Wallpaper removal

We want to paint the kitchen walls which are currently covered by waterproof wallpaper and there is no way that I can remove it . Wallpaper removal liquid or water does not penetrate it and there is no way that I can get it off even with a scraper or steam gun. The paper is extremely thin and has no backing. Any ideas?

Get this tool but don't push too hard http://www.zinnser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID
Get the gel type of remover and keep slathering it on.
Old pair of jeans help to scrub the walls when done.
Write your congressman and ask them to pass a useful law like outlawing wallpaper.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Then patch wallboard (because you pushed too hard).

Then prime with BIN or oil primer. Otherwise the glue will some through the paint (you'll never get it all).

Excellent idea! Give them something useful to do!
--
Keith

A scoring tool called I think Paper Tiger is at paint stores

It sounds like contact paper. I googled on removing that and seems you might want to try a hair dryer on it. Otherwise, maybe a combination of the Paper Tiger and one of those wallpaper steamers you can rent? Good luck.
nancy

Wife used a metal scrubber and a solution of very hot water and liquid Downy fabric softener to get rid of our kitchen wallpaper.
Andy Petro wrote:

<snip>
Don't be so defeatist. There are all kinds of ways to remove the stuff; all that is required is more work than you anticipated. Define the problem and the solution is apparent. In this case the problem is a polymer film that restricts solvent access to the underlying adhesive. Breach the film, and the adhesive can be softened with a number of commercial materials, solvents, chemicals, whatever. Consider getting advice from a real paint store for some good ideas and materials. If you like to experiment, even a box store paint department will have some pretty hairy paint strippers (usually containing methylene chloride) that can attack the film and soften the adhesive. Take your time and follow directions. Good luck.
Joe

that's one awful job. I hired a pro and for 300 he did a perfect job, walls were bare and clean, no scars. well worth it...
mike_0 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

My downstairs bathroom had the wallpaper applied directly on the sheetrock, no paint, no sizing. I would have *gladly* paid $300 to have that crap stripped. In fact I should have just gutted the bathroom and started over from the studs. What an unholy mess!
--
Keith