Favorite over the air TV shows

Greetings, gentlemen, scholars, and a few miscreants. :-)

What are you favorite over the air shows?

Best regards,

Andy

Who misses BBSes.

Reply to
AK

NCIS is the only one that comes to mind that is currently in production (where "currently" is modified for COVID-19 restrictions).

Unless you count re-runs of Dragnet and Adam-12 on MeTV (which I think is available OTA).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not over the air but Live PD was a good show. It's been cancelled due to the hysteria over George Floyd dying because of apparent police misbehavior. It showed cops with car and body cams as they went about their business. The patience those guys usually show is something to behold. I wondered how much the cameras changed things though.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I think over the air does not include cable. I only follow Blue Bloods and Survivor from the broadcast networks otherwise the rest are all cable.

Reply to
Frank

i was thinking night time series but I also like the Price is Right and Jeopardy.

Reply to
Frank

OTA, I watch Dateline, news, Americas's Got Talent. Most of what I watch is cable. ID, History, Science, Smithsonian, Nat Geo have some great shows.

Used to watch Live PD but they sissied out and dropped it.

About the only thing I watch live is the news. Others are DVE and skip the commercials.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At least they still have Court Cam on Thursday nights.

I just read yesterday that A & E lost 40% of their viewership with Live PD gone. Wish they would bring it back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All I have is OTA and about the only thing I watch is Austin City Limits and some of the better presentations when PBS is in begging mode. There is a local show, 11th and Grant which is good sometimes.

rbowman

I can still handle the occasional Adam-12, but for me Dragnet hasn't held up well at all. Friday was way too stuffy and straight, while Gannon seemed to just go along with everything without having his own opinions. I watched it as a kid, but I can't watch it now.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Just this morning I saw a headline about A&E's viewership being down dramatically after the cancellation of Live PD. I never saw Live PD, but it sounds similar to Cops, which was awful in that it showed police misconduct in the name of law enforcement.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yes, criminals should be treated nicely with kid gloves.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I am OTA and streaming only. OTA is tolerable if you have a recorder and you can skip commercials. There are quite a few PBS shows I like, Frontline, American Experience, Nova sort of thing. Austin CL is OK depending on who is on. The sub channels of the networks also have reruns of lots of old shows that seem better than the crap on the air now. (Grit, Bounce, GetTV etc) These also show up on cable but I am glad I am not paying for them. Again the ability to skip commercials is the only thing that makes it tolerable. Usually those commercial breaks are 4-5 minutes. George and Gracie are still funny, as is Barney Miller. The original Law and Order is a pretty good crime show if you like that sort of thing. I am dabbling into The Untouchables but a little of that goes a long way. It becomes pretty repetitive.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, it hasn't aged well. We don't watch every episode: the ones with "hippies" are particularly painful. But it gives me a pleasant sense of nostalgia, especially the notion that right always prevails.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

It was better than cops. Live PD is a little misnomer as there was a delay of a good half hour but gave a good idea of what does go on in life on a regular basis. How many people don't bother with little things like getting a license to drive.

It also shows how stupid people can be. When stopped for a minor traffic offense they take off and run, sometimes crashing. Or escalate a simple stop with their arrogance.

Real life ain't pretty.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I watch Gunsmoke on Me. I also listen to Gunsmoke radio shows from the 50's on Sunday night and 3 of the TV shows in the last 2 months have had the exact same story as radio versions, even much of the dialog is word-for-word the same.

Here too.

Reply to
micky

Sort of like a much more recent show, one of the cast-pairs of Law & Order, the actor with the Italian name (Vincent deNoffrio or something) and his partner who never had an original idea. It was sort of amazing considering lots of shows were being made for years by then where the female had the lead, even earlier Law & Order.

Despite that I still like Dragnet radio shows on Sunday night, and afaik would watch the tv shows too.

Reply to
micky

I've never seen that show, but there were a lot of TV shows where the police did all sorts of things that are illegal now. I think there were times on COPS when the cops did things that were illegal at the time.

Reply to
micky

BTW, I don't have cable. But since digital and more stations, I don't have time to watch all the tv shows I've got. I pretty much just watch MeTV and AntennaTV. Burns & Allen, That Girl (with Marlo Thomas and her nerd boyfriend. I can't find anything online about her boyfriend being a nerd, but he sure is.)

Yeah, it's been years but that's what I remember, occasional examples of the police doing various things they're not allowed to, in video viewed by the TV editors before it was shown.

Reply to
micky

Definitely. I've found even if I'm watching live, it's better to start recording and watch a prior recording for at least 15 or 30 minutes before going back to the "live" show.

I get all of those 3 but I never watch them. I used to use TVGuide.com, Titantv and the other webpage (the other one is the best) to pick out programs, but with subchannels, there are so many I can't keep track. *(*I found a zipcode between DC and Baltimore where they get both DC and Balt stations, like I do with my amplified antenna. A worthwhile expense if there are stations 40-45 miles away.

They have commercials on cable too. When my brother and I found that out, we couldn't believe it.

Definitely Wojahowicz. It's spelled just like it sounds.

Reply to
micky