wallpaper removal question

My wife is removing some very old wallpaper off a plaster wall with wallpaper remover and a roller. She plans on priming and painting the wall. The paper is all off, but no matter what she doers there seems to be some glue residue left behind. Does she need to scrape off 100% of the glue (which she thinks is almost impossible), or will it be OK if there's some residue left on the walls when she primes and paints?

Reply to
HamNCheese

The paint will soften the glue and the paper remnants will wrinkle. (been there , done that). Keep washing with warm water, and a sponge, till it doesn't feel slick. The only other possiblilty is perhaps the original formula oil based Kilz as a primer. That may work.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

I believe they make a special paste removing solvent. Check at a paint store and they should be able to help you out. It is good if you are talking real plaster and not drywall, it can take a lot more washing and hold up better than drywall.

Reply to
Mark

Don't waste money on special "removers". Just spray with warm water until it comes off easily.

Reply to
<h>

I agree. Most paste softens easily when sprayed with warm water. Spray, wait a few minutes and scrub it off. I haven&#39;t done this on real plaster, so I would make sure you aren&#39;t softening the plaster while washing. If, for some reason, it does not wash off, I would sand likghtly with fine sandpaper - paste won&#39;t harm the paint but testure left will cause shadows when painted. If leaving paste on the wall, I would use alkyd primer before painting.

Reply to
Norminn

Mix dish detergent and water in a spray bottle. Spray on glue, wait 30 seconds. Wipe with plastic scrubber pad. Then use sponge or cloth.

The plastic scrubber pad is the key.

Reply to
Dan Espen

No way! You&#39;ll damage the wall texture if you really are insane and prefer painted walls to wallpaper :)

Spray with warm water (no detergent!) Wait at least 3 minutes then wipe off with a paper towel. Hell, you can usually just peel it off in huge sheets with your hands, at this point. If the paper won&#39;t come off, spray again and wait, and DON&#39;T let the paper dry between sprayings. Wipe off with a paper towel.

Keeping the paper wet the entire time is the key. I&#39;ve used this technique on plaster, sheetrock, and wood.

Reply to
<h>

Try a vinegar and water solution. 1/4 - 1/3 vinegar. Increase the amount of vinegar if needed, til it works.

Spray and scrape or spray and wipe w/sponge, depending on the nature of the residue. Let it soak a wee bit (but not dry) before attempting removal.

This works. I have stripped 5 rooms recently, and it worked on the toughest of them (just required more steps).

Renata

Reply to
Renata