What kind of circuitry does this device need?

Hi,

I'm installing the panasonic FV-11VHL1.

I have concluded that this device will need its own circuit, but would a 15amp suffice? And if yes, is it OK to go with 14 gauge?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
Aaron Fude

The link did not work, but if its a bath fan they dont use much maybe

150 watt for the blower
Reply to
ransley

Usually for a fan/heater/light a separate 20 amp circuit is used (12 gauge wire). I wouldn't use a 15 amp circuit.

Reply to
John Grabowski

It includes a 1400W heater and runs at 12A max. The US code wants a separate 15A #14 circuit (min).

Reply to
bud--

Thanks!. Then what I am is this: is it OK to bringe a 12 gauge wire from the panel to the switchbox, but then have 14 gauge wires go from the switch box to the unit. Otherwise, I would need *five* 12-gauge wires in the switchbox, which just won't fit!

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

And if it's over a tub or shower, it needs a GFI.

Reply to
Bob F

It's in the a powder room with a toilet and a sink. Still GFI?

And what about that 12 -> 14 gauge issue?

Thanks!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

No

I'm no expert, but my understanding it would be OK as long as the breaker remains a 15 amp unit. BUT - that unit draws a lot of current. You are getting close to the limit of a 15 amp circuit just with it. With 12 ga. wire, you will probably get more heat out of it, depending on the wire length. After replacing the 14 ga. wire to my bedroom with 12 ga. the heat from the 1500 watt heater in the room increased a lot. (50-60 feet of wire)

Reply to
Bob F

I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear. I will use a 20amp circuit with a

12 gauge wire all the way from the panel to the switch box. What I would like to do is connect the switches to the unit with 14 guage. Or how about 12 gauge for the heater and 14 guage for each of the fan/ light/night light?

Thanks!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

On 5/23/2008 9:19 AM Aaron Fude spake thus:

Since the circuit is rated at 15 amps, which #14 is capable of safely carrying, then yes. But why do it that way? Have you already run #12 to the box?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 5/23/2008 12:25 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

In that case, scratch what I said up above. No can do.

Read what you wrote: you're proposing using #14 wire on a 20-amp circuit.

(I'm assuming that by "20-amp circuit" you mean a circuit connected to a

20-amp breaker.)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The link didn't work for the other poster because you put it in parentheses. Don't do that. It makes our life harder, and anyone else you write to. Don't mess with links. And don't split your link onto two lines, unless your news program can't do it any other way.

I removed the parens above.

Reply to
mm

On 5/24/2008 8:54 PM mm spake thus:

He posted this through Google Groups, which is the worst possible method for handling long URLs like this.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl