Cutting Countertop.

Where are you archiving this? Why do you need to repost this to archive it rather than just archive the original? For me, I'd rather print to PDF and keep it on my hard drive but I'll assume you don't want that.

Reply to
Doug

G'ahead and croak then. I sure as hell don't understand it. I don't even know how to ask an intelligent question about it, since to me, it seems completely out in left field. I'm not lacking some little piece of the puzzle, I can't even figure out what the puzzle is.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I think most object because you are causing a server to hold more repeat information that isn't the best idea.

Don't want you to croak but hope you find a better way for everyone's benefit .

Reply to
Doug

I don't "object," and I don't think most others do, either. I'm just incredibly puzzled.

What I can't wrap my tiny brain around is this: He *must* have the article stored on his computer, somewhere, in order to repost it. (I know this for sure, because he stated that it was long gone from his news server.) Therefore, it *is* already archived. Maybe it doesn't have the name he wants, or it isn't in the format he wants, or it isn't in the folder he wants, but why would that necessitate re-posting?

Reply to
Smitty Two

I see what you mean and I agree. I guess he thinks by archiving it into a news folder, he can organize it better for later reading??? For me, I'd rather have it as a text or pdf file in a properly named folder. Oh well....

Reply to
Doug

It doesn't.

As you (and I and others) said, he must have it if he can repost it. If he had it from a newgroup it most likely has the extension ".nws". If so, all he need do is drag it into the folder in his news reader where he wants it. If it doesn't have ".nws" as the extension - or if that is not what his news reader uses - all he has to do is rename it with the appropriate extension and *then* drag it. After all, it is just a text file.

Reply to
dadiOH

Agent saves everything you read until you purge it. I have my purge option set not to keep things very long but you could keep them forever.

If you pull up that old post, you can reply to it, even if the thread on the server is long gone.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm with you so far. Please continue on with your explanation of the logic behind "reposting" to "archive."

Reply to
Smitty Two

Maybe the post originally had the "no archive bit" on.

Reply to
gfretwell