Used car prices: UP

Page 3 of 3

-snip-
A friend has a 2011 or 12 & I have long though it was a fine looking car--- Then I saw a 2013-- Gotta give them credit for that one. I'm a GM guy, but I hear the siren's song. . . . Hope my 2001 Impala is nice to me for 4-5 more years.
Jim

I drove mostly GM for many years. The last one, 2001 LebSabre, turned to crap in my driveway. When thing started going bad after two years (but more than 36k miles) GM was no help. They wanted to give me a few bucks off a new car.
Heated seat (they wanted $672 to replace it), transmission, power windows, heat and AC, brake lines, wheel bearings, steering wheel controls, bunch of other stuff in five years. I finally just gave it away. No more GM here.
I'm on my third trouble free Hyundai.

Well now. Ford owned Jaguar for a while and a much modified Ford V8 engine was fitted to Jaguars and still is in some models. The Buick 3500cc engine has been fitted (extensively modified)to (Land) Rover for decades. Many parts for cars are "off the shelf" and not specifically made for any particular car or even make of car.
Shit American cars are well known to be just different bodywork fitted to mechanics years old. This is why the US car industry is in trouble. Lack of developement. Old technology. And the oil companies.
Happens when accountants are put in charge of things instead of engineers/enthusiasts.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 01:07:13 -0800 (PST), harry

So what killed the British car industry????
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:48:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

British engineering prowess.

The same thing that almost killed the US auto industry, namely upper mgt awarding themselves ever more $$$$ while failing to upgrade their own product and mfg processes. Harley would have died too if the brand didn't have such a legacy and middle class geezers hadn't come outta the woodwork in droves to relive their too-poor youth. Plus, the Brit govt wasn't so stupid as to bail out the failing Brit car/motocycle industry at its citizens expense.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Short sighted as usual.
On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:30:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

with the help of brittish accountants and bankers.
Per snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz:

"British Rustproofing: Oil Seals".
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:16:38 -0600, Vic Smith

Or in the case of the MPV/TransSprt - PLASTIC.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 22:34:48 -0600, Vic Smith

It was a high mileage vehicle with a brand new crate engine in it. Damn thing never did run what I would call well. The 17 foot travel trailer we towed across north america behind a 3 liter Ford Aerostar with no issues gave the 3.8 Pontiac fits. Put 3 O2 sensors in it -and finally kept the CEL from coming on under normal driving - but still could not tow the trailer. Sold the trailer. Trip to Lakeland Florida from Ontario Canada the engine threw a code and went into limp mode several times. Kept saying it was going lean. Never gave an O2 sensor code. Third O2 sensor solved it. OEM parts. The wiper motor went. Twice in 100,00km. The heater motor went bad. The AC sprung leaks 3 times. Go over a bit of yough road surface at under 1/4 tank and the engine would quit - drawing air because the tank vibrated, aerating the gasoline. Had to bleed the fuel rail from the schrader valve to get it going again. - so never let it get below 1/4 tank.
At 196000km on the AC DELCO crate engine it came apart on the highway and I said good riddance.
That was the 3.8 -Generally known to be a pretty good engine: the 3.1 engines were known to be a lot worse.

The TransSport was Pontiac's version of the Chevy Lumina APV - which was basically a Lumina station wagon. Same power train, and a lot of other functional parts were also common to the sedan - including the troublesome wiper motor and heater motor, and A/C parts.
I'll take a Ford or a Chrysler over ANY GM.
I generally buy my cars at 100,00km (60,000 miles) and about 10 years old - for about $5000 to $6000 and drive them another10 years. Bough my 2 aerostars a bit newer and paid a lot more for them, but the last couple of Chryslers and the last 2 Ford cars have been to that formula. Both Aerostars went over 240,000km. The 88 New Yorker went over 240,000, and I sold it as a good looking and good running car. The Mystique was 16 years old with low mileage and a lot of rust when I scrapped it this summer. Only the second car I've ever owned that went to scrap when I was finished with it - and it was still running GREAT.

My step-mother had one - and my kid brother still has one.

You know YOUR Lumina. Yes, they are cheap to buy used, and there are good ones - but they were NEVER known as a fantastic car. Granted the '95 and newer (second generation) were a LOT better than the first generation (90 to 94) disaster-mobiles. Parts fell off all over (the interior was really crappy) and the ride and handling were awfull, even by American manufacturer's standards. The 3.1 engine was anemic - After 1995 the 3.8 had the long-standing intake problems, and the 3.4 was a time-bomb, but they were definitely a much better car
Talking about the interior, the seats were AWFULL.

So are new car prices, up untill the crash.

Fully depreciated at 12 years ? My cavalier just got totaled. They gave me $4450 which had my deducible already subtracted. Was a 2001 .
Just bought a 1998 olds 88 74k miles at $3k and 1999 outback for $5k 100k miles, it was very clean, and had timing belt replacement already done. Should be good for another 70k.
I don't think private sell vehicles will jump price much here. There was a lot of good buys lately, over last summer. They must be buying new vehicles, or downsizing.
Greg

Before I bought 1998 olds, was fixing a 1995 olds with the 1.5 obd. It's not my car, but unfortunately I could not for see all the problems, including upper and lower head gaskets, brake lines, other stuff spending $2 k and it's still a POS. Now the power steering leaking and transmission lines. 177k miles. If it had new shocks, it would ride nice. Learning experience.
Greg

Or walking.

I'd have to agree - since the "rebound", as slow and mild as it has been, more people ARE buying new cars - so more used are hitting the market again - so at least untill the flood, used car prices were softening a bit. Doesn't hurt that the new cars have been heavily discounted - and even the MSRP has dropped in many cases.

I got one of those. A '60 Rambler American w/ new rebuilt engine, flathead straight six, in '73. One of the best cars I ever owned. Still ran to beat the band when I sold it 4 yrs later, but the front end needed a total rebuild and I didn't know spit about front ends, then. I shoulda learned. Ugly as spit, but great rolling stock. Sucker would cruise effortlessly at 75 all day long.
I'm one of those weirdos. I see a car as merely a tool, not a personal statement. I'll buy an ugly heap in a heartbeat. Some of my faves were the 66' Plym Satellite for $400. Drove it 60 mi day for four years. A Rusty ol' VW Rabbit diesel, also $400, which I drove 70 mi per day, for 5 yrs, getting 40mpg! Most comfortable car seats ever invented. Later, a '76 Plym Sat for $600. One of those classic 70s 4-doors they trashed a million of on TV cops shows. This one in mint condition. A great family car. Five years, 70 mi per day.
You can keep yer $20K-$40K new cars. I can buy a house fer that.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

And no ball joints - all pins and trunions - NOT a nice front end to work on. Tough car though!!

I've owned over 26 cars and 5 motorcycles - only bought ONE new. From $60 to $15000 for the used ones. Last 6 or so less than $6500
On 11/9/2012 6:46 PM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-flooded-cars-20121109,0,244965.story
Obama could start a "Cash For Floddies" program to get rid of all the flooded out vehicles. ^_^
TDD