Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

Page 2 of 5

Robert Green wrote:

I think that is the long way around the block.. WOL is perfect for this.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The problem is WOL still requires you to have at least one computer already powered up, then that computer can receive the WOL command to power up the other computer(s) provided the motherboards have WOL jacks. I wanted a single computer dead until I power it up.
Add pictures here
βœ–
RickH wrote:

But it doesn't have to be much of a computer (such as a router). I can do it by remotely logging into my router and issuing WOL for any MAC on the LAN from its web interface.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"RickH" wrote:

O solved that with my web servers about 10 years ago using a power strip with an IP connection. Using any browser I could power up, down or reset up to 8 different devices, one at time or all at once, depending on the command. The IP address was not listed with the DNS and was not part of my main sequence (to keep nasties away). Once online I a username & password brought up the menu.
The device was more costly than the unit in consideration but it could eliminate your problem of needing to leave one machine up and running all the time. My new Dell servers have built-in IP-controlled power and reside behind a hardware firewall so the unit is no longer needed.
I gave it to a helpful participant in AHA some years ago. I don't recall but it *may* have been Marc H. I'm certain these thing are less expensive now than a dozen years ago when I bought it since they're very simple devices. If Marc has it, perhaps he can tell you the manufacturer, which I've long since forgotten.
Meanwhile, there's an outfit called Dataprobe http://dataprobe.com in New Jersey that makes several similar models. Another place, Bomara, makes a 2-unit IP strip for about $200. http://www.bomara.com/cps/n-ac2.htm .
Hope some of this is useful to you.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass
On 4 Nov 2009 06:12:41 GMT, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote in message

Yes, we seem to be circling around and round ... ;-)
Some of my previous posts from January on the IP POWER 9258T and the WebControl are appended below.
(Google seems to have stripped off the message ID's or I'd jist cite them rather than the entire text. Or just googlegroupgoogle on 9258T
... Marc Marc_F_Hult www.ECOntrol.org
Newsgroups: comp.home.automation
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 09:07:56 -0500 Local: Fri, Jan 2 2009 9:07 am Subject: Re: Programmable Sequencing Switch? Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

I have an Aviosys IP POWER 9258T and it can do what you want for four outputs. Aviosys also has eight output model(s). The 9258's are available Buy-It-Now for $95, shipping to US included, on eBay. Search for IP POWER 9258* or INTERNET POWER CONTROLLER
http://www.aviosys.com/ippower.htm http://www.aviosys.com/images/9258_manual_20081104.pdf
The IP POWER 9258 uses mechanical relays rather than SCRs to control power to the AC receptacles, and so can be modified to provide SPST switching of a signal or DC rather than 120VAC. Also, I prefer not to add devices to my system that depend on AC power, so I was pleased to see that it runs internally entirely on 5vdc from a small, easily-bypassed, internal AC-to-5VDC converter.
It is readily programmed though web-based GUI, by sending simple http command strings, or a VB/.net etc programming
HTH ... Marc
Visit my Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale.htm
Marc_F_Hult www.ECONtrol.org
Newsgroups: comp.home.automation
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 00:23:02 GMT Local: Fri, Jan 2 2009 7:23 pm Subject: Re: Programmable Sequencing Switch? Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author Marc, thanks! I'll check it out.
-- Bob Day
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:02:01 -0500 Local: Fri, Jan 9 2009 7:02 pm Subject: Re: Programmable Sequencing Switch? Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author Bob:
Also:
If you are willing to add your own solid state relays and(or) relay drivers + mechanical relays, the " WebControl timer temperature humidity I/O controller " is a TCP/IP device that might suit your needs.
http://store.compute-aid.com/spec/WebControlUserGuide.pdf
It provides timers and scheduling, NTP time synchronization, email notification, eight TTL outputs, up to eight 1-wire temperature sensors, one Honeywell humidity sensor, three analog in, and 8 TTL inputs.
Sells for $25- $49 (compute-aid.com, eBay, Amazon; sensors not included).
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item &0314413799
A metal case is also available for $15
NB: As yet, I have no hands-on experience with this device, but have ordered one.
HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult www.ECONtrol.org
Add pictures here
βœ–

No, it doesn't. A router that can send the WOL packet can wake a PC listening for it. No added PC necessary. Just that the PC you intend to wake up needs to have WOL built into it.
Alternatively you could use a router that has a serial port and use that to control a relay that will listen to RS232. Bit more of a jump-through-hoops sort of solution though.
-Bill Kearney
Add pictures here
βœ–

If my PC has no power applied to it how can it possibly "listen" to anything. I want it completely powered off, not on standby.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"RickH" wrote:

Then use an IP controlled relay to switch power to the PC. Just make sure your PC boot up when power is applied.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

An ATX pc is never really off..
In fact part of the MB is still under power..
how do you think the pc turn on just by the press of a small momentary switch...
you can even see that the MB is under power by looking at inside the box while the system is supposed to be off. you will see at least one led on..
Add pictures here
βœ–
I think that is his point. Reread his post.
a ιcrit dans le message de groupe

Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, you're right that an ATX PC is never truly off. But a circuit that would go truly off, but could power up with a switch like ATX, wouldn't be hard.

And, as I understand it, an ATX computer that is "off" can wake-on-lan. I've got no idea how much power an ATX machine draws when "off".
But they also have a switch on the back which is "truly off". What the OP is looking for would end up being the equivalent of hitting that switch.
βœ–
Then the OP requires another circuit, or computer that is on standby to "hit that switch" to turn it back on again. The point become moot.
A computer in sleep mode requires very little power with the modern efficient switching power supplies and no mechanical parts turning. I would have to measure one to get actual figures.

Add pictures here
βœ–
A Dell Dimension 2400 reads 0 watts on my Kill A Watt and 2VA with PF=0.6. Under power it uses 33-36W.
Anyone concerned about the standby power has succumbed to the mumbo-jumbo disinformation from nitwits like Bass & Hult. According to the DOE, 9% of residential electricity went for lighting (a couple of years back). Residential use is about 1/3 of total use so that means residential lighting uses about 3% of the total. In the USA, coal accounts for about 50% of that. So the reduction in mercury in the atmosphere is minimal from switching to CFLs while the danger of mercury in your kid's bedroom has increased enormously. The reduction in carbon dioxide from switching to CFLs is little more than a rounding error - it's not likely to keep the Maldives afloat.
Recent figures show TVs now use 8-9% of residential electricity as a result of the proliferation of big, flat-screen TVs. So all those folks who installed CFLs have been on a fool's errand - subsidizing the carbon budget those who have bought new TVs. Of course, Wall Mart made money on both the CFLs and the TVs.
er in sleep mode requires very little power with the modern

Add pictures here
βœ–
Well, since we are totally changing the topic of this thread. LOL
CFLs may not be the perfect answer but perhaps you can subsidize the electrical power generators for us and keep with the incandescents? My energy comnsumption was about 27kWh per day until I started using CFLs.
LEDs are too expensive, too dim, from what I have seen so far and not much more efficient than incandescents. On top of all that they are current sensitive devices and require a ballast that consumes power and makes heat. This shortens the life of an LED andf makes maintainence more costly.
The new phosphour types may be a btter answer, if you don't mind glowing in the dark.

βœ–
"Josepi" wrote:

Be careful, friend. Disagreeing with Mr. Houston, even playfully, can cause him to think bad things about you. He's been known to get very angry and... and... and say mean things. :^)
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Add pictures here
βœ–

You mean like that one?
Add pictures here
βœ–
"B Fuhrmann" wrote:

No, more like the one he posted prior to my tongue-in-cheek "warning".
Add pictures here
βœ–
CFLs will save money, assuming they last as long as promised but they won't reduce carbon as much as many other, easier approaches like efficiency mandates for TVs and other electric appliances, improving generation efficiency and upgrading the power grid.
And they won't save any planets - not even Pluto.

Add pictures here
βœ–