What is a "Waterless Urinal"?

Page 1 of 2
I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal. Above it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water). So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?
On 6/29/16 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Read about them here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal#Waterless_urinals
On 6/29/16 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

They are all over the place in the Keys. Basically, you piss, it goes down the drain and that is that. This is a fairly good discussion. http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-tech/sustainable/waterless-toilet4.htm
On 06/29/2016 10:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

The local Raley's supermarket has them. I think they are disgusting.
On 6/29/2016 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Simple really. The drain pipe goes through the wall just as regular ones, but for the waterless it goes outside to the lawn. Keeps the weeds down. More sophisticated models in cities run the drain pipe to a fire hydrant where local dogs get blamed for the wet spots.
Your own back yard can be designated a waterless urinal too. You just get a permit for $5. I can handles that for you.
On 6/29/2016 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I hope you're joking because it's not accurate.
On 6/29/2016 4:41 PM, Meanie wrote:

That's how I set them up. One dog did complain his favorite hydrant was compromised. Lost some of his markers.
On 6/29/2016 5:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

DOH!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo writes:

If you actually wanted to know, you could have typed it into Google and the first hit would have told you.
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/plumbingrestrooms/article/How-Do-Waterless-Urinals-Work-Facility-Management-Plumbing-Restrooms-Feature--10381
On 6/29/2016 3:39 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

99% of all questions can be answered by Google. That 1% is usually requesting from those with first hand experience.
On 29/06/2016 17:38, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I've seen several in England, but I haven't a clue how they work.
Bod wrote:

Since they reak so bad because they do not rinse the piss residue away, how well do they accommodate a urinal cake?
--
Yes you can have your cake and eat it too!

On 06/29/2016 03:16 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I know I used did not smell.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Lucky guy, maybe that one was just cleaned. Have you ever used the urinal in a porta-potty? That my friend is a waterless urinal, and they do smell bad.
On 6/29/2016 4:26 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

Waterless urinals don't smell near as bad as porta-pottys but they do get fairly smelly until the filter is changed.
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 4:26:10 PM UTC-4, urinal cake advocate wrote:

My friend once took her grandmother to a event that had porta-potties. Grandma had never used one before. After using the facilities she came out and announced "That wasn't so bad. They even have a place to put your purse."
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:29:37 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

The one I used did not smell either. It did have a urinal cake in it too.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:29:37 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I've used two, one at a park miles from nowhere and one in the middle of Towson, Md, a bustling suburb of Baltimore. at a Microcenter store.
Neither smelled at all, and the smell of porta-potties has nothing to with it. That's what makes waterless urinals a big advance over porta-potties.
Although porta-potties too smell far far better than they did 50 years ago. It's quite amazing.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 04:51:12 -0400, Micky

I was at an event recently and all th porta potties had signs on them that said something like "We save (number) million gallons of water yearly". I got to thinking about that..... It sounds like one of those claims intended to "appeal" to the public, who are concerned about the environment. (which is a popular thing these days).
Then I thought about the method they use.
First off, those chemicals contain water.
Second, what is that blue stuff? Meaning, how harmful is that chemical, and what effect does it have on the environment? Where does that blue stuff go after the porta-potties are emptied? Does it break down, or does it contaminate clean water or soil?
I dont know enough about those chemicals, but I feel they are a lot more dangerous to the environment than simply using water to wash down the poop and urine.
And, getting back to the "waterless urinals".... Since they use OIL, it seems to me that mixing oil with water is definately not an environmentally safe practice....
In all honesty, the safest method to dispose of human waste, is the old fashioned "outhouse". In other words, just dig a hole and let the waste go back to the earth.....
Of course most people can not have outhouses, especially in the cities, so there seems to be little alternatives, than to use water.
One thing that most people dont realize is that places like California, water is a shortage, and they really do need to conserve it. But there are many places in the country that have plenty water, and having that backyard septic system is no problem at all.
On 6/29/2016 3:16 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

They don't.