What's Stealing Squirrel Bait? (Have-a-heart)

Page 1 of 2
I have a Have-a-heart trap positioned to trap squirrels (if any) if they exit a hole in my eaves. They have been in there, but I have reason to believe they were not there when the trap was placed. (I saw a pair run by nervously when I was placing it.) For bait, I used cashew nuts imbedded in peanut butter. My question: Although the trap has never been sprung (I have tested it serveral times) the bait keeps disappearing. Should I suspect mice, or, if not mice, then what? Whenever I have used Have-a-hearts, this has always happened and I have yet to catch a squirrel anywhere! If mice are suspected, what bait should I use that would be more squirrel-specific, and would I have to wire it to the tray? Thanks all for help! Frank

You have 2 possibilities, either they are eating it without stepping on the trigger or it is something too small to trip the trap. Try putting the bait in different spots so they have to move more to get it.
Andy suggests:
I had a similar problem with mousetraps where the mouse learned, apparently, to "lick" the peanut butter off without springing the trap.
I then fastened a piece of popcorn (popped) to the trigger with a piece of wire. I then coated the popcorn with peanut butter.
The mouse ate the peanut butter and then took a bite out of the popcorn and the trap took a bite out of him.....
So, I suggest you glue the bait to the trigger mechanism, or fasten it in some way that the rodent will have to tussel with it.......
Good luck,
Andy in Eureka, Texas

I have the same trap for ground squirrels and what I do is take whole hard corn (from the field behind me) peel a couple of kernels off the cob and use Elmer's glue to glue two pieces down and a few freebies that they can have but then they come to the glued one's then they trip the trap and I relocate them.
Good luck, Rich

Stealing without stepping on the trigger would be my guess.
Try tying some peanuts inside an old pantyhose section and suspend it from the top of the cage. I just used about a 14" from the toe up. This suspension cause them to play with the sack and they dance on the trigger.
Really! It worked.
Colbyt

Don't be such a pussy, Frank. Squirrels don't experience "anxiety."
Take your .22 , load it up with subsonic ammo (BB caps or CB caps) so your neighbors can't hear the shot and plug the suckers.
frank1492 wrote:

Make sure trigger is sensitive enough, sometimes traps get a little creaky and may hang up. Peanut butter alone is fine and I'd smear trigger top and bottom so squirrels will have to work at. As others point out, mice can be tough even in mouse traps as they lick gently. If you are using a lot of peanut butter, I doubt that a mouse could consume that much in a day.
Also better seal that hole in the eves. Cost my son several hundred dollars in removing a squirrel that got trapped and died in walls.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:40:25 -0500, Frank

Take a couple of ragd soaked in ammonia and throw them into the hole. Repeat every 2 days for a week, then plug the hole.
Squirrels, mice, raccoons - they can't STAND ammonia and will move out, pronto.
Or man's aftershave. Cheaper the better.
On Nov 13, 6:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had a Victor mouse trap within sight of the computer. One night, I watched a mouse eat all the food off the bait holder, and not spring the trap. Very, very tiny mouse. I tried to take a picture, but the mouse spooked and ran off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have fine tuned rat traps to the point that a roach could probably set one off. I found a mouse in one of the big traps once and the bar had smashed the mouse across its butt. I swear to you that the mouse actually had this incredulous expression frozen on its lifeless little face. I could imagine the little creature screaming "FUUUUUCK!!!" before it expired.
TDD
frank1492 wrote:

I've been hearing a squirrel on the heating ducts under my house. If I could get it to take peanut butter from my have-a-heart trap, that would be progress. I think they aren't hungry because gorge themselves on my pecans before going under the house to tear up insulation.
If I trapped a squirrel I'd have to find a bucket deep enough to humanely submerge the trap. So today I resorted to blocking the vent where I thought it was getting in. After all, squirrels dine out during the day. No noise tonight.
In a neighborhood where shooting is unlawful, how do I get those tree rats out of my pecan trees?

I was taking 2 or 3 squirrels a day to a heavily wooded area 5 miles away. After about a week or so, there were very few squirrels left. Since then, there is a red-tailed hawk family that is taking care of the excess squirrel population (some hawks use the same nest year after year).
Phisherman wrote:

As I walked up the street a couple of weeks ago, I saw down falling around me like light snow. I looked up and saw what I took for a red-tailed hawk perched above me. Why eat birds when there are squirrels available? I need to find out what color contrasts best with gray to a hawk's eye. That's the color I'll paint my lawn and trees.
A couple of days ago I found a squirrel lying in state on the lawn. Most of the fur from the head and neck was there, but the skull was gone. I want to find out what did it so I can buy a dozen more.
Next door there used to be a wonderful cat who was good at finding baby squirrels. And I love the sight of a rat snake up in my trees or crawling around my foundation. No music compares to the pop of an 18-wheeler dispatching a squirrel. And I love power lines!
Why can't Disney produce a feature-length cartoon to tell the public what squirrels are really like?

You will like this picture
http://esteroriverheights.com/wildlife/hawk.jpg
truncate up to the /wildlife directory and there are other pictures of this hawk eating the squirrel
E Z Peaces wrote:

Pigeons and the like don't bite.
And, of course, they taste like chicken.

Only the young ones. When they get older they are more of a crock pot thing.

They can be tumbled in a prison washer/dryer set on high heat.
They sound like tennis shoes in a dryer. (tumbling)
I'm remembering a story of a town, west side of a river. They had a massive infestation of racoons. They couln't just kill them off. So, they took the trapped coons from the city to the east side of the river, and let them out. Figured the racoons would not be able to swim back. A couple months later, the news came out. The city on the east side of the river was having a major overrun of racoons. They had just hired a firm to trap the racoons, and release them on the west side of the river.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why do they think raccoons can't swim? We see them swimming across the river here all the time, sometimes a whole family with a half dozen babies.