Weed Wacker

Have a Black & Decker, battery powered weed whacker that failed this afternoon. Not used too much and the housing that holds and turns the string assembly fell off. Spoke to a technician and apparently that part is molded to and part of the armature assembly. Had two 18 V batteries that didn't last too long either before a recharge was needed. All in all it was a piece of junk. Doesn't pay to fix and am looking for some recommendations for a mid-priced replacement. Also, is it worth getting a gas powered unit vs battery? MLD

I think most of the reviews indicate the electric ones are little more than toys.

My plug-in electric has done fine for many years.
Bob

what brand plug in, i prefer wired kind but toros are junk quality, new one lasted less than hour here.
dont want b;lack and decker they are the bottom of the low end.
dont mind spending some bucks for a nice one

than
Maybe they made them better when I bought mine at Sears back around 1980.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

FWIW, Black and Decker are no longer welcome in my house.

I would suggest not buying Black&Decker anymore. I have had B&D tools and none of them were usable after 1 year and few uses. It IS really worth (for me) spending some more money, looking for a good sale, and buying a Bosch tool. I had a B&D minigrinder which took 10 months with very few use to be unusable. I have now spent only some more money in a Bosch mini grinder and I'm sure it will be worth. I has 3 years of warranty.
I will NEVER buy a B&D tool...
Regards. Eduardo Richard Blaine ha escrito:

MLD wrote:

I got mine a few years ago. I got a set with the string trimmer, leaf blower and hedge trimmer. Overall I have been extremely happy with it. The batteries are all still like new, although I am expecting them to die sometime soon, and nothing has failed.
I know if I have a problem with them, I will buy the exact same thing. I get a lot of use out of all three tools using it at home and at the boat house down at the river.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I had the same one it was just a POS. took it back. I bought a $50 BD GH600 trimmer edger. The thing is just great for edging the lawn
MLD wrote: Also, is it worth getting a gas powered unit

Same goes with the gas powered ones. DON'T BUY A CHEAP ONE. If you do go gas, buy a Steil. They cost a little more but are well worth it. They are easy to start and last for years.
On 21 Jul 2006 05:12:19 -0700, "JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com"

My recommendation for gas is Echo.
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Andy Asberry wrote:

I've stayed ouf of this discussion, because I own a farm and my primary cutters are Husky and Stihl commercial brushcutters. Been getting hard use for years and no problems.
However, a few years ago, I bought a "one-step up" from the bottom of the line Stihl "weed wacker" to use around my elderly mom's house. I think it is the FS 45. Gas-powered, bent shaft.
The thing has been tempermental, hard to start, etc., etc. It's been in the shop several times. If a clueless homeowner would have gotten this machine, they probably would have trashed it by now....But I still manage to keep it going.
There are some decent weedwacker models, etc. for around $100, but if you are thinking about Stihl, Echo or Husqvarna, I'd say go for the Husky or Echo, or maybe the "THIRD" step up from the bottom on the Stihl....At the time the Stihl was $145.