Record over the air shows

I am interested in recording some tv shows.
I have a free HDMI port but do not know if it is an output.
I assume I will need a DVR as well.
I saw this.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tablo-4-Tuner-DVR-for-HDTV-Antennas/37938466
But did not see how much capacity it has to record.
Do they make some that let you use either an internal hard drive or record to a DVD?
Thanks.
On 7/31/2018 7:48 PM, Andy wrote:

This is a very complex subject and is critically dependent on what you are trying to accomplish. The devil is in the details. How are you getting these TV shows to record? Antenna? Cable? DirectTV? Do you want to record more than one at the same time? How are you gonna play 'em back? Can you just play 'till it's done, or do you want fast forward, pause, setup record times, and other control functions? How do you expect to access these functions? computer? phone? Directly on the device? Are you gonna keep 'em forever or just time shift and delete? Do you need to share them? Free HDMI port on what? Can you dedicate a computer to this functionality? Where are you located (country)?...and that's just to start. Like I said, a very complex issue...
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:42:26 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:

No need for undue complexity.
I simply want to record like was used when we had VCRs.
I have no cable, just an antenna.
Free HDMI port is on TV.
I have no need to record to a computer.
Andy
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 02:56:00 -0700 (PDT), Andy

I understand and did so when I posted.

Me too.

Trader says it's an input port. For a varietyi of times when you can import something to be displayed on the TV. For example, my DVDR has an output HDMI port, that I could connect to the port on your tv. Or if you have a Tivo or something else that you want to input.
HDMI is, or was 10 years ago, the latest thing, one cable for sound and picture. I don't know

That was meant to save you money and possibly bring greater versatility. If you have a spare computer, the software is free, iirc, so the only thing you have to buy is something for remote control .IIUC. Or you can skip that and the whole thing is free, and probalby has more options than most VCRs.
You can look on the web and find other "Record OTA, or off the air" devices. There is one online vendor I used to deal with that had 2 or 3 modlels but I can't remember the name. It was big on antennas-- I bought a couple amplified antennas from them, had an alliterative name, I even had a whole mailbox of advertising they sent me, but I seem to have deleted it. Solidsignal.com, that's it. (and the mailbox is there, namedd solid, but it shows no unread emails, when I thought almost all of them were unread. I was only looking at the names of the ones with unread email.)
But the thing you have from Walmart doesn't seem bad. You know yyou have to buy a separate external harddrive, but that in a way is a good thing, because my harddrive is internal, and when it fails it will be a challenge to initialize a new one. (I used to have instructions and maybe still do, and they might well be online at an avs forum, where I saw them in the first place) So it's better if they're external and you can just buy another. It's the mechanical parts of thigns that fail.
But I've been doing well, timed recording and watching about 18 hours of tv a week, every week for 11 years.
It's not surprising that it's Walmart selling this. You and I are spending like poor people, and that's walmart's market. So 11 years ago when I bought my DVDR, they were about the only place selling it. I think it's by Philips, and it has a DVD reader adn writer, but it's much easier to record to the harddrive, and I can play back a prior recording while making a new one. (Although 4 tuners is just about ridiculous. I haven't seen two good programs on at once, let alone 4. Still, once an IC is designed, it costs only a few cents to make each one.)
Mine has no digital tuner so I have to use a converter box, and there are several little flaws that could have been corrected in a firmware update, but none was ever written.
I know mine will break eventually, so it's good that this thing by Tablo is out there. It appears not to have buttons on the case and I hate that, but what can I do. The ones at solidsignal were adequate also. (I just found out that the supermarket 3 minutes from me is closing, probalby because Walmart sells food. I hate walmart food. I could decide to go to the grocery at 11:20 PM and be back by 11:35.
BTW, googling your model I found recondiitioned for 180 or 150 orsomething.
I have 3 spare remotes that I bought over the years, one for the kitchen, one for my office, and one for the bathroom. If I have to change DVRs, I'll have to start over on that. And I use Powermid so I can control the central DVDR from any of those rooms, and the basement. I have some spare powermids for when they break (and they do break).
I also have an amplified antenna so I can get DC stations here in Baltimore. This probably wonn't apply to you becuse there aren't that many examples of two cities so close to each other, yet far enough away that the regular antenna doesn't work.
Then the signal for baltimore was too strong so I had to buy an attenuators (a little thing with one input, one output and a knob, only 50 cents at a hamfest, $5 or 10 new) and then I have to find the right setting. Too strong and baltimore channels overload and don't show (a design flaw in the DVDR I guess). Too weak and the DC channels don't come in. Only one setting is a decent compromise, and because of that, weather has a bunch to do with it. But this probably doesn't apply to you either.

On 8/1/2018 2:56 AM, Andy wrote:

Has nothing to do with need. There are many issues that you will encounter along the way. Thinking about it on the front end can save a bunch of $$.

That's easy. ATSC TV converter box to your VCR. Done. I used to have 4 converter boxes hooked to two VCRs. VCR couldn't change channels, but it could select from two input sources.

You will record to a computer. Decision is whether to construct one for cheap or pay for one inside a little dedicated box that almost does what you really want.
A 2.8GHZ dual-core computer running windows 7 can record 4 tuners while playing a fifth recording.
I played with HD-Homerun tuners. Trivial to set up. Problem is that I didn't like the compression artifacts.
This is one of the gotchas that you'll encounter. It is very annoying everywhere, but here's an easy way to see it in action. Watch a football game. The camera follows the ball carrier down the field. What does the background view of the stands look like. If it moves smoothly, you're in good shape. If it's jerky and fuzzy, you're not gonna like the result. But, I don't watch football, you say. OK. Look at a closeup of a person with a wrinkled face. Looks great if they don't move. When they move slightly, the wrinkles disappear, then paint in as the compression catches up. It's very annoying. HDTV is very demanding.
Media Center in windows 7 records the raw stream. Looks great. Downside is that it's about 5GB/hour.

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 01 Aug 2018 12:54:10 -0700, mike

Here's a question that seems related to this.
I watch 1950's and 60's TV that's broadcast over the air, and I use a digital converter, and I record it on my digital DVDR harddrive.
When I play it back, will I have lost something, a) from the original?, b) even from what is broadcast in digital?, c) even from what my digital converter put out because even though philips didn't mention it int he manual, they were bound to have used compression?
Sometimes I think a syllable of a word is missing. Is that because of a, b, and c above? Or is it because my hearing is failing a little bit? :) Give your best guess.
When I watch Law & Order and one or two other shows, sometimes the music is so loud I can't understand what they are saying. I know my hearing is failing a little bit, but I don't see how better hearing would let me hear better when the music is so loud. And I know about selective frequency loss, but it's usually the high frequencies that are lost, part of the music, and not voices, which tend to be lower. If I could listen to the original, without a, b, and c above, would I be able to hear it like one should? Give your best guess.
On 8/1/2018 1:11 PM, micky wrote:

Every conversion loses something. The original shows from the '60's were CRAP by today's standards. They got converted to digital for broadcast. Then your converter turned them back into analog. Then your DVDR converted them back to digital and recorded them, likely with compression. Depending on how your player works, they may get converted back to analog again.

All my stuff is recorded in .wtv format by media center. There are multiple audio channels. When I play them back with VLC, the default audio channel varies by the TV channel, network, show or randomly. Changing the audio channel does affect how it sounds in some non-deterministic way. On some PBS recordings, the default audio channel deletes the dialog, but plays everything else. Other audio channel has everything. I had to write a program to let me change audio channels without a keyboard.

I don't know how the Philips device works. There may be some equalizer configuration that can compensate for frequency selective issues.

NTSC is such low resolution, even a 480x recording will get it all.
On 08/01/2018 02:54 PM, mike wrote:
[snip]

Not nearly as bad as bup-bup-bup sound (where you hear just parts of some words, and none of others).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I have a Tivo that does it all for you and also streams the common online sources but it won't let you record streams. I have a 1 TB drive in there and it would take a real long time to fill that up. You can also download the Tivo shows to a PC and burn DVDs from there.
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 12:20:24 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've had Tivos since they first came out and I love it. It was a very smart DVR when others were still dumb. It downloads the schedule and you can just get a seasons pass to a series, it will then record them all, even if the one next week is two hours instead of one, or it's in a special time slot. You can also put in keywords and it will record shows that match those or an actors name and it will record all shows with that actor in them. I suspect many DVRs have those features now, especially the ones from the cable companies, but I've never seen one as easy to use as Tivo.
The downside is they aren't cheap and you have to pay for the TV schedule service, either monthly of with a lifetime purchase if you're going to use it for more than a dumb recorder that just goes by time and channel. It also requires an internet connection. He could look on Ebay for used ones with a lifetime subscription. In any case, I'd just get a DVR, not try to integrate one out of a PC.
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 04:53:49 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I agree. I have a stack of "TV" cards and the software and they are all clunky. These days the TV cards have DRM hardware in them that limits what you can record anyway. The Tivo I have (Roamio OTA) came with lifetime for about $300. I paid that much in 1999 for a Replay with monthly service. I still liked the Replay better. Commercial skip was automatic, among other things. The recording interface was as good or better than Tivo or Dish. The Dish DVR did seem to have most of the features I got in the Tivo as far as the guide, recordings etc are concerned and Dish has a feature I wish Tivo could figure out. The TV popped up caller ID on incoming calls and logged them all.

Don't know about the Dish DVR but I learned that my Comcast X1 DVR does not record the shows but leaves them on the cloud for you to view but you must be connected to the cable. I learned this when power and cable went out one night. I connected my generator but could not view DVR'ed shows. If the power goes out and DVR is set to record you will be able to view the show when it comes back on even though power was off during recording time.

Dish records them, there is no cloud, no a cable going back to the host. They are out there spinning on a hard drive but you can't get them off even if it is the "aux" USB connected drive. They are in some proprietary format. You have to watch them with the Dish box. A PC won't even see the drive and I haven't heard of a Linux guy who could actually get the shows off. OTOH Replay and Tivo will export a usable file.

Interesting to know as I know nothing about Dish or Tivo. I did collect a bunch of VHS tapes over the years but do not find myself watching them.
On 08/02/2018 01:23 PM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

As to DVR, I wanted one in 1999 and looked at what was available. There was TiVo and ReplayTV (not advertised as much). I decided that Replay was better and have used them all the time since then (except for a year or so with Ultimate TV). Replay would probably still be better if they hadn't stopped making them had never had a HD model.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I still have a 4500 but it has a bad drive. I know I can image a drive, go on a web site somewhere to get my lifetime turned back on and go but I was really running out of things I could do with it when the guide that had Dish on it went away and I don't even have dish now. About all it is good for is copying NTSC movies to download to a PC. These days if I want a movie that bad I just buy a DVD at Goodwill (or some other cheap place) and rip it.
[snip]

I have an old 2020 which I can't use now (cable went all-encrypted and the 2020 doesn't get the new IR codes), but most of mine are 5000-series models. Drives can be replaced, although it is getting harder to find parallel ATA drives. Use a USB-IDE adapter and you don't need to open the computer case.

There's 2 ways, an internet site called LaHo (Last Hope ...) or a Windows program called WiRNS (Windows Replay Network Server) which I use. You still need a guide source (usually Schedules Direct, $25/ year).

The alternatives I mentioned include guides.

It can be used with cable, or antenna (although antenna doesn't work as well).

That is one use for it. One of the major advantages of Replay is that the digital recordings are available (most DVRs keep them locked up).

BTW, Replay isn't HD but it DOES handle widescreen.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

My problem trying to use it OTH is I could not find a blaster code the converters I had would take so it would be a totally manual operation. I do remember my old Sony BetaMax SL7200 where the whole operation was manual but I don't want to go back to that. I know about the Wirns, I even have the software but I just don't want to fool with it. The Tivo does have a DVArchive type app but I haven't used it much. These days, it seems that anything worth watching is in the cloud anyway. I fired Dish and I had fired Comcast years before that. I don't see myself ever going back. If I did rebuild the Replay system I would use a drive I have in the stack. If you are spooling them off to a PC right away, you don't need a 320. I have a bunch of 40s.
[snip]

Apparently there are ways to add codes, but it's not easy. When trying codes, it can be easier to start at the END of the list (where the new codes are). There are additional codes available for either of the sources I mentioned.

I used to have DirecTV, and quit mainly because of the really poor customer service. With cable, there's an office n town.

Replays can get really slow when you have a lot of recorded shows, so copying to PC is a good idea.
Mostly OT: In 1970 I saw a movie called "2001: A Space Odyssey" in a theater. Near the beginning it showed a bunch of apes doing what apes do. A caption showed up saying "our forefathers" and people in the theater laughed. Every time I've seen that movie after that, that caption isn't there.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/