Leveling material for concrete

I need to level an 18 x 8 foot section of concrete. The existing concrete is inside a conditioned building. We wish to level it out and then tile the floor after we build a walk in cooler over the level floor.

Is there a product that can be used that isn't affected by +30 degree's and allows us to tile over it?

The real problem is the leveling process. The floor should not be out by more than

1/16 inch at any one place.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
Geoman

I don't think any of the normal masonry products would be bothered by mere freezing temperatures, once you've let them cure. If you're doing a build-in-place installation for the cooler, why do you need the floor that level? Just as a substrate for the tile? If you level the floor with epoxy, you can skip the tile entirely.

Reply to
default

1/16

Thanks for the kind reply.

On one box, the floor is uneven and tile work would be difficult to make it look good, we also need to control drainage and the floor now slants a little off center to the wrong wall.

On the other system it has insulated 8 ft by 2.5 ft floor panels which lock together to themselves and also to the walls. If the concrete subfloor isn't level the gaps between the panels grow bigger and bigger and the last panel to be locked down could be off by inches. This is a real problem in the industry due to floors being off level just a small amount. Even if you get the panels together the locking mechanisms are stressed and then vapor barriers are broken and moisture settles in the panels. So, a floor being level is extremely critical when you install an insulated box with insulated panels. The unit without insulated panels require it for drainage and also for symmetry.

As to the epoxy, I'm not familiar with this; can you link me to something concerning it please?

I had heard that there was a masonry product that you can mix and just pour it out and it levels itself, but of course the people who mention this stuff never have a name or a company :-)

Thank you very much for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

small

That's weird. If I was designing a system for that sort of thing, I'd bed the floor panels down in construction foam as if the WERE tiles, but there's probably some reason that won't work.

stuff may be a little excessive for your needs, or maybe not. freezers is one of the applications on their list, though.

You can get DIY kits from

they look like screwballs, from the quality of their website,

and it

Presumeably, they mean something like this:

But if you check even at home despot, and ask for self-leveling concrete or leveling compound, you ought to get hits.

Reply to
default

Help yourself

Google search for "self leveling underlayment"

Any product by Mapei, Laticrete, Fritz, or Ardex will exceed anything your looking for. There are other good manufacturers, I have just had good luck with these.

Many walk ins, especially freezers use insulated floors to conserve temperature and reduce moisture problems.

existing concrete is inside a

the floor after we build a

+30 degree's and allows us

not be out by more than

bothered by

you're doing

you level the

to make it look good, we

off center to the wrong

isn't level the gaps between

locked down could be off by

being off level just a small

mechanisms are stressed and then

So, a floor being level is

insulated panels. The unit

symmetry.

something concerning it

and just pour it out and it

never have a name or a

Reply to
DanG

Thanks to all for the great links and the suggestion of what to look for on google. These have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

The links have also helped me with a project that I've been battling for years at my own home, so you posts have helped more than you can imagine.

Thanks again Rich

Reply to
Geoman