Vinyl Siding

Page 1 of 3
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011.jpg
Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering the brick on the front.

Get quotes on painting. Get quotes on vinyl siding. The latter are usually very competitive with so many firms in the business, and the installers are usually quite competent and quick. The paint will look better, the vinyl last somewhat longer. Make your decision on which you value most. if it were mine, I'd paint it.
Joe
On 1/19/2012 11:40 PM, Joe wrote:

What kind of siding is that? Looks too new to be asbestos, maybe not? If it is asbestos it's fine where it is, but does it become hazmat when removed?
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:25:48 -0800 (PST), camryguy

I still like good aluminum siding over vinyl. More durable - and to my eye better looking. You want SUPPORTED aluminum though
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:46:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My first house had vinyl-clad aluminum. It was pretty nice stuff but I'd rather have the Hardi products today. Our current house is Hardi-panel and I like it a lot. A decade or so back, I replaced the siding on our VT house with cedar and knowing what I do now, I'd use Hardi-plank in a heartbeat.

Hi, Hardi-plank with impregnated color. Tough as nail, very fire resistant. Vinyl and fire! No way! Vinyl will melt like pudding exposed to heat. They are talking about banning Vinyl siding over here.

If you get enough heat to destroy the siding, the building is most likely a total loss anyway. I don't like vinyl because it looks like crap from day one. Vinyl-clad aluminum is a completely different animal, though.
I suppose I should ad that I don't plan to remove the original cedar siding, merely just covering it up. Thoughts?

Are you going to fur it out? The new siding may be wavy, if not.
On Jan 21, 12:54pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Thats a good point--When I go to get quotes, that will be one thing I'll ask. I don't want to spend my money just to have the house look worse!
On 1/21/2012 10:57 AM, camryguy wrote:

don't put siding on it then!
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:57:03 -0800 (PST), camryguy

Unless the siding is removed and the job done RIGHT - it will. How do plan on adressing the fit of the siding around the windows? J-Molding?? Looks like crap. You want the siding to fit in behind the "brickmold" or whatever you call the part of the window that overhangs the siding like brickmold does on brick.. And you need it well caulked. You do NOT want moisture getting between the new vinyl and the old siding, trapped in there and causing rot.
On 1/21/2012 10:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

if it's vinyl, it'll be wavy no matter what. LOL!
--
Steve Barker

If he uses vinyl with backing and furring strips, it'll be wavy^2. ;-)
On 1/21/2012 11:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

i wondered about that. I've NEVER heard of furring out for siding.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:48:22 -0800 (PST), camryguy

Well, unless the wood is in a LOT worse shape than at the front, I sure wouldn't cover it up. And if it IS, it needs to be removed - not covered. Just my opinion.
Haven't seen 40 year old altantic cedar shake siding looking that good in a long time.. It looked so good I was SURE it was asbestos cement "shingle" siding.
I'd paint it - but it's YOUR house.
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:25:48 -0800 (PST), camryguy

Too bad you want to ruin that nice looking siding with that cheap crappy ugly looking plastic crap. Painting is not that hard to do.
Just my opinion

On the presumption that you purchased the house in the first photo, my compliments on buying a very nice looking house. I'd paint. Vinyl siding has a cheap look. If you really do not want to paint every 7 to 10 years, get aluminum siding.
Now if we're discussing the house in photos 2 thru 11, WTF were you thinking when you bought this barn. My first thought was "Too bad arson is a felony with no statute of limitations."
On Jan 20, 2:40am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Yes, your assumption is correct. I did buy the house in the first picture. The rest were shots of a house before it was demolished.
If I lived in the property, I would have no problem painting it, this is merely an investment with both sides generating rental income. I need something that will last, look good, and will require minimal maintenance. I will get quotes for both vinyl and aluminum and proceed from there. Thanks for the reply!
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:31:45 -0800 (PST), camryguy

What is there NOW, painted, will outlast either aluminum or vinyl on a rental property. The stuff is durable - and takes paint well. Vinyl can look like crap in a few years if it gets hit, particulatly cold - and the corner caps are also fragine. Aluminum will dent if hit - good quality supported aluminum not as bad - and the Johns-Manville siding just keeps on keeping on unless it is hit hard enough to fracture it.