HDTV connections

Then you would set HDMI 2 to "Sat", and then configure the remote to work with your TV (in the SAT box's setup program).

Why HDMI 2, is HDMI 1 free?

What sat. receiver do you have (model number)?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3, HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

Reply to
gcotterl

Hi, What do you have other than sat. box? You decide how to hook things up. HDMI carries digital video and audio. One cable does it all.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Connect Setup HDMI1 to Source SAT and repost results here.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

The satellite receiver is the only device connected to the HDTV.

The HDMI cable connects "HDTV Digital Audio/Video Output" (on the back of the satellite receiver) to "HDMI 2" (on the back of the HDTV.

Reply to
gcotterl

Andy comments:

Personally, I would connect the Sat HDMI output to the HDTV HDM! input and select HDM1 on the Source menu.

Then I would select the SAT under the "Devices" menu....

If that doesn't work, I would try something else......

It ain't rocket surgery, but it does take practice... :>)))

If it were easy, they couldn't charge you $2K for the privelege....

Reply to
Andy

Now:

the HDMI cable runs from the "HDTV Digital Audio/Video Output" (on the receiver) to "HDMI 1" (on the HDTV)

and "SAT" is the device selected for "HDMI 1".

Is that what you suggested?

Reply to
gcotterl

Yes, do that. Also make sure you use the remote that came with the TV and press the "Input" or "Source" button to select HDMI 1.

After that, you should be seeing the DVR displayed onscreen. You'll need to use the SAT remote to enter the DVR's configuration to tell it what brand/model TV you have (so the SAT remote can control TV power and volume).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Not that it matters much, but using "HDMI 1" first, (if there is only going to be one input) makes more sense.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It's a DishNetwork VIP-622-DVR.

Andy suggested using HDMI 1 but HDMI 2 is available.

Reply to
gcotterl

You can connect the sat receiver to HDMI1 or HDMI2, makes no difference. But for simplicity, most would connect it to 1. Then setting the device only affects what you call it on the menus, remote, etc. You could set the device to STB for example, but then you would just use a different button or menu choice to access it as STB instead of SAT. So, I agree what makes most sense is to use HDMI 1 and SAT

Reply to
trader4

After I get home tonight, I'll connect the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 on the TV then set HDMI 1 to "SAT" and post the results.

Reply to
gcotterl

But G. Morgan asked you if HDMI is free. Not HDMI 2.

So you didn't answer his question.

You never quote anything the prior poster has written and I think it confuses not just me or us, but you too. That's why you answered the wrong question.

Reply to
mm

G. Morgan's question was:

is HDMI 1 free?

It was NOT:

I s HDMI free" ]

Reply to
gcotterl

Save HDMI 2 for future Blue Ray or Upscaling DVD

Reply to
Congoleum Breckenridge

Be sure to push the TV button on remote to jog to the HDMI setting. Your SAT box will know, but your TV has to be told.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Because again you skipped the entire previous post, someone who hadn't read or didn't remember it would have no idea how irrelevant your reply was. But we both know, don't we?

Yes, I made a typo. G. Morgan, asked: is HDMI 1 free? So, knowing that, why did you answer the wrong question? I think you should quote the prior poster so his questions are in front of you when you reply.

You don't like to be criticized, do you, even when your work leaves obvious room for improvement.

Reply to
mm

The "Devices" under the "Source" menu are most likley just labels.

So instead of seeing HDM1 on the TV when you switch inputs it says SAT. This way you don't have to remember which input is hooked up to HDM1.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

The "Devices" list is just for convenience so that you can "name" what you are using the actual source jacks for.

So if you plug your satellite box HDMI output into the physical HDMI1 source jack, you can then name that jack by calling it "SAT".

Now the display on the screen will say "SAT" in addition to "HDMI1" making the description more familiar to the wife and kids.

Reply to
RickH

After calling Dish Network FIVE times and talking to FOUR DIFFERENT agents -- one blamed the problem on the weather and one was going to schedule a techie to come to my house to check for grounding -- the last agent is shipping me a new receiver. (Hopefully, that will solve the problem).

Reply to
gcotterl