they recount an episode where the members of a New York Synanon group decided they were spending too much money on cigarettes and quit cold turkey for purely-economic reasons..... and the consensus among those addicts was that quitting cigarettes was harder than quitting heroin.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Mr Macaw:

Not according to the book cited.
In fact, they say that heroin addicts quit "Cold Turkey" on somewhat of a regular basis for economic reasons - when their tolerance/required doses for the desired effect get too high.
They quit, tolerance drops, habit gets cheaper, and then they resume.
That's per the book - I have never known anybody who was a heroin addict.
--
Pete Cresswell

What's the drug you see on TV/films where people look like they're about to die and the hospital has to administer something else to keep them alive?
--
A juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police. "What are these matches and lighter fluid doing in your car?" asks the cop.
"I'm a juggler and I juggle flaming torches in my act."

I have no clue.... but would observe that it *is* TV/Films.....
--
Pete Cresswell

Nah, it was real aswell, on the news or something.
--
Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 2826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night.

Per Mr Macaw:

I think of TV network news as entertainment rather than actual news.
They get some of it right, but there is so much really-moronic content and gross exaggeration that I discount it as a useful source of information.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 7:02:15 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My GF works at a drug / alcohol treatment center. she reports going cold turkey on heroin is very dangerous. i know a heroin addict who is dying she has that wasted look. plusa heavy smoker she has COPD too.
nearly all drug addicts are smokers too