Watts FloodSafe

I have just learned of the floodsafe line from Watts and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with these:
http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/whatsnew_floodsafe.htm
Thanks for your time,
Ben
Ben wrote:

Interesting. I've never seen one before, but it looks like it could be a good solution. I'll have to investigate as well.

Check this one out.........FloodChek. I have it. When you get the product you'll see why it won't have a failure for 20 years or more. www.floodchek.com 1-800-845-9089. I bought about 2 years ago and I think I paid $29.00 for the pair of hoses. John

A good idea, a few companies make them.

Try to google Automatic Water Main Shutoff, im sure you will find quite a few.
still need a catch pan under the washer because not every leak is from the incoming water lines

I need to replace the rubber supply lines to my washing machine and was looking into stainless steel when I found the floodsafe line.
I'm wondering if they ever shutoff due to regular usage and higher water pressure and how stable they are with every day usage.
It does appear to be a good idea, but not sure how they really work.

are becoming common on natural gas lines. I have one on the flex lines to my water heater and gas dryer. Never had a problem with either one shutting off falsely under normal conditions.
Simple enough to test it once in while, I suppose. Just turn off the valve, disconnect the end and hold over sink or a bucket, and turn the valve full on quickly.
I'd certainly opt for these if they weren't much more expensive than plain stainless flex.
Paul

At the very least you shoudl get the woven stainless steel. My hose burst, and it's lucky I heard it before I went to work, and that it burst before I went to work or away for a weekend.
The instruction manuals I'm told say to turn off the faucets when the machine is not in use.
And the hardware store said they sell replacement hoses all the time, after they burst.

BTW. after I got the stainless steel hoses, I had water hammer and had to get a little device for hot and for cold to stop that.
Of course that shows that the washing machine hoses were preventing the water hammer by swelling every time the valves turned off. No wonder they burst.

only carry the floodsafe models if you want stainless steel.
So I decided to try them. So far the only difference I can tell is that there appears to be less of a flow rate going into the washing machine when it fills. I called Watts and found out the lines limit the water to 2.5 GPM and that is what they base the floodsafe device on.
The price was basically the same as other stainless steel hoses I priced in the past so, for now, I like the extra insurance these offer if they work as promised.

Presumably, the device has a spring loaded stopper that closes when the water flow in the line exceeds a certain rate. Then the difference in water pressure across the stopper holds it closed until it is reset.
My experience is that most undersink leaks are of a different type than this device protects against. However, it might be useful if used to connect a washing machine if the water supply is left in the turned on position. But that is not a very good practice in my view.
A solution looking for a problem?
SJF
They have electric valves you plug the washing machine into. ONLY when the machine is running do the valves hot and cold open to allow water flow.
its all automatic the valves open and close without having to remember anything