I'm very new at gardening. I started with a small patch in the front of my
house a couple of years ago. Last year I worked on starting my back garden.
Since then, I've realized I should have my bleeding heart where my coreopsis
is and vice versa. Neither does it's best where it is. My bleeding heart is
done blooming (I'm zone 5) and my coreopsis hasn't started yet (not enough
sun where it is). Can I swap these out now, or do I have to wait til
fall/early spring? I'd hate to miss the season for the coreopsis, but don't
want to hurt my bleeding heart.
LN in NH (zone 5)
...[they had] leisure to make beautiful things just for the fun of it... -
Do you have a large enough pot to pot up the coreopsis? If so, I would suggest
you transplant the bleeding heart and pot up the coreopsis. Then, slowly adapt
the potted coreopsis to being in the sun (like hardening off tender bedding
plants in the spring).
I've moved volunteer coreopsis plants in the late spring and still had them
bloom, but only between areas with similar sun exposures. They also needed
to be watered or misted every afternoon for many days because some root
loss is unavoidable. Since you are also changing the sun exposure, your
plant would have a double handicap (thus I suggest potting it up).
Pat in Plymouth MI
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear it will survive. I will trim it down first so it
will be easier to dig up.
And, as to the coreopsis, I didn't think that would be the tricky one, but
will take the precautions that Pat mentioned.
Thanks to you both. Now I just have to wait for the weather to clear up.
LN in NH
"LeeAnne" < firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
Right now my bleeding heart is in a whiskey barrell where it's been for 3
seasons now. During the spring it is in full sun starting about 11am and
all the way into the evening -- by late spring, this becomes dappled shade.
This year has been a monumental year for the plant -- it's grown absolutely
huge. We'll be moving it to a shaded walkway alongside the house.
The way I intend to do this is to give it a little bit longer to start
withering at which point I'll pretty much transplant the entire barrell's
worth of soil & plant -- I'm just going to dig a hole in the new bed that is
the size of the barrell and fill it in. By rights this will be just about
late August, after the worst of the summer heat is over.
If I am not mistaken, both species are comparatively short lived and grow
easily from seed and cutting. Why not plant a new one of each beside the
existing ones and see what happens?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.