Flooded Floor Clean Up

Too much rain at one time. Tiled basement floor got covered with water--water table problem not surface seepage. It's gone now and I want to get recommendations relative to cleaning/sanitizing it. Leaning toward washing with a mixture of bleach and water, except I don't know what the mix should be-1 part bleach to ??? parts water. Any suggestions would be appreciated. MLD

Reply to
MLD

1/2 Cup bleach to gallon of water (approx).

Warning: Doing this on a floor will evaporate huge amounts of vapor containing chlorine. Unless you provide powered ventilation of the area from outside air, you will put yourself at great risk for lung damage (ask me how I know:-( A respirator mask (not a dust mask) would be an excellent accessory.

Some good advice here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Read the label. Wash it. Rinse it. Get a wet vac to suck it up, then ventillate like heck to dry it quickly and completely. Bleach is corrosive, including fumes.

Reply to
NorMinn

It's a tile-over-masonry floor. Unless it got flooded with sewage, I'd just clean it with more water and then dry the basement thoroughly. Spray any wood/cloth/sheetrock that got wet with mildicide, but the tile doesn't need it.

Reply to
default

Most respirator cartridges do not protect from chlorine gas.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch