Fire Extinguishers Revisited

Doing some web surfing, this morning. Find a product called a First Alert Tundra.

At least one customer is thrilled:

89 of 95 people found the following review helpful 5.0 out of 5 stars Completely and totally AMAZING September 17, 2009 By Dead_Cow Size Name:1-Pack|Amazon Verified Purchase These things literally stopped a condo complex from burning down. Got up this morning at 5 a.m. and saw the front of a condo entryway across the parking lot engulfed in flames. My brother went outside, set off his car alarm, and started yelling to wake people up. I called 911. By the time I got outside, most of the neighbors were up... and just standing there staring. No one was doing a damn thing. So I ran back in and grabbed my 2 First Alert AF400 Tundra Fire Extinguisher Aerosol Spray, and handed one to my brother and said "Let's try to contain it!". He scoffed that "These are just little cans!", so I told him it was better than just watching. To be honest, I thought we were going to look like kids with toys trying to put out a well-established house fire with these, but whatever, right?

To my complete and utter amazement (I had bought these in case one of my sons started a small fire in the house cooking, or whatever), not only did these small extinguishers partially contain the fire, they completely extinguished it. Giving me time to run into the guy's house, shut off his circuit breakers, and get out his garden hose, turn it on, and completely extinguish the fire before the fire department showed up

*15-20 minutes* after I called.

I've attached pictures of the fire's damage to the product. It could have been a lot worse.

I would recommend these in a HEARTBEAT. They performed beyond what I thought they would OR could. If you're on the fence thinking you need a "real" fire extinguisher, I can assure you - these are as real as any fire extinguisher ever, and a heck of a lot easier to use.

4 Comments |
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Consumer Reports May 2010 assessment: We tested two aerosol fire sprays, the First Alert Tundra and the Shield Fire Protection Kitchen Guard, and have judged each as Don't Buy: Performance Problem. Unlike the extinguishers we tested, neither has a pressure indicator that shows whether the unit is ready for use. And the sprays are not intended to replace a standard extinguisher (NFPA 10 compliant) where required, as the makers say on the labels. The sprays sometimes made the grease fire in our tests flare up before they put it out. That could cause the fire to spread or prompt the user to stop the spray. We found that two of the 10 Tundra samples didn't properly discharge."

The customers who aren't thrilled apparently got one of the 20% that don't work. Given your history, which one do you think you'll get?

Reply to
rbowman

Some of those 5 star reviews are from people who haven't had to use it. I don't know how anyone can give any review when they haven't used the product and are basing it on hope that it will work.

Reply to
willshak

Well, I'd be sure to get one that leaks all over the place, and is found dead at time of use. I'd have to borrow a stamp at the red cross shelter, and write them for replacement coupons. While my house is being rebuilt. Well, trailers are seldom rebuilt, so I'd need a new trailer.

. Christ> Storm>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Heard on the radio news today, 19 firms being investigated for faking reviews.

Reply to
TimR

Heard that too. Some good reviews (or bad ones for competitor's products) come from foreign countries like Bangladesh.

Reply to
willshak