Wallpaper removal

I have recently been doing some wallpaper stripping from a wall in my home and I came across a valuable idea. When I dampened the wallpaper with a sponge and let the water soak in, the paper seemed to peel of rather easily. Maybe others have found that using water is a good idea? I was thinking that maybe I could patent the idea of using a bucket and sponge- any thoughts on that? A friend of mine had the answer of not having to strip wallpaper anymore - he emulsions his walls instead using an emulsion pad but that tends to leave streaks on his walls. I suggested to him that he use an emulsion brush which I feel is a good idea. The reason water makes wallpaper easily removable is that wallpaper paste is mixed with water so therefore the water returns the dried paste to its original paste form. Wallpaper paste can be quite tricky to mix. I tend to mix it with a little water first to ensure a good smootheness. If it is lumpy the paste will leave bumps beneath the paper which is an unsightly sight if one stands at 45 degrees to the wall. Therefore i suggest mixing it thoroughly before use. Bob.

Reply to
bob

Oh! gawd now- he tells me after all these years.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I am indebted to you forever for this tip sir!

Reply to
EricP

I think you're a bit late! Devices like

- which use steam rather than water - have been around since Adam was a lad!

Reply to
Set Square

Oh! Back to the drawing board then! Bob.

Reply to
bob

The Romans used a system invented by Urinus Extractimus.

I had no idea that wallpaper paste was mixed using water. I thought it was ready made by Shiphams of Chichester.

Regards Pastor O'Walls

Reply to
mcbrien410

Urinus Extractimus - I like it! Bob

Reply to
bob

I found that if you hold the wallpaper up with drawing pins,it COMPLETELY eliminates any future 'water / sponge / brush / scraper' unpleasantness. As an added advantage you can make little pictures out of the drawing pin heads. I have a wall made completely of drawing pins.

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Looks like Bob has brought to an end these regular discussions on the merits of sds drills. Water! Blimey! Don't half feel stupid now, ah do!

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Hey Bob, any special tips for removing woodchip paper, without resorting to hammer and chisel? TIA, you are obviously an expert and I bow to your brilliance. Better yet, maybe you could come round and assess the situation?

Reply to
fred

One of these actually makes it quite easy:

TIA, you are obviously an expert and I bow to your brilliance.

better still do it for you ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You have made the fatal mistake of revealing your idea before patenting it!

Bwahahahahahaah!

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Woodchip wallpaper comes off very easily with a sponge and a bucket of water but the water must be wet enough to soak in for at least an hour. Failing that, just sit there and question yourself as to why you hung woodchip wallpaper in the first place. bob

Reply to
bob

.. and what if your water isn't wet enough........................?

Reply to
Ophelia

then make it wetter... I say, must I tell you how to do everything! lol bob

Reply to
bob

Theres a hole in your bucket, dear Ophelia.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

That's all very well, but it doesn't remove the wallpaper. Also, Bob, remember those balls of lime (aka whitewash)? Often applied to ceilings? How do you attach wallpaper (sorry, ceiling paper) to that? PS, do Screwfix supply your wet water? PPS, how many beans make 5?

Reply to
fred

Water isn't actually that wet - which is why we use detergents..................

Dave

Reply to
david lang