What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 9 of 10
Don Y wrote:

Allergy is related to immune function, adrenal gland. Just simply to say, not a good thing. When daughter was taking micro biology with immunology specialty B4 medical school I shared his text books and learned thing or two how immune system works. Probably most allergy medicine is steroid or anti-histamine family. First you have to understand what they do to your body. I even came across a person whose adrenal gland was completely worn out. Some cases genetics play too. First thing to avoid is allergy sensitive people should avoid eating nuts, SPECIALLY peanuts. It'll lower L-lysine in the body and will make things worse. My idea is draw from both sides, herbal medicine has more than 5000 years history. What is your allergen? Did you have done comprehensive allergy test? Where you live could be not a good place for your allergy.
My god father had serious bronchitis and always in bad shape due to difficulty breathing. Doc suggested he move to Arizona, dry and warm place. His symptom got much worse living there couple years, air borne desert pollen was the cause. He had to move back. Here in Calgary there are more than 100 health food stores. Some are just franchise business like 7-11 store. Only handful of them are worthy place to visit run by independent owner with good credentials(they know what they are doing). This industry is quite strongly regulated in Canada vs. in U.S. any thing goes to the level of danger to human health. Products being sold here ust have NPN(natural product no.) issued by federal govt. after testing each and every product applied for NPN. Application fee is not a paltry sum, fly by night crooks can't go thru this process. Read about you Drug administration's new drug approving committee members. They all own big shares of drug companies.
On 12/5/2015 7:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My scratch test was done on my back. Practically the entire surface was inflamed (welts) afterwards. IIRC, there were 6 out of 48 (or 60??) allergens to which I did NOT have significant reactions. And, these were kind of amusing (horse & cat -- but not dog; most molds -- but not penicillium; NOT dust/mites; all grasses; NOT ragweed; etc.).
And, of course, many of the local offenders weren't even included in the panel (though I know I have strong reactions to them -- most folks do!)
I'd had bad allergies as a child (entirely different part of the country) so this wasn't a big surprise...

Exactly. Plus, a fair bit of dirt in the air (think: Haboobs). There is ALWAYS something in bloom, here. My MD has a pollen chart on the wall in his office -- which plants produce at which times of year. It's just one series of peaks after another: this peaks now, that peaks next month, something else peaks the month after, etc.
Certain seasons the ground, cars, etc. will be covered in yellow pollen.

rbowman wrote:

The special processing of it was as a result of simple research. Subject was given orally tumeric powder in a capsule. And every 2 hours draw the blood, tested the sign of tumeric active ingredient. Hardly any sign of absorption by digestive tract. Then they broke down the powder 40X smaller, repeat the test. Then they could see tumeric in the blood. The process is devised by Japanese doctors.
On 12/3/2015 4:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I thought Glucosamine was only effective *in* the joint. I.e., as a lubricant, of sorts. So, sloppy muscle tone doesn't benefit from meds...

For what is it "indicated"? Pain, inflammation, arthritis, etc.?

Weight is bad for *so* much more! :< I cringe when I see so many folks *so* overweight. And, apparently doing little/nothing to address the issue! When was the last time you saw your feet??
I accompany one neighbor to Sam's Club, periodically. A few items that I might need; also a chance to spend time together socially. First thing she invariably does is head off to buy an ice cream to eat while shopping. Definitely doesn't "need" that!
People don't realize how little it takes of an imbalance of intake vs. expenditure to pack on weight. I think a LIFESAVER per day (excess) amounts to the 10 pounds folks pack on (average) per decade.
Wow! You mean to tell me you can't live without that LIFESAVER???
Recently injured her back. I'm sure partly because her musculature is weak, nothing in her back or belly to help *support* her frame. Instead, her frame is supporting her belly. :<
So, we know that's going to be a long recovery -- *if* she ever manages to recover fully (presently just trying to deal with the pain!)

Trick is *keeping* them that way!
Don Y wrote:

Simply you are what you eat. All your medicine is in your food. Sick body is acidic, inflamed. Most pain is caused by inflammation. Most pain killer drug residue accumulates in one's liver and kidney. Long term use is detrimental which will cause other issues down the road. Name one drug with zero side effect. Now they;re giving kids with ADD with new drug which shrinks their Penis. I saw a 10 yo old on that drug whose penis looks like just that of a new born. His grand mother and mother came to store asking for help saying they are trying to give the drug to his sibling 7 yo. Both women were crying talking to us. We sorted out their diet eliminating dairy and sugar, junk food like McDonald meal. Some supplements. If they stick to the regimen for a month or so, they will see the result themselves....They'll know what to do to get off the drug. It's whole family affair.
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 12:16:32 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

This can be normal in a 10 yr old (pre-pubescent)...there would be more concern after 14 yrs. Some are "late bloomers" and may even be better for longevity. (I noticed you capitalized "penis"!)
bob_villain wrote:

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 9:55:28 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

longevity. (I noticed you capitalized "penis"!)

Mentioning possibilities is not disbelief...in high school, in the '60's gu ys had swim class in the nude. A guy I knew had an infantile penis...he was short, with little body hair...after HS he sprouted and was normal. Nice g uy and we all thought, at least he didn't take ROTC as a way out!
On 12/3/2015 11:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

As a consolation, he'll get to drive a CORVETTE when he's older!! ;-)
On 12/04/2015 10:24 PM, Don Y wrote:

??? You're saying the Corvette is compensation? I must be okay. I drive a Yaris and once when I was stopped for some road construction I started talking to the flagger. After a while she said "You know, this car is really small!"
On 12/5/2015 12:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

The joke, growing up, was to see some guy in a hot car and wonder if he was "compensating" (for some other SHORT coming)... ;-)
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 23:14:17 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

blood pressure up.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 20:49:31 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

ibuprophen a day and 1 Claratin complete a day - was up to 158/92 early this week. I've stopped both to see what happens - first day off and I'm back down to 150/86-ish. When I get it back to normal I'll try going back on one at a time to see which one is the culprit (or if it's both)
On 12/02/2015 11:05 PM, Muggles wrote:

Which flavor of glucosamine? I had been taking the chlroide which is the common form but the Mayo newsletter recommended sulphate. I switched and it does seem to work better although that's a very subjective judgment. I also threw in some tumeric and devil's claw. They also mentioned boswellia but I don't know if that had an effect on blood pressure or not.
On 12/3/2015 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:

It's actually orange flavored Glucosamine chews I bought off the shelf at wal-mart. I'd heard that it worked better than the pill form, so gave it a try. I've been pleasantly surprised, too.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Glucosamine-Chondroitin-Soft-Chews-50-count/10324586
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Never buy anything Chinese made tho. If it helps don't stop take them LONG term! Specially females never forget to have density test done every 2 years or so. If your doctor does not order it, ask and insist on it.
On 12/3/2015 10:03 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

A downside of many tablets (SWMBO was previously taking glucosamine) is that it can lead to kidney stones. (at least that was one of the recommended supplements to drop when she was hospitalized with one)
On 12/3/2015 11:03 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

My first bone density test put me well above normal for bone strength. My second one was similarly well above normal, but just a little less than the previous test.
Are you a Dr. or nutritionist? You seem to know a lot about this sort of stuff.
--
Maggie

rbowman wrote:

But it does not improve much. Devil's claw is researched by British doctors proving it's worth. Also known to cause stomach sensitivity. Devils may affect BP. When some issues arise we have to look at the whole picture: deal with cause not just symptom.
On 12/2/2015 9:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

safely with a Sawzall, or other brand of recip.
The one time I tried to take a tree out of my yard, I used a recip and a LOT of white cheap blades from HF. They go smooth in a hurry when used on tree roots.
--
.
Christopher A. Young