Vinyl siding

How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA
On Tue, 8 May 2007 16:42:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

Chaulk line? Got to start some where. Never done myself.
-- Oren
Herb and Eneva wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=install+vinyl+siding
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

There are generic instructions at the Vinyl Siding Institute website here:
<http://www.vinylsiding.org/
Click on the "publications" link and there you will find an installation manual, and many other publications related to vinyl siding.
--
--Tim Smith

Get started by calling the seamless steel siding guys. You'll regret the vinyl. Everyone always does. 'course you can't tell them before they do it.
--
Steve Barker

"Herb and Eneva" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message

You must have a different definition of "everyone" and "always" than most other people.
--
Chris Lewis,

Nope, there are three kinds of vinyl siding customers. 1. those who have had problems 2. those who will have problems 3. those who won't admit they had problems.
Steve Barker

I guess I'm a #2, but after 29 years so far, something just may happen eventually.
There may be something better out there, but I'd not hesitate to do it again based on past history.
First thing to do it get some information on good siding. Meaure out the area you want to side and get the right amount of squares. Look at the windows and doors and get the right amount of j-channel.
The starter strip goes on the most bottom part of where you want to side. Get a nice chalk line stapped straight and level. From there you put the starter strip on and go from there. If you attach it with nails or screws you do need leave it loose about 1/8" from the wall to allow movement.
How to cut it??/ I used a miter saw with the blade backwards. You do not want to cut the material you want to grind it away for clean cuts. You can also use a sharp blade or scissors to cut it.
All it in all its easy to work with.
On May 8, 4:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

Aviation tinsnips work quite well. They have the leverage to cut cleanly and accurately under control without requiring too much grunting, cursing and swearing, and less likely to draw blood than a knife ;-)
Not remotely as fast as a mitre saw, and you'll want to avoid exposing many of your end cuts. But for a first-timer, it paces things out nicely, and you don't have to get so crazy about safety gear.
Did a 14'x14' gable end shed (9' side walls). First time with vinyl. Two relaxing days of work. A pro with a mitre saw could have probably done it by lunch break on the first day.
S'alright. It was a nice weekend.
Result really nice if I do say so myself.
--
Chris Lewis,

On 9 May 2007 10:37:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've never put up siding, but a friend was considering it, so we looked at methods used.
Excellent comments and on target. A large set of tin snips and a square are also recommended. I can see getting the first bottom run right is important.

-- Oren