What to use to prevent stepping on nails

It's been years since I stepped on a nail, but it happened again. When I'm working on a project, I never leave boards laying around with nails sticking up. I either remove them, bend them over, or at least stick them in the ground for a brief time. If I have a pile of used naily boards that I intend to reuse, I stuck them out of the way, where I know they wont get under foot, and still try to point the nails downward.

But the problem is that other people leave them in dangerous places. I was recently salvaging some lumber from a demolition. The house had been crushed, and was piled next to a garage which I had permission to salvage the garage lumber. In many places I had to literally walk on the debris from the crushed house, and was very careful to watch my steps for nails. I've done this many times and never stepped on one. But someone had left a board with spikes laying on the lawn, which had not been mowed in months. It could not be seen, and one of those damn spikes went right in my foot, which lead to a severe puncture wound as well as a sprained ankle, because when the nail went in, I fell down.

The foot is healing, although slowly. That's after several visits to the doctor antibiotics, pain pills and an ankle splint, plus several days lost from work and having to use crutches for a few days, not to mention the pain.

I keep thinking that this will be the last time I step on a nail, but I've come to the conclusion that no person can be careful enough, particularly when working away from home where some other idiot left a naily board under lawn grass or a tarp or a million other hidden places.

This got me thinking and asking if there is any sort of shoe insert manufactured that will prevent a nail from going into the foot? I do not know of any shoe or boot sole that is strong enough to prevent a nail from going thru. I guess a sturdy leather is better than tennis shoes or some plastic sole, but still, a nail can and will go thru. Steel toed shoes only protect the toes, and actually a nail in the toe area is far less painful than in the mid-foot or heel. Plus the nail might go between the toes (I was lucky enough to do that once).

Anyhow, unless there is a special shoe made for this purpose which I am not aware of, do they make some sort of steel inserts to put inside of shoes? I'm thinking of cutting some from some heavy gauge steel, putting them in my shoes, and putting a foam pad over them. This is not that difficult to do, but before I "reinvent the wheel", I thought I'd ask if there is something already made for this purpose.

Thanks

Reply to
mancave

Usta be, you could buy army surplus Vietnam jungle boots, the one's with the canvas upper. Since there was an ever present danger of simple nails-in-a-board cong booby traps, they started making those boots with a metal plate in the bottom. At least that's how I remember it. Whether or not those surplus jungle boots are still being made with said metal plate, --or even at ally-- I cannot say, but it may be worth exploring.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well, whattya know, first web search reveals:

Note the "Spike Protective" in the description.

nb --king of the web! ;)

Reply to
notbob

That sounds miserable. I think the term you're seeking is "steel shank boot".

What is the steel shank on work boots? In: Clothing [Edit categories] Answer: What is a steel shank and when is it used? This is a metal plate in the sole of the boot that makes it more comfortable for a worker to stand for a long time on a narrow peg. It provides extra support for the foot, and is used for climbing.

It can also serve a purpose for safety in that if you step on something sharp that would normally puncture the book the steel shank stops it from entering your foot

. Christ> It's been years since I stepped on a nail, but it happened again. When

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 23 Sep 2013 11:43:02 GMT, notbob wrote in Re Re: What to use to prevent stepping on nails:

Well, the OP was looking for an "insert"; but IMO the above boot is a better solution given the price. I wouldn't be surprised if inserts, if you can find them, are around the price of the above boots.

Reply to
CRNG

Hi, Sorry to hear that. Hope wound is healing, not infected. There is no 110% safety measure, I am safety freak. Industrial work boots or 'Nam era Jungle boots(maybe from surplus store?) which all has steel sole plate embedded.

If there is loose nails in work area, I sweep with big magnet to collect them. But it won't pick up Aluminum nails.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Any good quality shoes has shank. It does not cover whole bottom. It is like a shaft to support sole. It is like back bone in our body.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hope he had a tetanus shot recently or got one after the injury.

Reply to
willshak

On 9/23/2013 3:11 AM, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote: ...

I'm curious what you _were_ wearing for footgear (and other protection as well, perhaps, during this expedition)?

Reply to
dpb

Problem with "jungle boots" is that the soles wear out very quickly if you walk a lot on rough concrete, brick, etc. Had a pair in college and the soles were smooth in maybe 18 mos. I'm sure I got them at some army surplus or other.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When I read the OP's post, the picture of the "new" jungle boot popped into my mind from the Popular Science magazine I read back during The Vietnam War. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Any place that sells work boots will sell both steel toed, steel soled as well as work boots with both a steel toe and steel sole.

My understanding of a "steel shank" in a work boot is that it's a short narrow plate of steel that makes it more comfortable if you have to stand on a steel ladder or steel pegs (such as those on a telephone pole) for long periods of time. However, if they can put a steel shank in the sole of a work boot, they can make that shank larger and call it a steel sole work boot to protect the foot from stepping on something sharp.

You should also be aware that people that work in meat packing plants that use knives to cut up meat will wear gloves made of fine chain mail to prevent cutting their hands. It may be possible to buy that chain mail material from the manufacturer and cutting into the size and shape of an insole. You could then use double sided tape to stick that chain male insole to the bottom of an ordinary insole, and slip that into your regular shoes.

Reply to
nestork

Rx. bush worker boots, e.g. Forest brand by Acton (Quebec.) They cost $150 to $200 and last about 10 years.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Kevlar in boots are for newbies of a CCW.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

given the risks of stepping on a nail is it really worth it? at least as i get older i try to be more careful, at 56 i heal slower

Reply to
bob haller

Some cut.

Not what you asked but might be worth a try. I guess workers who stand on blacktop a lot during summer will fasten small pieces of wood to their work boots. It would give you an excuse to use duct tape.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's like breakfast cereal. Means they added it, but it doesn't do much.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, leave it to the kids. Know what you mean about old. Just passed 50.

. Christ> given the risks of stepping on a nail is it

really worth it? at least as i get older i try to be more careful, at 56 i heal slower

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that's a terrific idea. Love it. Summer asphalt really can cook ones feetsies.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm older than you and I am extremely careful. I heal slower too. But when a naily board has grass growing over it, and cant be seen, it will getcha. That's what happened to me. I just had on some cheap plastic soled canvas shoes too. I tend to stay away from thick leather shoes in hot weather, because they overheat my whole body. But if I ever do another job where there may be a hidden nail, I will wear whatever protects my feet. Nails in the foot are very painful. But the doctor said it's healing, even though I still cant step on that part of the foot.

Reply to
mancave