Where should smoking be illegal?

No but they cause a lot more deaths than second hand smoke when they are texting in their car.

Bullshit. People can multitask. In fact if you can't, you can't drive anyway, as it's already many things to do at once.
--
Gardening Rule:
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.

I am pretty sure that the science says that is not true in the strict sense of computer terminology.
Instead of "Multitasking", it is more like "Time Slicing"
--
Pete Cresswell

On 05/31/2016 12:33 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It's "Time Slicing" that people can do, and they're not very good at it. Especially when one or more of the tasks is time critical.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Bullshit, you clearly know nothing about how the brain works. It's divided into different parts for different types of task, just like a computer is. For example, having a conversation while walking. Neither impedes the other.
--
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

On 31/05/2016 20:31, Mr Macaw wrote:

A simple example of multitasking; I can stir 1 cup of tea with my left hand whilst putting sugar in another cup with my right and singing at the same time, plus tapping my foot.
--
Bod

But you can't tap your foot to one song while singing another.
--
A blonde is walking down a creek. While she's looking around she notices Judi walking along the other side of the creek. She yells to the other blonde. "Hey, how do I get to the other side?"
Judi replies, "You are on the other side!"
Tue, 31 May 2016 19:28:27 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

According to an old NASA article (I can't find a reference to it off hand, sorry) the average human brain cannot handle doing more than three things at nearly the same time. The more critical the tasks, the less likely we're able to accurately perform them while doing something else. Our brains aren't as direct or single task oriented as the computers we use.

You also have to look at data paths, access to DASD, access to RAM and how the firmware/software is written.

The point is two or more things can easily be happening simultaneously. One CPU core is doing a calculation, while the other is loading from memory. Same is true of the brain.
If what you said was true, then I couldn't run 4 programs at the same time maxing out all 4 cores, with all of them running the same speed as if they were run individually.
--
Mixed emotions are when your mother-in-law drives your new Ferrari off the cliff.

Mr Macaw wrote:

Time was - maybe still - there were instructions to enable/disable interrupts. A CPU can only do one thing; it can SEEM to do multiple things because it pauses what it is doing (interrupts) to go do something else. That is totally transparent to the user because of the speed at which things are done. Even 45 years ago when CPU speed was around 1/1000 of the current speeds, the CPU was processing 100,000 instructions per second.
It was sometimes necessary to disable interrupts; one I recall was for floppy disc read/write.

Have you not heard of multicore processors? Did you not know there are other chips besides the CPU, like the disk controller, the memory controller, the PCI controller, the graphics card, ....
--
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Math co-processors comes to mind... but that might be a subject for some other thread.
--
RonNNN

On 05/31/2016 09:07 PM, RonNNN wrote:

I have an old data book for intel CPUs (that goes through the 80386), which lists a couple we don't hear about much, maybe because they don't fit in with the IBM-PC:
8089: I/O coprocessor 80376: 80386 without real mode
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

The original math co didn't work like you might expect. :) It was there and would render an assist, only, if, the program specifically requested it's help. Otherwise, the CPU was going to be doing the work.
Things are happening so fast in a PC these days that you might think it's 'doing all kinds of things at the same time', but, it's not really.

I read that as "arse" and thought you meant your boss had done so when you dared to take a personal call during work time.
--
Gardening Rule:
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
....or statisticians.

Exactly. What they usually do is not quote the total number of people. Like "200 people were killed by speeding drivers" - yes, out of 65 million. That's pretty good odds.
--
When you're having a really bad day and it seems like people are trying to piss you off, remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 to extend your middle finger.

....unless yer unfortunate enough to be one of the 66.
nb

I'll put you down as failing stats class. Let me give you a word of advice, never place bets on horses, you wouldn't understand the odds.
And where did you pull the number 66 from? You can't even get your incorrect argument right.
--
Cold showers/baths/swimming:
1) Cure Hayfever. Apparently this is due to the strengthening effect on the mucous membranes.