Cordless Weed Whacker Problem?

I have a two year old, not heavily used, 18volt Sears Cordless Weed Trimmer whose battery won't hold a charge for longer than 5 minutes.

Any thoughts on anything I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Reply to
Don Green

Not based on the huge amount of information you provided! How did you ever get SO many details together for such a tiny subject?

Reply to
Twayne

Pretty busy, huh?

Reply to
Don Green

These batteries have a memory. My guess is your NiCads "remembered" that you didn't use this much and now it won't let you.

Google up some tips on rejuvenating them. There are a couple of schools of thought on this. Some go with the freeze them theory and others like the zap them with a capacitor method. I just avoid it by not buying cordless things unless I will be cycling them regularly.

Reply to
gfretwell

Google "problems with sears 18v batteries" and there`s yr answer, its a sears 18v.

Reply to
ransley

=3D=3D You're supposed to charge those batteries every 30 days no matter if used or not, otherwise they won't last. Even then they sometimes fail for some reason. The manual explains the charging schedule. You most likely will have to purchase a new one for around $69 to $89, them's the breaks. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Buy a Black and Decker Grass Hog.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

I had makita batteries 16 yrs old till they got stolen that still worked, My ridgids are 4 yrs old, and I never do anything special to care for them except charge them right. Sears 18v do have a bad rep, reviews at sears say it. It bet they are chinese seconds.

Reply to
ransley

If you're going to spend $69 - $89 on a battery, find a place that sells them for $89.

Then take another $20 bill out of your pocket and buy one of these for $107:

$20 extra feels better than $40 extra. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03