Vinyl Siding Pricing Questions

I live in central Virginia. My house currently has 18 year old masonite siding that hasn't been taken very good care of. Needless to say it rotting and it's time to replace it. We've decided on vinyl siding for all the normal reasons (low maintenance etc) and are currently looking for quotes. I called Sears, got an estimate, and almost died when I saw the numbers.
He estimated 2200 sq ft so adjusting for cutting and waste that's about 25 squares. We would also need all the window/door trim, soffets etc. No gutters though. He estimated $17,000 for their lowest quality vinyl. We were expecting 5 or 6 thousand. Could that possibly be correct?! We haven't gotten any other estimates yet, but if they are all going to be in that range we're going to have to start thinking about other options.
I was wondering, too, if anyone had any tips on picking a local contractor if we decide to go with someone from our area instead. What are good things to look for? I've also heard of people buying their own siding from the manufacturer and then hiring a contractor to install it. Is the savings from that worth the hassle?
Thanks for any help, it's very much appreciated.
-liz
Get bids , go look at their work . Anybody good should have 20 - 50 refrences. Go to your court house to check if they have any cases pending.
If I had checked court records I wouldnt have hired my last contractor, I am now one of 20 trying to collect.

<snip>
Look in the yellow pages under vinyl siding and call 3 or 4 companies to give you a quote. Maybe even a home improvement type contractor. Drive around and find a house that has been done recently and ask them.
I got a quote on my house last year (2300 sq ft, single story) that included all of the soffits, doors windows, everything but the gutters and downspouts for $8200. They are the best (and most expensive) in the area and I just had them come out to get an idea of what it WOULD cost. I'm sure there are several other contractors out there that can do the same quality work using the same brand of siding for even less than that.
You have to remember: When you call Sears, they are just the middle man. They sub contract someone to do the work for them. Someone that YOU could call without going through Sears.....
wrote

included
downspouts
had
using
however.... if you call sears, sears is gonna be around in 10-20 years if you have a problem with it.
im not saying sears is the way to go, just something to think about. 'tim and jim's siding' may not be around to honor that warranty no matter how good they are. sears probably will.
randy
--WebTV-Mail-21574-1121 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I had vinyl siding put on my house about 10 years ago. The contractor warrantees the installation for only so many years. I have a signed warranty paper from the manufacture of the vinyl.
Pat
--WebTV-Mail-21574-1121 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-21574-1121--
i bet if you look close, it warranties the siding, not the labor..
randy

Once again we hit the same thing as on A/C units. The company or person doing the installation matters a heck of a lot more than what they are installing. We had vinyl siding put up over 8 years ago. It still looks great and has absolutely no defects. Our neighbor had some other company install his vinyl and every other storm the poor guy has to get up on a ladder to reinstall some part of the siding.

Just a word of caution. Your masonite lasted 18 years. Expect the vinyl to last 8 years at best. The stuff is crap, to put it nicely. If you're gonna spend the money, get something that will last another 18 or more, such as aluminum or steel. Vinyl is plastic, and it deteriorates from sunlight, cracks in the winter from cold, and warps from heat. I suggest you go to a building supply store and price the materials. Then either DIY or maybe they have a contractor,