Wallpaper removal question

Part of the wallpaper in my bathroom has started peeling. Thus this weekend i decided to tear some of it down to get the wall ready for paint. The wallpaper comes down easily but leaves a brown paper backing on the wall.

Is the brown paper backing part of the drywall called drywall paper? or does it need to be removed as well? What color is the drywall paper?

Thanks

Reply to
david

Not sure but it sounds like you tore off most of the drywall paper when you removed the wallpaper. Brand new, the paper itself is more white than brown in my mind. What you are seeing is probably the remnants of the drywall paper still clinging to the wall.

Hard to say without seeing it but I'm guessing that it is best to remove it if you are planning to paint. Using a sharp scraper to get under the edge and then try to get it off in big strips. After that you can use sand paper to remove what's left. I like to use an oil based primer on drywall with that kind of damage.

Reply to
Lawrence

By "drywall paper", are you talking about what's part of the drywall when you buy it, or some second thing that might've been applied before the wallpaper?

If the former, and he removes it all, isn't he going to run into the gypsum? Can that be painted?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In my case the wallpaper had brown backing. When was the hosue made? If you have plaster walls, then the brown backing is definately from the wallpaper, and needs to be removed. Anyone who puts wallpaper in a bathroom should be drawn and quartered.

Reply to
scott21230

....and fed to hungry wolves.

The previous owners of this house left some extra wallpaper in the basement. The package says it's suitable for moist environments. Bullshit. The stuff's peeling 1/4 inch a week, and I have a monster bathroom fan that everyone uses.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It can be painted. A skim coat can be used if it is really rough. Oil base primer will help.

Reply to
Lawrence

??? My bathrooms have ALWAYS had wallpaper and they've never peeled. We rarely run the exhaust fans when taking showers, either. I put wallpaper in my mother's bathroom 10 years ago, and it still looks great today, with no peeling. What's the big deal? I can't understand how anyone can put up with flat, painted walls. No pattern, no texture. Yuck.

Reply to
<h>

I assume that you just pull the wallpaper off without wetting it. If so, the brown paper left on the wall is the backing of the wallpaper. Spray it with water and let the water soak in. With luck, the brown backing will then be easly removed with a scraper (a putty knife works well). After removal, make sure all the glue from the wallpaper has been removed. Use DIF (a solution made to soften the glue) if necessary. The wallpaper backing must be removed.

Reply to
noname87

I have stripped a wallpaper that was thick and had a brown paper backing. These were in kitchens and bathrooms where there was a surface coating of a water resistant type, and the backing is just for protection. I have stripped about two thousand sf of wallpaper. There are lots of it, some foil thin, and other as thick as posterboard.

It is difficult to tell without looking at this whether it is backing or drywall. Spray some plain water on it, and let it sit for about five minutes. Rub lightly or scrape lightly and see if the backing comes off down to the paper surface layer of the drywall.

Soaking and slow peeling and scraping are the secret to removing wallpaper. Use plain water, and allow it to set long enough to soften the layer you want to remove. Don&#39;t overwet, as you want it to soak in rather than run down. Use any old spray bottle. Use the plastic yellow scrapers that they sell cheap for drywall mud.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The house was built in 97. Yes I did dry pull it. So i should be ripping out the brown paper as well?

Reply to
david

What you are seeing is the backing of the wall paper. the wallpaper has separated and the glue is still on the wall, leaving you with the vinyl/whaterever in your hand, that brown stuff has to come off, usually with lots of hard work. if you paint over it you will forever see bumps and rough patches. I found using a lot of water, to soften the glue and a good scrapper to be the best method of removing. however, in one room it was so bad that it was easier to just put a coat of mud over the entire room to clean up the bumps.

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

hi Please click this link.

First of all i can&#39;t tell from the link whether the brown paper is the drywall paper or the wall paper covering? Secondly the talk about leaving it in place/

Reply to
david

Yes, you should be removing the brown paper.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

well,

the color of the wallboard/drywall paper should be the same color as the primer that was used to paint the house. usually white ish. so if what you have is brown, its most likely the backing paper. try wetting it and scrapping it off, if there is a smooth white surface below, thats your primed wall board.

worst possible scenario is that the wallpaper was put on without the drywall being primed.... then you are in for a fight. it will be tough to separate the backing paper from the drywall facing, again still often a light color, or maybe green in wet locations.

as for that product, I don&#39;t know why I would pay for something else if I can simply use drywall mud to cover any gouges/holes/mess points.

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

The brown paper is part of the wallpaper. I spray on soapy water, (dish detergent is ok) let it soak then take it off with a scraper. Stubborn little bits come off easily with a plastic scrub pad.

Reply to
Dan Espen

sounds good from here, make sure you sand all your joint compound fixes really well, you can thin the joint compound out by mixing in a bit more water if necessary.

I don&#39;t know about oil primers vs other primers,

I&#39;ve used Killz quite successfully in the past.

Reply to
Zephyr

[snip]

Actually it&#39;s neither difficult or messy to remove wallpaper. Use a tool which scores the paper to allow the liquid to get behind the paper and attack the adhesive, and use a wall paper removal enzyme. Sherwin Williams and other places that sell wallpaper should have both -- the scoring tool is called "Paper Tiger" (one brand name) and you simply roll it around on the wall paper. Then spray the wall paper with the enzyme ("Dif" wallpaper remover from Zinnser is one brand), wait for a few minutes, and the paper should come right off.

Reply to
JimR

"david" wrote in news:1174922995.373884.173610 @b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

What you are doing is how I find it easiest to remove wallpaper. Remove the surface by peeling, not ripping, off the wall. The brown paper backing separates. Wet the paper backing left with rag and warm water. Let it sit 5 min. Wet it again. Sit 5 min. Should scrape off very easily with a putty knife. DOn;y let it dry before scraping. If not, try a 3rd wetting. If still not, oh boy.

The drywall surface is grey but hopefully was painted when installed. If you get below the grey surface, you will see brown drywall paper. Not good to get to that point.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Different strokes for different folks, I guess- I hate wallpaper- makes it impossible to change anything mounted on the wall, patch holes, change colors, etc. You want patterns, paint a mural or use stencils.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Different strokes for different folks, I guess- I hate wallpaper- makes it

Again ??? How does wallpaper versus paint affect anything mounted on the wall or patching holes? Paint is MUCH more of a hassle. With paint you have to fill the hole and then hope that your leftover paint is still good and still matches the wall color. With wallpaper you don't even have to fill the hole if you're lazy, you slap a small piece of wallpaper over the hole, use a razor to cut a small, irregular circle through both the new piece and what's on the wall, pull the cut out off the wall, and apply the new patch. Takes about 5 minutes, and it will always match. For changing colors, you just take down the old wallpaper and put up new, just like you'd have to paint to change colors. As far as a mural (euwwww) or stencils, if I stenciled an entire room it would take weeks, and look just like wallpaper if I did it right. Why on earth would I do that when I can put up wallpaper in one day? Also, I've never lived in a house built after 1900. Old houses are supposed to have wallpaper. They just look "wrong", flat, boring, and unfinished without it. Painted walls scream modern tract house. As always, however, YMMV.

Reply to
<h>