OT: fires in gas powered cars

It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported... compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars."

Are Electric Cars More Likely To Catch Fire? CNN Business - May 17, 2018

--.https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/electric-car-fire-risk/index.html#:~:text=It%20says%20the%20300%2C000%20Teslas,miles%20traveled%20in%20gasoline%20cars.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

I've had tires on my gas-powered cars for years and I don't think the cars would roll very well without them.

Reply to
micky

I have used LiIon batteries for many years with no problems.

So the claim that electric cars more likely to catch fire is bogus.

Have a great evening.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I would hate to see what happens to those LiIon batteries in a collision. Boom!

I know a guy who had an electric car about 15 years ago. He rear-ended a truck and ended up welding the front of his Prius(?) to the truck's back bumper.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Couple of years ago the news seemed to have some disaster related to the batteries every few days. Planes catching on fire phones burning down the house. Now nothing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Regular cars had their share of problems to but it was still usually electrical. I think it was the Fords that were having electrical fires because of a bad ignition switch or something. The gasoline just makes that fire more exciting. OTOH so are LiIon batteries. Once one of them fails, it is going to burn until it depletes the charge and water is not going to help the situation. I smacked an old I phone battery with a hammer and it was very exciting. It sparked and arced for about 3-5 minutes and burned a hole in the grass about 3 feet around. That was a bad battery that wouldn't hold a charge. Makes me wonder what a good one will do.

Reply to
gfretwell

That brings up a question for me. Will water put out a LiIon battery fire or does it take special chemicals, or does it just burn to all the chemicals in the battery have reacted ?

I know some elements will burn if water is added or will burn under water.

I could just imiange what enough to power a car could do.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Having dropped that little BB sized piece of lithium in a beaker of water in high school I decided water was a bad idea.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 21:42:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Toyota has held fire fighting schools at the county level for years and I believe Tesla is now doing it also. Basically, don't get too close and let it burn.

The last problem prior to electric cars was ethanol. It causes a lot of fires because of leaks and flammability. Fire engines had to be equipped with foam eductors for use of foam on car fires. The eductors are expensive and nobody gives the foam away, which takes up a lot of space on the equipment. Used to be able to use water on a car fire and fill up at the hydrant for no cost - not anymore.

All electric cars have a disconnect for the batteries. You don't just cut the cables anymore. FF's have to do it or risk getting the airbag tuneup. Also the tow companies better respect it or risk a fire on the top of flatbed.

Reply to
invalid unparseable