Vinyl Siding

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:52:05 -0500, Tony Miklos

is very fire resistant.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 8:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Its cedar shingles
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 7:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

100% sure its cedar shingles! When the house was built about 40 years ago, bi-laws or covenants restricted the siding material used on houses. A percentage (I can't remember the exact amount) of the front exterior had to be built with brick from a specific brick manufacturer (Shaw concrete I believe) and cedar shingles over the rest. The brick covenant still exists, but since then the siding type has been eliminated.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:40:03 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

I didn't even look at the other pics till you mentioned this. I recall looking at those others a year or two ago. That's some historic house he had posted. Myself, I think that old house is gorgeous, or was.... If it was nearby, I'd love to restore it, but the foundation problems look serious. Yet I think I could restore it.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) writes:

The house does look really nice and it would be a shame to put traditional vinyl or aluminum on it.
I had my house covered with Nailite Vinyl shake. In my opinion it looks better than any wood siding. It is expensive but you never paint it. Mine looks new and it was installed in 1989. Around 20-25K. You'd be dealing with a much smaller area and 2012 dollars.
Still, really nice house the way it is.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖

http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011.jpg
*That house has some character. It would be a shame to clad it in a sterile wrap. I would get prices for a good paint job that includes a lot of prep work in order to get a long lasting finish.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. The siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. A good paint job done right can last 10 years. And you don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc. IMO real wood looks far better than siding. Siding is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but just doesn't look like wood.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 05:29:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 12:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The OP has stated about 6 times now that it is cedar, which last time I checked is wood.
Add pictures here
✖

There actually isn't any trim requiring any paint. The window casings have all been covered by aluminum, and so have the fascia's. Also the soffit has been replaced with perforated vinyl.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 05:29:44 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Of the guys saying paint is better, how many will show up at the house with a brush in hand?
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/20/2012 10:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

i'd rekon any painting company would be glad to show up on time. done.
--
Steve Barker
✖

Let's look at the actual cost over 10 or 20 years and see what makes sense.
It is so easy to sit at the computer and tell others what is best, but getting out there sometimes changes the final decision.
Add pictures here
✖

material to reside with vinyl - and significantly less than replacing the aluminum.
Add pictures here
✖
aluminum siding must be going up in price, and around here people steal it to sell to the scrap metal yards.
side with vinyl siding and while your at it add a nice layer of foam insulation. and cut your utility bills.
In pittsburgh vinyl siding lats near forever.
Most notably a brick home near where I grew up got sided with vinyl when I was a kid.
I am 54 so the siding is over 40 years old and still looks good today, although it needs a bath.
The homeowner of the time felt bad covering the brick but it was soft brick and detoriating badly.
hhe reported cutting his gas bill by half at the time, and cut his property tax bill too.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 21, 1:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm all for saving on maintenance, headaches, but given the tradeoff in look between real wood and vinyl siding I would be perfectly fine with having it painted about every 10 years. Being a rental property, the work is also tax deductible. Around here you'd be lowering the value of the property by putting up vinyl or aluminum.
Add pictures here
✖