What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

What do you program a key with? I have a lot of slots on my PC, but no car keyholes. (-:

I'd prefer to pay $8 instead of $80, obviously, but it depends on what a programmer costs. What's the deal?

Thanks for your input!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

The vehicle itself does the programming with you inserting the two programmed keys, and then the new, unprogrammed key. Here's a video showing how:

SRN

Unlike docs not all dentists are automatically covered under HIPAA. Mostly has to do with whether they submit claims via computers and even that isn't total. A phone # would be covered *IF* the jawbreaker is covered.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Different in the way we grew up, I guess. We had seatbelts even when they were still optional equipment. Can't remember EVER turning the key until we were all buckled.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I said they were not AUTOMATICALLY covered. They may be depending on how and who they bill and myriad other things. Might be worth your while to find out for sure.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Well, don't lose the "chipped" key. Instead, have one or more non-chipped duplicates made for $2 each. Take the original chipped key and glue it under the dash or somewhere close so the anti-theft mechanism can pick up the RFID signal when you attempt to start the car with a non-chipped key.

Hey, it only costs two bucks to TRY it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not as slowly as I'd like.

Reply to
Larry W

Only if the valet has the dealer's programmer, otherwise he would need two keys.

Reply to
krw

No, but the dealer can make "non chipped" keys without you furnishing the number (assuming no one has changed the cylinders to a different keying)

Reply to
George

All providers must comply with at least the HIPAA privacy rules. Other parts of HIPAA have to do with billing electronically but in many cases insurers only accept electronic billing.

Reply to
George

I heard about that but I am pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Got an email from Verizon Wireless last week. "Dear xxxxxx, WE VALUE YOUR PRIVACY, so we are informing you that we record all URLs you visit, all searches you make and the results of those searches and the location of your device.

We are allowing you to OPT OUT of the use of this information to build reports."

Nice way to show how they value my privacy. What honest company records all activities of their paying customers? What honest company uses opt out?

I called and the "executive assistant" person couldn't understand why anyone would be offended. Then another person called back to let me know that "at&t" does it too...

Reply to
George

I think that applies for sure for "standard" replacement keys.

There are key chip programmers that can clone a key. The local ACE has one right at the CS desk.

Reply to
George

This is a backwards office that still uses typewriters and a paper appointment book. How can I figure out if they're bound by HIPAA without asking the dentist directly? It's clear I'm going to have to address this and I'd like to follow the rule of being forewarned and forearmed when I talk to them.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yeah, SURE they do.

Note that you can't opt out of them collecting it, just *using* it to "build reports."

When our businesses and politicians see how well the Chinese internet model suppresses dissent, we'll move more and more towards it.

Yes. I just called Verizon about getting faster internet and they offered me a "special price" that was the same as the ad in the county free newspaper. Most young'uns seem AOK with having their position and every their every activity tracked by Big Brother. Not me.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Way cool. I have no idea if that works for a 2002 Chrysler or where I'd get a blank from, but it does give me a good idea of what to look for. Thanks!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

The programming procedure has you inserting various current and new keys, turning them on / off, tapping the brake and standing on your head :) You need two current active keys to perform the process, but it doesn't require any special tools.

Reply to
Pete C.

I got my extra keys from the dealer where I got the truck, they cut them and I programmed them.

Yes. The alternate procedure with the dealer's VCM/IDS setup which does not require any active keys even has a 15 minute waiting period before you can program new keys after connecting.

Reply to
Pete C.

"I shouted HALT! One of them turned in my direction with what I believed was a weapon. In fear of my life, I discharged my weapon."

"Yeah, how'd it hit him in the back?"

"Just lucky, I guess."

As to why you'd disable a system, so doing might save you several hundred dollars to have a locksmith come to your disabled car, on a dark, rainy night, in a disreputable part of town, to let you in. In the alternative, call a wrecker and have your car towed to your destination while you ride safe and warm with the wrecker. You can then deal with the problem at your convenience.

Good point. The proposed solutions aren't for everyone. You have to consider whether living in a slum where you are constantly plagued with car thieves and burglars outweighs the cost and aggravation of a lost key.

MY spare key is bolted behind the license plate (shhh! don't tell anyone).

Reply to
HeyBub

It's almost identical for Chrysler & Jeep - very easy - but you have to do it exactly as described. Sometimes, it will take several tries before you get it right - Been There Done That

There are several sellers on Ebay that sell Chrysler/Jeep security keys

Reply to
SRN

You must have two valid "working" keys that will start the vehicle and keep it running, in order to be able to use the "Customer Learn Method" to make more valid keys.

Reply to
SRN