gas oven won;t heat

My tappan gas oven won't heat. When I turn it on the burners fail to light therefore not heating up. The top burners work fine even my broiler will not ignite. I can smell gas but do not see a flame. Can you please help me.

Reply to
badge

If you can't figure it out yourself, PUHLEEZE get a professional in there ASAP.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Your pilot flame has gone out. There is an adjustment on the oven control , but if you don't know how to set it, call a repairman. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A bad igniter does that on our Tappan. Ours fails about every 3-4 years. (We use the oven quite a bit.) The part costs about $50, and is pretty easy to replace.

George

Reply to
George

Not if it's fairly new. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Maybe, maybe not. Not enough info was given. Also, I&#39;m not sure that Tappan is still an active brand. If not, it is indeed a few years old.

Ranges with oven pilot lights are still being made and sold. I recently bought one for a rental where there was no electrical outlet near the stove and I was lazy...and admittedly cheap... :-)

Doug

Reply to
Doug

And are NOT the normal everyday item that people are purchasing. Even if it&#39;s manufactured in the last 10-15 years, it&#39;s highly likely that it doesn&#39;t have a pilot light. Since that&#39;s pretty much the life expectancy, you can pretty much guess that it doesn&#39;t have a pilot!

Reply to
<kjpro

Approx. 4 months ago I bought a brand new gas range with standing pilots (burners and oven) as backup for my regular range.

Just see how well an electronic ignition oven serves in an extended power outage; here&#39;s a hint: NOT WELL.

BTW, that range was IN STOCK at the local appliance store.

Reply to
Ermalina

Well, I wouldn&#39;t know what is a "normal" purchase. I do know that every major manufacturer offers a range with standing pilots.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I know that they&#39;re made and stocked, but they ARE NOT the normal range that everyone buys to put in their kitchen!!!!! Most people like self-cleaning ovens, find one of those today that has a pilot light!

Reply to
<kjpro

Most people like sealed burners and self-cleaning ovens. They&#39;re not the ones that normally have pilots.

Reply to
<kjpro

Also many localities (NYC is one) forbids the sale of appliances with a standing pilot (except for water heaters). The most basic models sold have electronic ignition. In addition, prior to that requirement, the oven portion of a range did not have a standing pilot either. The oven was lighted with a match held over a hole in the front of the oven. As long as the oven knob was on, a pilot would remain lit when the oven flame cycled to maintain a temperature, but the pilot would go off when the oven knob was set to the off position.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

FWIW, we&#39;ve got a low-end Montgomery Ward (made by Tappan -- that gives a clue about how old it is) and even IT has an electric igniter for the oven. I think it&#39;s more common to have pilots for top burners than for ovens.

Reply to
CJT