Fire Extinguishers

would say that this is the end of the service trade.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

(Insurance Company) "So, the last person to check the extinguisher before the fire was the work experience trainee? Where are the records of that check?" "They were in the filing cabinet inside the burnt-out building" "Payment refused."

Reply to
John Williamson

>>> I would say that this is the end of the service trade.

It's all a load of shit these days. The inspection would have been documented and uploaded to a secure server. Or, placed inside a fire proof cabinet.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Assuming I have a CO2 (gas) extinguisher that I use frequently for trivial fires (and have backup for real fires), what's my best plan for buying/refilling it?

"Having fewer fires" is not a practical option.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

fires (and have backup for real fires), what's my best plan for buying/refilling it?

Modify a pub CO2 cylinder to be a fire extinguisher

Reply to
The Other Mike

Possibly, for a fixed install via nozzles, but too heavy to use conveniently by hand.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

fires (and have backup for real fires), what's my best plan for buying/refilling it?

I had to get one for the insures peace of mind. I asked them, they told me a local chap who dropped a couple off when he was 'in the area' and refilled it for bugger all when I used it to control a chimney fire (I shouldn't say this, but the fire briugade swept the whole chimney for me for free :-))

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

really they are NOT expensive.

If you find a small one man band type company to supply them

I think I got a water/Nitrogen and a powder one for less than £50

And the refill was about 15 quid for the big one

And it really worked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are peanuts to refill, check the local industrial estates. It is a commodity task, but one where the overheads are small, work boring, and a reasonable earner that is not too great to attract many entrants.

Actual rating of the extinguisher can be affected by the components, eg, cheap

2kg CO2 may be circa 34B, slightly more for a Gloria frost free with 55B rating.

The new foam extinguishers are also rated for electrical fires up to many kV as I recall. Powder is good at shagging quite a few things once they are hot.

Reply to
js.b1

Is a Gloria a frost free freezer with a horn on? We need to be told. Please tell...

Reply to
Mr Pounder

:-)

No, a boring big red cylinder, with protruding black frost free (double ski= nned) plastic horn, with higher 55B rating. Gloria C20GH for about =A330+de= livery on most online places. Not as high as a 5kg extinguisher, but a good= bit better than most other 2kg extinguishers.

Reply to
js.b1

Powder is very good at creating an expensive mess to be cleaned up.

"Vandals set off fire extinguishers in a church, causing £240,000 of damage."

(PDF)

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

:-)

No, a boring big red cylinder, with protruding black frost free (double skinned) plastic horn, with higher 55B rating. Gloria C20GH for about £30+delivery on most online places. Not as high as a 5kg extinguisher, but a good bit better than most other 2kg extinguishers.

Reply to
Mr Pounder