Cutting Countertop.

I've pulled and replaced countertop (same piece) several times. This time I think I need to replace some. Just going to use some 9/10 ft store stock stuff.

Question is in regard to cutting to length. All cuts are 90 degrees. Borg does not cut lengths.

I have the reg electric power tool assortment including lame old clunker circular (), another old clunker jig, 10" table Craftsman junker & new kick-ass Hitachi 12" compound miter saws as well as a router. Probably need to get some specific bit(s) and/or blades.

Of course I spoke on the phone with an Orange Borg guy in kitchens. Sounded pretty confident as to recommendations but then again rats are pretty confidient on running a maze. Have no idea if Borg guy has actually run the maze.

I'm sure I'll get several methods as a reply and may take a combo of them for what I decide to do but lets hear it please.

Reply to
Red Green

The best approach is to turn the counter top upside down on saw horses. Protect the contact points with a rag or similar. Draw your cut line on the bottom of the top and the back of the backsplash. Corners are selfdom square, so check and mark accordingly. If you are very good with a circular saw, have at. If not, bolt/screw/double stick tape a straightedge tot eh top to run the saw against (be very careful about going through the finish top). Make your cut, install.

Reply to
DanG

90 degree cuts are best made with a circular saw equipped with a fine kerf, high tooth count carbide blade.

Always cut from the backside. I usually draw the line and cut the back splash first. Then cut from the splash to the post formed lip raising saw slightly when getting to the lip. Very little chipping occurs with this method and caulk hides what does.

Supporting both sides is important while making the cut.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Is the material you're cutting flat? (No integral backsplash.)

If so rough cut with a circular saw. Then trim to the exact dimension by placing and clamping a guide on the counter top and then passing your router with a 1/4" or 1/2" router bit over the desired edge.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

Boden wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com:

Sorry for not mentioning it does have a backsplash.

Reply to
Red Green

"Colbyt" wrote in news:hImdnf26V-GvU4HUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

Cutting from the backside makes sense. Just like cutting shelving. Blade rotation at cut is up. Finished edge at cut is supported my material. Severely reduces chipping "out" I guess you might call it. Then there's the additional taping sometimes recommended.

Reply to
Red Green

2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

A layer of heavy masking tape centered on the cut line on the finished side is what my neighbor carpenter always recommends to reduce chipping. Double check that you really want 90 degrees on the edge that goes in the corner. us a decent sized square, and double-check by checking the old countertop, assuming that it fit perfectly.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

I was unclear regarding the 90 degrees. Was really trying to say not 45 degrees and no curves.

Reply to
Red Green

Reply to
Pat Barber

This link has an index for other projects, nice link.

Oren

Pat Barber wrote in news:nvhTk.27766$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Looks like a good tip to use a jig. Thickness of plywood would prevent having to raise the saw at the lip of the countertop resulting in a smooth continuous cut.

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9B55C9F7C22F9RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

I could be wrong about this being good advice or overkill but with all the dings the Borg gets, here's a little balance on the other side.

I was just gandering at Lowe's last night at what they had available in stock countertop. Verne comes by and asks if I need any help. Just some general yak. Then he says don't buy it now. I'm like huh? He says come back another day and get it. I'm thinking WTF?

So I says I'm just sizing right now but why do you say that? He says because it's raining out now and has been on and off all day. The air is saturated. Moisture is even condensing on things that are covered. Why chance it if you don't have to.

I'm no kitchen/countertop wiz but it seemed to be good advice...and from a Lowe's person! Little more chat afterwards. Turns out Verne worked in a cabinet shop prior to retiring. From his comment about delaying any purchase, I'd guess his job was not gofer or cleanup.

Reply to
Red Green

I'd cut a bit oversize using a crosscut hand saw and do the final sizing with a belt sander. That's how I cut down a Borg unit for a bath vanity. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

NickySantoro wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah yes, belt sander aka generic shaper.

Yea, I'll make sure rotation is left, right or down. My guess is if it's up there's a risk of chipping and/or separating the laminate.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Red Green

Correct. You want the rotation of the belt sander pulling the laminate against the substrate.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Pat Barber wrote in news:nvhTk.27766$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Pat:

Thanks VERY much for that link. Just the couple of article pics gave a lot of info.

I made the jig and cut the countertop per the info from this thread and the article. I mean absolutely flawless. The laminate did not chip at all. If the cut edge of the laminate wasn't sharp as a knife blade I wouldn't have even had to abrade it.

Maybe I got lucky and the countertop deserves some credit. Borg countertop at that. One end of one piece was to be against a wall directly with no side splash. Of course wall is not straight. Especially where drywall came to a corner bead. Scribed this with a compass and used a jig saw cutting from the top yet. That edge would get caulk anyway. Still, no chipping.

Used a new Irwin steel plywood blade with like 100+ teeth in a 25 year old B&D 7 1/4 circ saw. Those bearing have been rattling for like 2 years now.

Once again, thanks.

Reply to
Red Green

Use a printer next time....

Reply to
Dusenberg

If you have it to repost why don't you just archive that?

Reply to
dadiOH

And if you want an electronic version copy and paste works quite well. Give it a name or add keywords that make sense and let the computer index the document and it will be really easy to find.

Reply to
George

Or print to PDF.

Reply to