Warranty Card?

Page 1 of 2
I was under the impression that under the law a warranty must be honored whether or not you've sent in the warranty card the accompanies a new product. Is that correct? I'm in Illinois.

I never send them in, and have never had a problem with the warranty being honored.
Don't actually know the law though; but you can always say you sent it in, they can't make it contingent on their receiving it since that is out of your hands. You did send it in, didn't you!

Not yet. Had it with me for the serial number & so forth which is why they knew I hadn't yet returned it. This is for a Lawn Boy Lawn Mower, new in May, for which the key start switch fell apart. Lawn Boy referred me to a couple of dealers one of which was Uline Lawn Equipment in Chicago Heights. They told me no dice because I hadn't returned the card. I said I thought the law was that that was not a requirement. He (think it was the owner-- not sure) told me that he didn't care about the law and for the fact that I would bring it up was sufficient reason to refuse me service.

Sounds like the dealer just want to be an asshole and they don't make much on warranty repairs. To my knowledge, the warranty has to be honored as long as you can prove ownership and the date of purchase. Do you have the receipt? Have you tried the store where you bought it? Far as I know, they also have to honor the warranty no matter where in the country you may move to.
Call lawnboy tell them you will trash them on the net if they dont fix it. ' Warrany service is a loser for a dealer often it costs more to collect than you get paid. often dealers just do it for free in the hopes of a regular customer later........

Purchased on amazon.com although the "where did you buy it" had not yet come up in the conversation. Have all the paperwork. I am complaining to Lawn Boy and I have asked the State Attorney General's consumer fraud unit for clarification on what the law is. I have a feel I'm right but that may be binding on the manufacturer not the individual dealership. But if the manufacturer defers to dealers then constructively it's a refusal to honor the warranty. In my non lawyerly opinion.

worst, complain the Lawn Boy. I had a local dealer refuse to fix my router because I bought it on Ebay and not from a dealer. Bosch confirmed from the serial number that it was under warranty and agreed to fix it. Now obviously you can't send it to Lawn Boy, but they might ask the dealer to help you out.
Steve Kraus wrote:

1. Tell Lawn Boy that Uline refused to perform warranty service
2. Take the mower to another authorized repair shop
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I agree, and I'd say which store, and who if I knew who, or I-think-it-was-the-owner if I knew that. but I'd wait to hear your answer from Lawnboy about whether they insist that the warranty card be filled out.
It's not too late to fill it out and send it in. Was there a deadline listed for sending it in? No.

I might do this first to see how the other guy reacts. Don't show him the warranty card, so he won't KNOW you haven't sent it in, and see what happens.
Next time no Lawn Boy. Buy a Lawn Man. They last longer.

shit man, get a Mexican.

The first one may wear out but...plenty of replacments arriving daily.

Lawn-Boy replied (yes on a Sunday!) that proof of purchase (receipt) is the only thing necessary to obtain warranty service. So Uline's is full of sh|t.

That's the plan. I was hoping they could just swap me a replacement switch but they (other place) says I need to bring it in and have them do it so that's what we'll have to do. Not that I couldn't just use some other suitable switch (need not be a key switch) but this is a new mower and it should be right.
Steve Kraus wrote:

Send 'em a present. A fire-truck at 3:00 a.m. is appropriate.
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:57:27 GMT, Steve Kraus

Go to another dealer and stay away from Uline Lawn Equipment. I took in my Toro lawn mower (both plastic wheel gears broke) and they fixed it, no charge. I did bring in the sales receipt. Another dealer refused to repair the mower because he said I did not buy it there, so I told all my friends about how they refused to fix my mower under warranty and when I went shopping for a chain saw I bought elsewhere. Why bother with a store that refuses reasonable service or is rude? BTW, my old LawnBoy spent more time in the repair shop than on the lawn.
Steve Kraus wrote:

steve i don't know the answer to your question.
NOW...am i a great fucking lawyer or WHAT
peteinchicago admitted:

Don't worry; I'll still come to you if I need help with the Mann Act.
Steve Kraus wrote:

Unless my memory fails me, the law was changed about 25 - 30 years ago and eliminated any requirement to return the card. It could have been that they just eliminated any requirement to fill out anything other than your name address etc and nothing about all the marketing questions that usually accompany the cards.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Steve Kraus wrote:

I used to believe that, but my research stopped that. Some states have that requirement; a few people on line claim that Magnuson-Moss prohibits warrantors from requiring the card but no one actually shows where, and my own untrained perusal of M-M shows nothing of the kind. I do see some places on line that absolutely require the warranty card be filled in completely and returned, but at least in California that's not a legal requirement. So who knows?
--
More abuse of eminent domain!
http://www.villagelandgrab.com /
Buck Turgidson wrote:

and what remedy might that be...BUCK
-- i'd really like to hear about this remedy
there is no remedy buck. there is no remedy...cept maybe SELF HELP
-- and we both know what self-help is... a roof-top and an M-16