What to use on table saw to prevent rust

I guess some type of wax? Car wax like Turtle Wax or something special? Thanks.
There are specific-purpose products for this ("Top-Kote" is one) but Johnson's paste wax works just fine.

Another option is just to ball up a piece of wax paper and scrub the tabletop with that.

Baby Powder, or talc is cheap and protects the table without leaving film or residue.

Do not use car wax. Many contain silicones that will get on the wood and make finishing a nightmare.
Depending on circumstances, Johnson's Paste Wax my be enough. For more sever climates, Topcote, Bosehield T-9 are good. Any dealer in woodworking supplies will have what you need. www.leevalley.com and www.woodcraft.com both carry the products
If you have rust already, Top Saver is the best product for removing it. Easy to use and works fast. Amazingly fast.
I use WD-40. A light spray followed by a rubdown with a dry cloth to remove any excess that might transfer to wood being cut. WD-40 is exceptional at preventing rust. My saw is in a somewhat damp area of a basement and using WD-40 prevents any rust for me. I've had my saw outside and a sprinkle of rain comes up and wets the surface - a quick spray and rubdown prevents any rusting.

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:05:46 GMT, "HarryS"

Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.
Google for rec.woodworking newsgroup as it has been discussed to death there. DON'T use car wax, possible silicone will cause problems finishing. Johnson's wax is often suggested as is Top Coat spray.
On 1 Jan 2006 23:04:39 -0800, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On 1 Jan 2006 23:04:39 -0800, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I use Johnson's Paste wax (buy it at Lowes, HD, WalMart or Ace hardware). Car wax may contain silicates which is not good for a cast iron table saw top. A small-wattage light bulb under the table will help prevent rust too.
Phisherman wrote:

Car wax won't damage tablesaw tops. The problem with silicates is that they have a bad effect on the workpiece when you attempt to finish it. So it damages your wood, not your saw.
I use Johnson's Paste Wax on mine.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN