Vinyl Siding

I fully agree!!!

Reply to
jw

And it is very resistant to rot and insect damage - not to mention it is very fire resistant.

Reply to
clare

My first house had vinyl-clad aluminum. It was pretty nice stuff but I'd rather have the Hardi products today. Our current house is Hardi-panel and I like it a lot. A decade or so back, I replaced the siding on our VT house with cedar and knowing what I do now, I'd use Hardi-plank in a heartbeat.

Reply to
krw

=3DIMG_0801 1.jpg

100% sure its cedar shingles! When the house was built about 40 years ago, bi-laws or covenants restricted the siding material used on houses. A percentage (I can't remember the exact amount) of the front exterior had to be built with brick from a specific brick manufacturer (Shaw concrete I believe) and cedar shingles over the rest. The brick covenant still exists, but since then the siding type has been eliminated.
Reply to
camryguy

=3DIMG_08011 .jpg

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property without siding.

Reply to
camryguy

Yes it was...the house was left abandoned about 35 years ago--I did get a chance to explore the interior and it was magnificent on the inside. It was a pity, but in the end, it was beyond repair!

Reply to
camryguy

=3DIMG_0801 1.jpg

Its cedar shingles

Reply to
camryguy

s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011 .jpg

Is the house in Halifax Nova Scotia??

Reply to
clare

nt=3DIMG_08011 .jpg

yes

Reply to
camryguy

s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011.jpg

The house does look really nice and it would be a shame to put traditional vinyl or aluminum on it.

I had my house covered with Nailite Vinyl shake. In my opinion it looks better than any wood siding. It is expensive but you never paint it. Mine looks new and it was installed in 1989. Around 20-25K. You'd be dealing with a much smaller area and 2012 dollars.

Still, really nice house the way it is.

Reply to
Dan Espen

nt=3DIMG_08011 .jpg

Yes it is in Halifax Nova Scotia--In the Fairview-clayton park area

Reply to
camryguy

s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011 .jpg

All I can say is if that is 40 year old cedar it is too nice to cover up or remove!!!! Most NovaScotia Cedar sider homes don't look that good after 40 years - and a lot NEVER looked that good.

Halifax weather is hard on natural wood siding. My daughter says she prefers Winnipeg weather to Halifax weather, but she's got another 6 months to a year left there at least.

Reply to
clare

nt=3DIMG_08011 .jpg

I couldn't agree more--My parents house, which is about two streets away is in terrible shape--the cedar siding on one side is cracked and brittle and is beyond repair--They will be siding their house this summer. The front of my property is in good shape, the back needs to be painted. I want something that is extremely low maintenance and will last 20+ years. Halifax weather is terrible to say the least...it is always wet and rainy--or its sweltering and uncomfortable--these extremes are hard on houses and people! Is your daughter attending school here?

Reply to
camryguy

I've been living with vinyl for the past 30 years. Every summer I hose it off and I'm done.

My wife would like to change the color, but I'm not about to start painting it. I'm getting older, not younger and I don't want to be hanging off a ladder in my 70's.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Of the guys saying paint is better, how many will show up at the house with a brush in hand?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

i'd rekon any painting company would be glad to show up on time. done.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hardi-plank with impregnated color. Tough as nail, very fire resistant. Vinyl and fire! No way! Vinyl will melt like pudding exposed to heat. They are talking about banning Vinyl siding over here.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011 .jpg

Daughter is down South Park area. Close to the harbour.

Reply to
clare

s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011 .jpg

If you can get the wood dry, a good coat of Benjamin Moore premium exteriour semi-gloss - can't remember what the coall it now - used to be MooreGlo should last 20 years... Does the back fase the water (house faces west)?

Daughter is doing her Masters at St Mary's Did her undergrad in Winterpeg, and has spent time in South Africa and Rwanda in between.

Reply to
clare

Just had our aluminum repainted for the first time 2 years ago, at 36 years of age. Washing it every year for the last 30 had worn the paint a bit thin.

Reply to
clare