What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

If both the dealer key and the TruValue clone operate the car independently of each other, I assume I have what I need. I see Ebay selling the blanks cheap - $10 to $20. Since I'm damn cheap I can't bring myself to pay $75 for a third key from TruValue since with cutting, it won't cost me more the $20. A great adventure begins. I hope TruValue doesn't tell me "we don't cut customer provided blanks."

I guess I can take the third key, which worked with the old "immobiliser" and try to see if I can overwrite the code that's already in there using the "Customer Learn Method." I don't see how it could hurt anything . . . Well, I do see how it could hurt something if the other two keys stop working for some reason. I am off to review my car manual but I don't recall anything about programming my own keys.

Thanks again. Once again, AHR broadens my knowledgebase.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

First thing I spotted. "opt-out" always reflects arrogance. But a do nothing opt-out is even more arrogant.

The first VZW person I spoke with happily told me I could "opt-out" and no data would be collected. I read her the exact language of the email and asked why it was different than her claim.

Mandatory tracking and data gathering without a judges order is just plain wrong.

VZW is being paid to provide a bridge between your device and the Internet. It is none of their business what you carry across the bridge. This is directly analogous to a toll bridge operator requiring you to get out of your vehicle and empty your pockets and open all doors so they could inventory what you are bringing across the bridge.

Reply to
George

Nah, just put 'em out by the curb.

Heh! Did you see the news article about a guy who put his battery charger on his Corvette to get it started? As he was putting away the charger, he left his car running. A passing hippie jumped into the car, raised the windows, locked the doors, and tried to drive off. Either uncoordinated, inexperienced, or stoned, he stalled the car. And, of course, it wouldn't start. He sat there, trapped, weeping, until the cops arrived.

Heh! When my daughter was 16, she "borrowed" her mother's car after midnight. And got a flat. She and her multitudes of boyfriends were able to change out the tire with the oversized donut spare.

The next morning, as the mother prepared to leave for work, she was mystified as to the strange tire on the left-rear wheel. This confusion continued for several days as the woman's finely-honed sense of logic ruminated on the bizarre condition. Finally, her conclusions came down to a) daughter, b) space aliens, c) a misguided practical joke, or d) a malevolent foreign god.

The bolt head can be turned with a dime. Failing that, I guess I could knock on doors until I found someone willing to loan me a tool.

So, get your neighborhood cop to order one for you. But you may be mistaken in your belief that the devices "help stop crime" or "electrify punks."

A rule in "Quality Control Thinking" is "What then?" That is, what do you do after you light up a goblin? If you just kind of stand around thinking "what now?" he'll eventually recover and rip off all your dangly-bits. Plan ahead. While he's out, put a plastic bag over his head. Be sure to remove it after... you know.

My view is that Tazers and their kin are for those who just want to torture the malefactor. I, myself, want to kill them.

And put their body out by the curb.

Reply to
HeyBub

we don't have curbs out in the country where i live. can i just put them at the end of my driveway with a 'for free' sign on them and hope a craigslister will come along?

Reply to
chaniarts

Bobby, you're better off getting one of those plastic wallet keys from AAA that just opens the door. Then you can look inside for where you hid your chipped key.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message news:1a3370b6-c31e-477b-8596-

Reply to
Robert Green

I just read some South American doctors were convicted of killing people just for their kidneys. If you get the timing right and have buyers lined up, a typical car thieving punk's got $200,000 in vital organs and various other stuff like skin and bone marrow. Just requires a kiddie pool, a bone saw and some scalpels, dry ice, giant Ziplocs and picnic coolers. That way, instead of him taking your car to the neighborhood "chop shop" you take him to your "body shop." It's poetic justice of the first degree.

Actually reminds me of something I heard a coroner say: "The first thing people do when they find a dead body is to poke it with a stick." I also heard him say if you're really unlucky and you poke a bloated one fresh out of the river, it can pop and spray death goo everywhere. Never seen it personally, though.

Considering what happened to me when hard-boiling eggs in the microwave, I can confirm that if something's ready to explode, it doesn't take much prodding to make it happen. The blast pattern of the exploding egg painted a perfect silhouette of me against the kitchen wall and it was only the slight vibration from opening the oven door that triggered it. There was a loud thud, like a firecracker in a trashcan and then suddenly I was covered in egg. I wonder if egg-splatter evidence has ever been used in a trial?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green