Mouse bait

How much - or strictly how many - mouse bait do I put down? We've a long thin cottage so the floored roof space is some 60 ft long and at the eaves 17 ft wide. I've a collection of odd containers scattered along the edges of centre walkway (there is walk-in access from an extension so the roof space is one LARGE cupboard) which I seem to refill pretty frequently at this time of year - in fact I can here a mouse up there now, b****r it, and the lids etc., were topped up last night.

Just what spacing is recommended for the bait containers ? I suppose I have about 8 over the 60 feet.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

dunno the spacing, but maybe go up there with an ultraviolet licght and shine it on the floor,

meece pee almost all the time to leave a scent trail for them to follow back to the nest, (rodents can see into the ultra violet light range too, so they may be able to see the pee trails too)

but you could put bait over the pee trails to ensure the meece find it,

you could even follow the trails back to where they are the most concientrated and find the nest... or at least the entrance to the nest, and bung a load of bait around there.

Reply to
Gazz

We had rats come over to us when the neighbours started to do building work. Attempts to get rid of them using anything we could buy didn't work, we got a professional in, and that was the answer. I can imaginge that it might be the same with a bad mouse colony.

Reply to
Davey

Unless you like the smell of decaying rodents - none at all. In an attic trapping is usually more effective and avoids the risk of an attic full of decaying carcasses with the accompanying maggots and flies.

Reply to
Peter Parry

There's very little to decay, on a mouse. Mostly they just mummify.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

There's very little to decay, on a mouse. Mostly they just mummify.

Cheers Richard

I have had great success with traditional mouse traps with peanut butter To start with I was resetting every couple of hours during the day

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Chocolate works well as bait too ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

That's what we use.

Reply to
S Viemeister

OTOH, we use peanut butter, which works a treat. I just wish I could find where the little f*ck*rs are getting in. And yes I know all about the "if you can fit your little finger in, a mouse can get through." We've caught 65 so far this "season". They start coming in Sep/Oct and continue until March-ish. Our previous record was 55 in a whole season. :o(

Reply to
Huge

so does peanut butter

Reply to
charles

If we kept peanut butter in the house, we'd probably use it - but there's generally some chocolate around...

Reply to
S Viemeister

The mice around here seem adept at getting chocolate out without springing the traps. Peanut butter probably takes a bit more effort to remove.

Ours were pretty traditional and only came to get trapped in the evening. Apart from 3 caught in traps a large amount of poisoned bait got eaten over several nights. No noticeable smell yet.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

In message , TMC wrote

I have found peanut butter or mashed potato an effective bait for traps.

Reply to
Alan

Is that live trapping? If so where do you release 'em? We Live trap and used to release at the bottom of the paddock, couple of hundred yards from the house. We'd also get 40 or 50/season. Then one day a mouse had a damaged ear, released, caught it again next day, released, caught it again... We now take them up onto the fells at least couple of miles from any habitation to take their chances with the owls, stoats etc. Now we only get half a dozen or so per season.

If killing 50 to 60/season I think you need to find where they are coming from.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

7? I'd be delighted top have caught 7. 65 here so far.
Reply to
Huge

Hell, no. Breakneck traps. Feed the corpses to the magpies.

No shit, Sherlock! :o)

Reply to
Huge

peanut butter is the best, no rodent can resist it, and it's sticky enough that they cant grab it and dart out of the way of the falling arm of the trap like they can with solid baits,

mind, i've seen cctv footage showing rats nudging breakneck traps to set them off, then eating the bait at their leisure, dont think mice have learnt that trick yet,

Reply to
Gazz

So why haven't you? That number of mice will need a decent food supply, look for that...

Blocking holes is almost pointless with mice as they can get through such tiny spaces.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There used to be an interlude film on BBC (put out whilst they changed the scenery in the only studio they had) which showed an old man in a desolate ramshackle old house sat festering in a rocking chair with a

12 bore "catching" rodents.

That has a certain appeal for me. ;-)

Better than "Tarnation Street" at any rate.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

We don't use peanut butter, either. In our case, we used a bar of chocolate that the mice had already got to and would otherwise have had to throw away, so it was poetic justice when it worked so well ...

Reply to
Terry Casey