Record over the air shows

[snip]

I have an old 2020 which I can't use now (cable went all-encrypted and the 2020 doesn't get the new IR codes), but most of mine are 5000-series models. Drives can be replaced, although it is getting harder to find parallel ATA drives. Use a USB-IDE adapter and you don't need to open the computer case.

There's 2 ways, an internet site called LaHo (Last Hope ...) or a Windows program called WiRNS (Windows Replay Network Server) which I use. You still need a guide source (usually Schedules Direct, $25/ year).

The alternatives I mentioned include guides.

It can be used with cable, or antenna (although antenna doesn't work as well).

That is one use for it. One of the major advantages of Replay is that the digital recordings are available (most DVRs keep them locked up).

BTW, Replay isn't HD but it DOES handle widescreen.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

From what I see they just do this from the guide. That also gives them a continuing product to sell, the guide. That is also the problem with buying the lifetime service. You are only buying the lifetime of the company, not the life of the machine.

Reply to
gfretwell

My problem trying to use it OTH is I could not find a blaster code the converters I had would take so it would be a totally manual operation. I do remember my old Sony BetaMax SL7200 where the whole operation was manual but I don't want to go back to that. I know about the Wirns, I even have the software but I just don't want to fool with it. The Tivo does have a DVArchive type app but I haven't used it much. These days, it seems that anything worth watching is in the cloud anyway. I fired Dish and I had fired Comcast years before that. I don't see myself ever going back. If I did rebuild the Replay system I would use a drive I have in the stack. If you are spooling them off to a PC right away, you don't need a 320. I have a bunch of 40s.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

I think that with the DVRs I bought in 2005-2006 I knew that "lifetime" was a much more limited thing that it sounds. The service was finally stopped in 2015. I still got 9-10 years, so it was worth it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Apparently there are ways to add codes, but it's not easy. When trying codes, it can be easier to start at the END of the list (where the new codes are). There are additional codes available for either of the sources I mentioned.

I used to have DirecTV, and quit mainly because of the really poor customer service. With cable, there's an office n town.

Replays can get really slow when you have a lot of recorded shows, so copying to PC is a good idea.

Mostly OT: In 1970 I saw a movie called "2001: A Space Odyssey" in a theater. Near the beginning it showed a bunch of apes doing what apes do. A caption showed up saying "our forefathers" and people in the theater laughed. Every time I've seen that movie after that, that caption isn't there.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd