Wasting taxpayer money - The FCC and over the air HDTV Rollout

Page 2 of 2
to say:

Steve,
You have added nothing worthwhile or interesting to this topic.
Your only comments have been a personal attack.
Why not either offer an intelligent opinion, or just shut the fuck up...
Smarty
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:09:18 -0500, against all advice, something

Blow me, bitch.
--

Real men don\'t text.

to say:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:58:01 -0500, against all advice, something

Blow me, bitch.
--

Real men don\'t text.

Steve,
How about acting like a grown-up instead of a child?
Let's see if you can offer an opinion on the topic of this thread.......
Don't the schools in Hood River teach you kids how to think?

I offered an opinion on the topic, but you didn't like it much. And that is, even if you are qualified technically, which I accept, you can't make a snap judgement that "the entire problem could have been avoided if the FCC had proper engineering people who had chosen / demanded higher transmitter power and transmitting antenna type and site choices. "
As I asked before, what tests did you conduct, data did you collect, cost/benefit analysis, transmitter site selection realities in the real world, etc. did you go through before coming to your conclusion? Did you look at what the FCC looked at? If not, then how can you make this judgement?
It would seem that as an engineer with management experience, you would realize that there is a process you have to go through to review all the pertinent data, issues, cost/benefits, etc instead of making a snap judgement. I think the FCC and the broadcasters did go through that process.

re: Real men don't text.
OMG UKTR C&G G2G B4N
On 1/16/2009 11:23 AM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

Translation?
I looked for a text-to-English translator (like a Javascript app) but couldn't find one. Someone out there has gotta have written one by now.
D "clueless, never texted in my life" N
--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

-- re: Real men don't text. - -- OMG UKTR C&G G2G B4N - - Translation?
Oh My God! You know that's right. Chuckles and Grins. Got to go. Bye for now.
http://www.hendrixsite.com/acronyms.htm
FWIW, now that we have a family texting plan, I'm in contact with my kids more than ever. Often, in the middle of the day, I'll get things like:
- Got an A on the math test. Thanks for your help - Practice cancelled - I'm bored - Hi! - What was that song we heard last night? - I've got a ride home. C U later.
Short quick bursts of conversations, sometimes 5 - 6 times a day. Things that aren't worth a long conversation, but can always be followed up with a phone call if needed.
Ever tried to carry on a cell phone conversation with someone at a Varsity basketball game? A text conversation is a piece of cake - especially when your kid is sitting on the other side of the raucus gym. "How are you getting home?" "With you!" "I'll meet you out front." "K"

Nothing from dMrs?
- u want bj 2nite

dMrs sends pictures

Oddly enough I find that I get the best reception with rabbit ears and bow ties. I've tried several fancier antennas and they've all been worthless junk. I think the only thing that would likely give an improvement, from what I've read, is either a) a homemade bow tie array (I may try this) b) either a "silver sensor" or Winegard SS-3000 type antenna or c) a proper roof or attic mounted antenna.
It seems that there is a LOT of junk on the market at the moment, and if someone buys a new "amplified antenna" and then finds that they only get one channel, they may bitch and moan about how crappy DTV is but they may find that if they just try an old bowtie they get 20+ channels. I know that that's been my experience, I've returned several medium-priced antennas because they didn't work any better than a piece of wire jammed in the F-connector on the back of the box.
nate

Discovered something annoying last night... was watching the playoff game (go stillers) and decided to watch it OTA rather than off cable so I could see it in widescreen (well, letterboxed, but whatever) I am using a Channel Master CM7000 tuner box with aforementioned wabbit ears and bowtie. Every couple minutes the audio would drop out for a second or so then come back in, sometimes with some pixellation sometimes not. I thought it might be a problem with the station's sat feed because I have not noticed this on any other channels that I watch. But the same thing happened with the news this AM as I left it on Channel 9 (WUSA) rather than one of the other channels. Now I never watch Channel 9, so I have not noticed this before, but it doesn't appear to be a problem with my setup as I can leave the "info" menu on the screen and see that the signal strength remains pegged at 100% while it drops out. Also ran a long piece of coax up the stairs just to see if it was antenna position but with the antenna upstairs it still does this. Have not seen this with any other channels... if this is going to be permanent this kinda puts a damper on my TV watching experience, and I may just keep my cable and not install a roof mounted antenna like I'd originally planned. Based on the coverage maps I'm just outside the "red" zone for WUSA so this should not be a problem at all.
[...]

Nate,
"Multipath cancellation" can wreak havoc with digital signals, loosely analogous to "ghosts" which can show up on analog signals. The problem arises from the temporary or permanent bounce of the transmitted signal on some reflector between you and the transmitter. This bounced signal arrives slightly later, via a different path from the direct signal. The result at your antenna is a cancellation or smearing of digital data.
Overhead aircraft can cause the problem. Fluttering tree limbs are also often the culprit. One problem I ultimately found was a large nearby traffic sign blowing in the wind which caused my relative to have drop-outs on windy days. Signal strengths can be very high but this effect will still show up.
The modulation system used for over-the-air digital TV has some built-in immunity, using redundant bits, forward error correction, and other methods, but it is far from being perfect.
Cable companies will normally site their receiving antennas at very high locations to ensure line of sight reception with little or no multipath degradation. Highly directional antennas can also help, but introduce their own new issues related to proper pointing.
A brief description of how multipath is measurable with a Sencore test device is at: http://www.sencore.com/uploads/files/AchieveGoodHDTV.pdf
Smarty

gee I saw this last nite in pittsburgh but wasnt watching the game. signal strength bounces a lot over time, apparently on all channels I was watching RTN one of channel 11s feeds
Its the super bowl bottom of the 4 quarter its a long pass, its going going
(blank screen) the fans are going wild here! it was the pass of a century, the final score (blank screen)
my normal signal strength is excellent on the channel blanking out