What is too shallow for a 4ft Chain Link Fence?

I'm in the process of digging holes for a chain link fence, but I've encountered a few issues. There is a shed in my back yard where I had planned to dig a hole at the corner and then have it run about 7ft away to the corner of my neighbor's wooden fence. I had the utility company come and mark the lines, but they marked almost everywhere that I would be able to connect to the wooden fence. There is one spot, however, that I am trying to dig next to the fence. The problem is that it is directly next to a huge tree and there are roots I can not get past only 12 inches down. As there is no gate, it's a four foot fence, and it's only the two posts which compose this stretch of the fence, will it be an issue if I just lay construct it (with concrete) only a foot deep?
I've also attached pictures which show the location of the hole in question. As can be seen, I believe it'll be less exposed to the elements due to the neighbors wooden fence.
click to open the full size version of the image
On Friday, July 18, 2014 8:44:01 PM UTC-5, Nate wrote:

[...]
http://www.homeow nershub.com/img/2s click to open the full size version of the image --
The second post is 7ft away??? If so, just run a pipe along the top of the fence between the two posts, that will stabilize the shallow-rooted post a nd keep the fence taut. I have seen that done many times.
On Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:22:55 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

[...]

It's not just how deep, how wide, how much mass that's a factor. If he can't go deeper, making it wider will help. Given the choices, a foot deep will probably do.
Nate,
Sounds too shallow. How are you digging these holes? I'm thinking that a 2 man power auger will not be detered by tree roots. Go to the rental place, get a friend, and auger all of the holes.
Dave M.
fence installers around here use a tool to drive most posts in place. Other than corner or gate posts. Saves tons of time.
A heavy pipe with 2 handles that slide over the post, the slide fits over the post, and is raised and lowered, pushing the post into place.
This made me realize my fence which this was used on is over 15 years old. Its never been a problem. although the vehicle gate needs adjusted and the pin assembly thing needs replaced. It got broken last winter.
On Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:50:08 AM UTC-4, David Martel wrote:

What happens if the auger hits a root too big, and jams?
Won't it spin you and your friend in circles until you fly off?
bob haller wrote:

About the 100th time you raise the heavy pipe you realize pushing the post in place is a hell of a lot of work.
http://www.postdriver.com/shaver/shaver-post-driver-pd8-pd8h.html
What happens if the auger hits a root too big, and jams?
Won't it spin you and your friend in circles until you fly off?
That's why you have a third person present to pull the power plug before they fly off into space. Maybe a new way to launch noon rockets????
On Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:24:13 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

It's not a hypothetical, it's a recent actual accident. There wasn't time to blink let alone kill power.